The Student Room Group

so bored at uni

I have so much free time at uni and it's actually quite frustrating because I always feel like I'm not doing enough. I've been doing all the essential readings, summarising notes and turning them into revision materials and revising. I've already done a few of my assignments but I just feel like I'm doing enough like am I doing something wrong???? I've been spending the last few days on my laptop for like 7+ hours browsing stuff and watching videos. It's been hurting my eyes so I ended up buying a book which I received 2 days ago. But how do I stop feeling like this? What else should I do with my time regarding uni work? I'm in first year btw

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Anonymous
I have so much free time at uni and it's actually quite frustrating because I always feel like I'm not doing enough. I've been doing all the essential readings, summarising notes and turning them into revision materials and revising. I've already done a few of my assignments but I just feel like I'm doing enough like am I doing something wrong???? I've been spending the last few days on my laptop for like 7+ hours browsing stuff and watching videos. It's been hurting my eyes so I ended up buying a book which I received 2 days ago. But how do I stop feeling like this? What else should I do with my time regarding uni work? I'm in first year btw

I don’t think you need to do anything regarding university work. You seem to be on track.

Why not make some plans with friends?
Reply 2
Original post by 5hyl33n
I don’t think you need to do anything regarding university work. You seem to be on track.

Why not make some plans with friends?

I actually don't have any friends at uni. I have some old friends who I still talk to but they're really far away from me
I actually don't have any friends at uni. I have some old friends who I still talk to but they're really far away from me

Have you tried joining some societies or speaking to students from your course? :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by 5hyl33n
Have you tried joining some societies or speaking to students from your course? :smile:

I haven't joined a society yet
I have spoken to some people on my course but I just never got close to any of them or saw any of them again

Hi,

As mentioned above, it sounds like you are completely on top of uni work, so well done! It's not unusual to have free time in first year. It will become less as you move through the years.

University is about having a good work-life balance. First year is about exploring what you like and who you want to spend time. I'd suggest joining society or maybe thinking about other hobbies you can lean into such as drawing or an instrument. If you want to make friends, its about putting yourself out there, maybe going to the pub or talking to people in lectures/practicals. Once you have found your group, you will feel time flying.

Hope this helps.
Jake (third year at Lancaster University)
I haven't joined a society yet
I have spoken to some people on my course but I just never got close to any of them or saw any of them again

I think you should try joining a society. See how it goes. :smile:

Hi,

Just to add to everyone's suggestions. Have you considered becoming your Course Rep?

I'm the type of person that likes to do something all the time, I found that involving myself with my course gave me something to do. It's a great opportunity to gain invaluable interpersonal skills, as well as a good way to form friendships with your cohort.

Similar to this, you could become a Student Ambassador for your university. Not only will you get a little bit of money on the side, but you will also meet and work with other students outside of your course.

Hope this helps,

- Jesse, 3rd Year Animation Student

You are doing enough. You are doing the work and also revision which is great. But you need to have a fine balance of work and play and although watching videos is great, too much screen time can take its toll. You need to do other things. Do sport, join a society you like to go to.
Wow- I wish I had free time... i'm in my first year too but unfortunately i'm drowned in work and assignments and barely have any free time at all.
what university is this my dude?
what university is this my dude?

keele
I have so much free time at uni and it's actually quite frustrating because I always feel like I'm not doing enough. I've been doing all the essential readings, summarising notes and turning them into revision materials and revising. I've already done a few of my assignments but I just feel like I'm doing enough like am I doing something wrong???? I've been spending the last few days on my laptop for like 7+ hours browsing stuff and watching videos. It's been hurting my eyes so I eJoinded up buying a book which I received 2 days ago. But how do I stop feeling like this? What else should I do with my time regarding uni work? I'm in first year btw

Join Uni societies, honestly best thing I did when I was at Uni! It will really help you to get internships and jobs after.

Hey,

Completely get the feeling of feeling like you're not doing enough - I've been prone to working way too much in the past too. But honestly, there's more to uni than just working, and your mental health should always be a priority. So if you're feeling bored and frustrated, I would say try to get out your comfort zone and join some societies. What are you interested in?

I'm not sure what uni you're at but here's a link to uni of nottingham's A-Z of societies in case that gives you any inspiration!
https://su.nottingham.ac.uk/societies
Spending time with like minded people doing something fun >>>

Hope you find something you enjoy,
Lucy

Hi there,

I hope you're well!

If you feel like you're on top of your uni work - and you're doing everything that is expected of you then you can't really do anymore!

In terms of finding other things to do, I'd definitely recommend getting involved in any societies that might be of particular interest to you. If there are no societies that you find interesting - see if your university will let you make your own :smile: Additionally, depending on the city your university is in, there are usually a lot of flexible part time jobs. This might be a good idea if you want to earn a little bit of pocket-money, as well as meet people that you would never have met otherwise. 2 of my best friends I met through my University part-time job, and I would never have met them if it wasn't for the job. As well, look and see if there are any volunteering opportunities that you might want to get involved in - a good way to do this is to speak to your Student Union and seeing if there are any opportunities that they offer. It could be a good way to develop your skills, and again meet people that you would never have met otherwise.

Best of luck to you,

Ana :smile:
University of Liverpool Rep.
Hello there

I am sorry to hear that you feel that you are not doing enough! I there aren't any societies or clubs that you find interesting you could have a look into volunteering. It is a great experience and a good way to do some networking while boosting your CV. It may lead to a job later on down the line but as a minimum it gives you great experience and shows you have put yourself out there whilst studying at uni.

I hope things start getting better!
Best wishes
Andrea
The expectation is that you'll work about 40 hours a week, i.e. full time job hours. If you sleep 8 hours a day, then that leaves you with 8 hours of free time Mon-Fri and 16 hours of free time at the weekend. Yes, that's a lot of free time if you literally have nothing else in your life. Do you really not have any hobbies or interests? You don't do any sports, you don't do anything musical, you don't do anything creative, you're not involved in any volunteering...? I mean, some people don't, but when people talk about how busy they are at university, it's normally because in addition to their basic 40 hours a week of work they are doing a load of other stuff too, rather than because uni work is filling every waking hour.

You don't need to do any more work in fact you could probably do less. In terms of filling up time theres plenty of options. Sports- either competitive or non competitive
General societies- pick something you enjoy, are passionate about or that you know have good socials
Volunteering
Pick up a new hobby!

what course are you doing?
Reply 19
Do a group study tutorial.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending