The Student Room Group

Can an 18 year old who has a level 3 qualification already apply for another?

I am 16 right now studying creative media at level 3 however when I finish this course I want to do another course at the same college and do business at level 3. Is it possible to get this for free? Or would it have to be decided whether or not due to household income that I'd get it for free or not? I'm getting dead confused as I've been told you can only have one level 3 qualification
Original post by milliewignall_
I am 16 right now studying creative media at level 3 however when I finish this course I want to do another course at the same college and do business at level 3. Is it possible to get this for free? Or would it have to be decided whether or not due to household income that I'd get it for free or not? I'm getting dead confused as I've been told you can only have one level 3 qualification

Hi there you can do the course you are doing for 1 year and then do the btec business course for 2 years . Which would not cost you anything. It will be free if you that way.

Actually I'm pretty sure that this is wrong. I think that was only referring to an Extended Level 3 qualification. You can still have 2 Level 3 qualifications, as long as one is not an Extended one. However I could be wrong! That said, as a rule of thumb a college course at 18 should still be publicly funded, so it's definitely worth applying for the course!
Reply 3
I know that it is possible to be funded to complete A levels then do a fully funded level 3 Access to Higher Education Course (as long as the Access Course was started whilst the person was still 18).
You can have as many level 3 qualifications as you want. I did 4 A levels many years ago and then another level 3 qualification last year.

I don't think you will be able to do two 2 year level 3 courses back to back, though - the last year you'd be 19 going on 20. I can't find a link but I'm pretty sure you can only stay in school/college for free (or at all) for one year past your normal leaving age.
You can apply for Advanced Learner loan or they might give it to you for free.

If you are under 19 when you start then it will be free.
I myself did a-levels, then went to college to do a 2 year level 3 diploma in childcre and education. Both were free.
Original post by skylark2
You can have as many level 3 qualifications as you want. I did 4 A levels many years ago and then another level 3 qualification last year.

I don't think you will be able to do two 2 year level 3 courses back to back, though - the last year you'd be 19 going on 20. I can't find a link but I'm pretty sure you can only stay in school/college for free (or at all) for one year past your normal leaving age.

You ca do 2 level 3 courses back to back.
I did a-levels, then did a level 3 diploma in childcare and education straight after. Both were free.
If you are under 19 when you start then they will be free.
Reply 8
Original post by Emma:-)
I myself did a-levels, then went to college to do a 2 year level 3 diploma in childcre and education. Both were free.

Agree.
Original post by Emma:-)

See I'm the opposite I know I said I want to do business but have changed my mind to A Levels after this course. The careers advice person said it will cost me when I'm 20 but the student finance at my college said that it will be free
Yes you can. I'm 19 right now and I'm already on my second level 3 course. I did a level course from 2018 to 2020 and then started another one of a different subject in 2020 at the age of 18. Originally the college was telling me I couldn't do that without paying you actually can do it so don't listen to them. I haven't had to pay anything because I was still under the age of 19 when I signed up and started it
Reply 11
Hi,
I found your info very interesting.
My son is currently studying a BTEC LEVEL 3 business diploma. He is interested in doing a T Level course in management and admin at the same college. He's about to turn 18.
He's applied for the course but has subsequently been refused on the same grounds of funding you've mentioned.
I would like to use your situation to appeal, would you be so kind and assist me please?
I think there are alot of young people in the same situation.
Many thanks for your help.
M
Original post by 2up2down
Hi,
My son is currently studying a BTEC LEVEL 3 business diploma. He is interested in doing a T Level course in management and admin at the same college. He's about to turn 18.
He's applied for the course but has subsequently been refused on the same grounds of funding you've mentioned.
I would like to use your situation to appeal, would you be so kind and assist me please?
M

Hiya,

I have since found out that if the course is classed as a 2 year course, like A Levels and T Levels, you get for free if you start it at 18.
If he was to do another BTEC however this would mean he would only get his first year for free.
Hope this helps
Reply 13
Hi,
Thanks for that.
He's just about to finish his BTEC but wants to do T Level. College won't accept him because they refuse funding it on the basis that it's the same type of course eg. There is apparently no progression, they are both classed as A levels although one is business and the other management
M
Hi,
Thanks for that.
He's just about to finish his BTEC but wants to do T Level. College won't accept him because they refuse funding it on the basis that it's the same type of course eg. There is apparently no progression, they are both classed as A levels although one is business and the other management
M

This is correct. He will not be funded to complete two similar qualifications. The T level in management, is the reason that Business BTECs are being phased out due to the overlap in content. If he has a complete Level 3 Business qualification, there is no advantage to him, to do a T level. He should be progressing to either University, a Level 4 or higher apprenticeship, or to employment.
This is an extract from the Government funding rules;
'Institutions must be able to demonstrate educational progression for students recruited onto programmes funded by ESFA'.
the full document is at; https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/1147131/16_to_19_funding_guidance_Regulations_2023_to_2024-Final_Draft_1_AR_commsME__1_.pdf
(edited 11 months ago)
Reply 15
Hi,
M

Hi did your son manage to get the second level 3 free ? My daughter is doing Buisness but wants to do a level 3 in law .

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending