The Student Room Group

Official History (and joint options) applications thread 2022

Hi there!

Here's a thread for all of us applying for history degrees this year!

1) What degree?
2) Which Universities?
3) A Levels + predicted grades (or equivalent)?
4) GCSEs or equivalent?
5) Favourite History subject?

(@StrawberryDreams) All other 2022 threads can be found at: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=7066634

Scroll to see replies

I'll start I suppose!

1) What degree? Joint history and Ancient History
2) Which Universities? Kent, Manchester, Cardiff, Swansea and Exeter
3) A Levels + predicted grades (or equivalent)? A in History, B (A? possibly?) in English Language and B in English Literature
4) GCSEs or equivalent? [2019] 777766655
5) Favourite History subject? I love loads of them bit my favourite is always mythology (or more generally social/Cultural history where you can see the day to day lives of people)

Just about ready to send my application off! Hoping to submit it this week and so it should be fully gone by next week or the week after (depending on how long my reference takes)!
Original post by Immortal-Reaper
Hi there!

Here's a thread for all of us applying for history degrees this year!

1) What degree?
2) Which Universities?
4) GCSEs or equivalent?

(@StrawberryDreams) All other 2022 threads can be found at: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=7066634

Thank you! All added :biggrin:
1) What degree? Straight history
2) Which Universities? Oxford, Durham, Warwick, QMUL, Royal Holloway
3) A Levels + predicted grades (or equivalent)? A*A*A (Biology, Psychology and History + A* on EPQ
4) GCSEs or equivalent? 99999887
5) Favourite History subject? Definitely medieval history! At the moment it’s probably pre-1600 royal history, especially the lives of queens

Sent off my application back in October and have two offers! Good luck everyone :smile:
Original post by bethwinfield
1) What degree? Straight history
2) Which Universities? Oxford, Durham, Warwick, QMUL, Royal Holloway
3) A Levels + predicted grades (or equivalent)? A*A*A (Biology, Psychology and History + A* on EPQ
4) GCSEs or equivalent? 99999887
5) Favourite History subject? Definitely medieval history! At the moment it’s probably pre-1600 royal history, especially the lives of queens

Sent off my application back in October and have two offers! Good luck everyone :smile:

Congrats! Who are the offers from? Good Luck with Oxford!
Original post by Immortal-Reaper
Congrats! Who are the offers from? Good Luck with Oxford!

QMUL and Royal Holloway!! Also going to an OPA interview at QMUL next Wednesday :smile: Thanks! Good luck with your options too
1) What degree?
History and Politics/ International Relations

2) Which Universities?
St. Andrews, Edinburgh, Durham, KCL, Warwick

IB 39
HL: History 7, Econs 7, HL English A L&L 6
SL: Chinese B 7, ESS 6, Maths 4
ToK/ EE (History): C and B

4) GCSEs or equivalent?
Did Singapore O Levels: 4 A1s, 1 A2, 2 B3s, 1 C6

20th century history. Particularly the 2 World Wars. Also Middle Eastern/ Asia-Pacific History

Already got an offer from St. Andrews for International Relations and Modern History, which I plan to take.
1) What degree?
History and English
2) Which Universities?
Oxford, QMUL and International relations at LSE and KCL
40 IB points
777 HL English, Anthropology, History
665 SL ESS, Spanish, Maths ai
4) GCSEs or equivalent?
5) Favourite History subject

Rise of communism and the cold war
Reply 8
1) What degree?: History, History and Politics, History and Economics
2) Which Universities? LSE, St Andrews, Durham, Warwick, Cambridge
3) A Levels + predicted grades (or equivalent)? History, Maths, Politics, Sociology, A*A*A*A*
4) GCSEs or equivalent? 99999996
5) Favourite History subject? Theories surrounding historical progression and all the vast amount of debates surrounding it.

Good luck everyone, wish you all the best off luck in your applications and A-Levels!
I don't know anyone else applying for history :frown: or really even applying for uni in general as all my friends doing BTECs lol.
Hello everyone! Your historical interests all sound really interesting! Good luck with it all.

1) Degree: Some straight History, some combined History and Ancient History
2) Universities: Cambridge (History), Durham (Ancient, Medieval and Modern History), York (History), Exeter (History and Ancient History) and Lancaster (History)
3) A levels and predicted grades: History (A*), English Literature (A*), Art and Design (A)
4) GCSEs: 9999998888
5) I am really interested in the history of democracy, particularly the connections between ancient Athens and 20th century USA

I have offers from York and Lancaster and an interview for Cambridge in early December (eek!)
Original post by Jason03
1) What degree?: History, History and Politics, History and Economics
2) Which Universities? LSE, St Andrews, Durham, Warwick, Cambridge
3) A Levels + predicted grades (or equivalent)? History, Maths, Politics, Sociology, A*A*A*A*
4) GCSEs or equivalent? 99999996
5) Favourite History subject? Theories surrounding historical progression and all the vast amount of debates surrounding it.

Good luck everyone, wish you all the best off luck in your applications and A-Levels!
I don't know anyone else applying for history :frown: or really even applying for uni in general as all my friends doing BTECs lol.

I’m also applying for History at Cambridge! What college are you, and have you got an interview yet? Good luck with it all!!
hello!
1) What degree? straight history
2) Which Universities? Cambridge, St Andrews, Edinburgh, Sheffield and Leeds
3) A Levels + predicted grades (or equivalent)? History A*, ancient history A*, R.S. A*, EPQ A*
4) GCSEs or equivalent? 9999988876
5) Favourite History subject? medieval history all the way!! especially early medieval, anglo-saxons etc.

i applied in october and i've got offers from Edinburgh and Sheffield so far!
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by allyinwonderland
Hello everyone! Your historical interests all sound really interesting! Good luck with it all.

1) Degree: Some straight History, some combined History and Ancient History
2) Universities: Cambridge (History), Durham (Ancient, Medieval and Modern History), York (History), Exeter (History and Ancient History) and Lancaster (History)
3) A levels and predicted grades: History (A*), English Literature (A*), Art and Design (A)
4) GCSEs: 9999998888
5) I am really interested in the history of democracy, particularly the connections between ancient Athens and 20th century USA

I have offers from York and Lancaster and an interview for Cambridge in early December (eek!)

hi! what college did you apply to? i've also applied for history and nervous about my interview in December!
I’m also applying for History at Cambridge! What college are you, and have you got an interview yet? Good luck with it all!!

Got an interview last week! Applied to trinity hall, where did you apply? Good luck with your interview and HAA
Original post by hello2212
hi! what college did you apply to? i've also applied for history and nervous about my interview in December!

Newnham College! How about you? Good luck with it all - I’m also very nervous but excited too x
Original post by Jason03
Got an interview last week! Applied to trinity hall, where did you apply? Good luck with your interview and HAA

Newnham for me! Good luck with everything, I haven’t done any interview or HAA practice yet so I guess I better get on with all that… oops! Haha :smile:
Newnham College! How about you? Good luck with it all - I’m also very nervous but excited too x

I nearly went with Newnham, but I applied to Emmanuel instead. Good Luck with your interview and HAA and everything!!
Sent my application off today!
Final choices are: (my predicted grades ended up being my original ones at BBB)

University of Kent - Ancient, Medieval and Modern History (ABB - BBB)

University of Cardiff - Ancient History and History (ABB - BBB)

University of Winchester - Classical Studies (104-120 UCAS points)

University of Wales Trinity Saint David - Ancient History (95 UCAS points)

University of Swansea - Ancient History and History (BBB)

I don't know what order yet as I'm going to wait to see what offers I get first and then decide based on accommodation etc.
Newnham for me! Good luck with everything, I haven’t done any interview or HAA practice yet so I guess I better get on with all that… oops! Haha :smile:

When I was thinking about applying for Cambridge I was looking at Newnham and even went to visit (I live near Cambridge) it was super nice and there were even students walking about in their capes (if that's what they're called)

Good luck to everyone applying for Oxbridge!
Reply 19
1) What degree? History and French (Pure Hist at LSE)

2) Which Universities? Oxford LSE St Andrews UCL and Exeter
3) A Levels + predicted grades (or equivalent)? A*A*A*A
4) GCSEs or equivalent? 999999999
5) Favourite History subject? For me it has to be religious or military history, specifically military history of the 16th, 17th and 18th centuries

Sent my application in Oct, and got offers from Exeter and St Andrews... At one point I was sure I would get 5 rejections so I suppose it is a confidence boost to realise that someone does want to take me in.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending