The Student Room Group

A level maths

Obviously a level maths is difficult, however I am questioning my ability to do well in the subject. I am currently in year 11 doing my second round of mocks. In my first year 10 mocks I achieved a grade 6. My teacher has predicted me a 7 for the end of this year. From experience is there people in your classes that have been able to cope with the content and do well. I believe I am a hard worker and would be willing to put in the work. I plan to study biology and geography alongside this subject. Initially I was torn between maths and PE, however have been informed PE closes doors and is ‘soft’, I really do enjoy PE but as I am unsure of my future plans I think maths will be better for me.
If you put in the effort, maths is very doable.
Original post by lozzabragan
Obviously a level maths is difficult, however I am questioning my ability to do well in the subject. I am currently in year 11 doing my second round of mocks. In my first year 10 mocks I achieved a grade 6. My teacher has predicted me a 7 for the end of this year. From experience is there people in your classes that have been able to cope with the content and do well. I believe I am a hard worker and would be willing to put in the work. I plan to study biology and geography alongside this subject. Initially I was torn between maths and PE, however have been informed PE closes doors and is ‘soft’, I really do enjoy PE but as I am unsure of my future plans I think maths will be better for me.

So far, everyone in my class (I’m in year 12, for context) can cope with the content. It’s mainly GCSE stuff but amplified a tiny bit. Of course, that’ll change and A-level maths will get harder (just like any subject, really) but if you’re willing to put in the effort, you could cope with maths.
do you think you can get a grade 7+ for maths?
Original post by CaptainDuckie
do you think you can get a grade 7+ for maths?

Yes I have started putting in much more effort, revising the aspects I got wrong in my mock earlier in the year. And this time around I feel I did a lot better, particularly in the non calculator aspect, but I have not yet received my grade so do not want to speak too soon.
Original post by lozzabragan
Yes I have started putting in much more effort, revising the aspects I got wrong in my mock earlier in the year. And this time around I feel I did a lot better, particularly in the non calculator aspect, but I have not yet received my grade so do not want to speak too soon.

you don’t seem confident.
Original post by 0ptics
So far, everyone in my class (I’m in year 12, for context) can cope with the content. It’s mainly GCSE stuff but amplified a tiny bit. Of course, that’ll change and A-level maths will get harder (just like any subject, really) but if you’re willing to put in the effort, you could cope with maths.

This will amp up very soon, first term is super easy.

And OP, in my school the consensus was if you get an 8/9 at A GCSE you’ll get an A, if you’re lucky an A*, if you get a 7 you’ll be a B, 6 is a C etc. Is gets very hard at a level I got a 9 at GCSE and really struggled.

Quick Reply

Latest