The Student Room Group

English lit

I am doing some practice essays to help me with english lit but i have come across a question that is a bit vague and i don’t understand. It is for an inspector calls and it is “how far are male characters presented as irresponsible in the play.”
Are we supposed to talk about every male character including the inspector and are we supposed to talk about female characters too? Thanks in advance
Its been a while since I did An Inspector Calls essay but, I believe you would have to assess the male characters in the idea of 'responsible v irresponsible' structure.

You would have to consider the actions of the Inspector, Gerald, Eric and Mr Birling.

So, you could argue that whilst Eric is depicted as irresponsible in the beginning, heightening his dependency on alcohol, that with the Inspector's constant force in the household that, like Sheila, he faces what he's done however, is still reluctant to take total responsibility etc.

Gerald and Mr Birling however, are stubborn and refuse any responsibility for Eva's death. They show a lack of care and empathy towards her as well as, other women in the play and the working-class.

Sorry if that did not help. But, I hope it helps with structure etc.
Reply 2
Original post by nevecait18
Its been a while since I did An Inspector Calls essay but, I believe you would have to assess the male characters in the idea of 'responsible v irresponsible' structure.

You would have to consider the actions of the Inspector, Gerald, Eric and Mr Birling.

So, you could argue that whilst Eric is depicted as irresponsible in the beginning, heightening his dependency on alcohol, that with the Inspector's constant force in the household that, like Sheila, he faces what he's done however, is still reluctant to take total responsibility etc.

Gerald and Mr Birling however, are stubborn and refuse any responsibility for Eva's death. They show a lack of care and empathy towards her as well as, other women in the play and the working-class.

Sorry if that did not help. But, I hope it helps with structure etc.

So you wouldnt talk abut female characters at all? Thank you by the way
Original post by lalaer567
So you wouldnt talk abut female characters at all? Thank you by the way

Not in major depth, you can mention them but as its not a direct comparison of gender, it is not necessary.

No worries!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending