The Student Room Group

Are these GCSEs good enough for Medicine at a London University

In my GCSEs I achieved 9888776666, I'd like to study medicine and preferably at a London university.

Would these GCSEs hold me back as I know it's very competitive and I got a lot of 6s.

I understand a lot of the application is dependent on UCAT/BMAT, PS, experience, and A lvl predicts. However, would these GCSEs hold back my application in any way?
Reply 1
Well, I got 887776544 in my GCSEs, and got A*AAB (Physics, biology, chemistry and maths) in my A levels and I got into KCL medicine. Don’t worry about your grades, I was worried about my 4s, never mind your 6s! A levels are more important.
You don't have to stay in London, getting into medicine is more important. Imperial doesn't score GCSE's as long as you meet their GCSE requirements, KCL is holistic so you'll need a higher UCAT score and A-level predictions, QMUL only requires 777666 and uses a 50/50 UCAS tariff/UCAT weighing, someone else can fill you in about UCL and SGUL as I don't know much about them.
Reply 3
Original post by Hiim
Well, I got 887776544 in my GCSEs, and got A*AAB (Physics, biology, chemistry and maths) in my A levels and I got into KCL medicine. Don’t worry about your grades, I was worried about my 4s, never mind your 6s! A levels are more important.

Thanks this was v reassuring!!
No reason why your gcses would hold you back - as long as you apply strategically and do your research in the year that you’re ready to apply.

This year there have been a lot of changes in how some unis decide who they’re going to invite for interview due to the recent issues with exams - unis that previously scored GCSEs and weighted them heavily are now taking less notice. This might change for next year - who knows? I think KCL used to score gcses but I’m not sure for this year. Imperial don’t really worry about gcses as long as you have AAA predicted for A levels it then is pretty much down to your BMAT. I’m not sure about the other London unis - but you have plenty of options. Plus KMMS is fairly close by and worth a look.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending