The Student Room Group

A level Biology Question

Hey,

I don't really understand how to answer this question, please can someone help me? Thank you.
(edited 2 years ago)
This is a rather awkward question isn’t it?

what do you know about active sites and amino acids in relation to enzymes?
Reply 2
Original post by CaptainDuckie
This is a rather awkward question isn’t it?

what do you know about active sites and amino acids in relation to enzymes?

I know! I just finished revising enzymes and wanted to do some practice questions, but was worried when I couldn't do this. Amino acids make up proteins, they're monomers. The sequence of amino acids determines the shape but I don't know how to apply this to the question. Thank you!
Original post by Mentor05
I know! I just finished revising enzymes and wanted to do some practice questions, but was worried when I couldn't do this. Amino acids make up proteins, they're monomers. The sequence of amino acids determines the shape but I don't know how to apply this to the question. Thank you!

yeah, sure. so you have amino acids, what bonds do these link together by and how is this illustrated in the diagram do you think?
Reply 4
yeah, sure. so you have amino acids, what bonds do these link together by and how is this illustrated in the diagram do you think?

Is it peptide bonds? I am confused if I'm honest. Thanks so much!
Is it peptide bonds? I am confused if I'm honest. Thanks so much!

yeah, that’s correct. so I’m assuming you’ve learnt the different structures of amino acids right? Think about that. Think about how that diagram links to these structures? what can show these peptide bonds?

I have never seen this question before by the way so it’s alright to just use information you already know :smile:
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 6
yeah, that’s correct. so I’m assuming you’ve learnt the different structures of amino acids right? Think about that. Think about how that diagram links to these structures? what can show these peptide bonds?

I have never seen this question before by the way so it’s alright to just use information you already know :smile:

Yep, the primary, secondary, tertiary and quaternary. But, I don't know how I could apply this. I'm thinking that the amino acid would be the dotted line but that's just a guess.
Yep, the primary, secondary, tertiary and quaternary. But, I don't know how I could apply this. I'm thinking that the amino acid would be the dotted line but that's just a guess.

You know what? That does seem plausible, however I would’ve said the dots are the amino acids and the dotted line are the peptide bonds... but I’m pretty sure amino acids are meant to be next to each other, so you might be right on that one. The secondary would be the coils wouldn’t it?

How about the active site?

Do you have the mark scheme for this by any chance also?
Reply 8
You know what? That does seem plausible, however I would’ve said the dots are the amino acids and the dotted line are the peptide bonds... but I’m pretty sure amino acids are meant to be next to each other, so you might be right on that one. The secondary would be the coils wouldn’t it?

How about the active site?

Do you have the mark scheme for this by any chance also?

Nope, no mark scheme unfortunately. I am really confused! This is what I think.
Nope, no mark scheme unfortunately. I am really confused! This is what I think.

The active site is a pocket in the 3D shape of the protein that substrate can fit / this could be the area marked off by the dotted lines. The amino acids are on the polypeptide (the solid line), so they could be the 4 spots / dots on the vertices of the rectangular area.
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 10
Original post by thomas.rhett
The active site is a pocket in the 3D shape of the protein that substrate can fit / this could be the area marked off by the dotted lines. The amino acids are on the polypeptide (the solid line), so they could be the 4 spots / dots on the vertices of the rectangular area.

Thanks so much! That makes sense. Would it be like this?
Reply 11
Also, it then asks what you would say about the shape of the substrate in the enzyme above. I would say it's completely complementary to the active site so that they can bind, but I don't really see this in the diagram and just remember revising that.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending