The Student Room Group
Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website

Lancaster Vs Exeter

Thinking of studying Computer Science, with my top choices being Lancaster and Exeter University. Campus at Lancaster seems nicer/greener, but the surrounding city at Exeter seems livelier. Both courses seem to be a good fit, so struggling to choose between them.

Anyone know whether one is better thought of than the other?
I did a masters at Lancaster and it was fine to have the university facilities nearby but I found it quite bleak, especially in winter and its quite cut off from the town of Lancaster, we used to hitch hike but I'm not recommending that nowadays. I know nothing about Exeter
Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website
Hi,

I'm currently in my 4th year at Lancaster and I love it here. The campus is lovely and a great place to be to study and live. I also appreciate the city itself. I live in the city centre and there is great bike/walking routes and also a very frequent and fast bus service to campus. It is also very easy to walk anywhere you need to go within the city. It is a smaller city, but I have never found that it was lacking anything I wanted, and if there is anything I want to go and do which isn't in the city, it is very easy to go to the lake district, Manchester, London, or most other cities.

I hope this helps!

Sam
4th Year Mechanical Engineering
Reply 3
Original post by Lancaster University
Hi,

I'm currently in my 4th year at Lancaster and I love it here. The campus is lovely and a great place to be to study and live. I also appreciate the city itself. I live in the city centre and there is great bike/walking routes and also a very frequent and fast bus service to campus. It is also very easy to walk anywhere you need to go within the city. It is a smaller city, but I have never found that it was lacking anything I wanted, and if there is anything I want to go and do which isn't in the city, it is very easy to go to the lake district, Manchester, London, or most other cities.

I hope this helps!

Sam
4th Year Mechanical Engineering

Hi Sam! I'm a Spanish student thinking about applying to Lancaster for my year abroad. I love the course offer, and the campus and people seem lovely. But since you mentioned visiting other places in England while staying there, would you mind explaining that a bit more? Are there good transport links from Lancaster? Being an international student, getting to travel to different cities while in the UK is important me, and I was a bit worried about Lancaster not being as close to them as the other universities I'm considering.
Original post by lauura_
Hi Sam! I'm a Spanish student thinking about applying to Lancaster for my year abroad. I love the course offer, and the campus and people seem lovely. But since you mentioned visiting other places in England while staying there, would you mind explaining that a bit more? Are there good transport links from Lancaster? Being an international student, getting to travel to different cities while in the UK is important me, and I was a bit worried about Lancaster not being as close to them as the other universities I'm considering.

Hi @lauura_,

To follow on from Sam, the transport links for Lancaster are great! Lancaster falls onto the west coast train line which connects London, Manchester, Preston, Edinburgh and Glasgow. With Manchester being around an hour away by train, Edinburgh about 2 and a half hours and London being around 3 hours. This means if you ever wanted to explore other cities in the UK the access is very simple.

The less urban sites such as the Lake District also have easy access with regular buses and trains.

To touch on Lancaster itself, the links between the university and city center are excellent. Buses run every around every 10 minutes to the city taking 15-20 mins to get there, with cycling being under 30 mins and walking at just over an hour.

I hope this helps.
Jake (third year at Lancaster University)
Reply 5
Original post by Lancaster University
Hi @lauura_,

To follow on from Sam, the transport links for Lancaster are great! Lancaster falls onto the west coast train line which connects London, Manchester, Preston, Edinburgh and Glasgow. With Manchester being around an hour away by train, Edinburgh about 2 and a half hours and London being around 3 hours. This means if you ever wanted to explore other cities in the UK the access is very simple.

The less urban sites such as the Lake District also have easy access with regular buses and trains.

To touch on Lancaster itself, the links between the university and city center are excellent. Buses run every around every 10 minutes to the city taking 15-20 mins to get there, with cycling being under 30 mins and walking at just over an hour.

I hope this helps.
Jake (third year at Lancaster University)

It does help a lot! Thank you so much!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending