The Student Room Group

too young for degree?

hi. im 17 and will be applying to university in the next couple of months. im already taking a foundation, so naturally a degree is the next step forward. im excited, but im not confident im ready either- seeing most applicants/students are in their early 20s and over makes me worry my portfolio wont be sufficient with lack of experience. im taking fashion design. does anyone have any experiences of taking a degree at 18? id like some stories about the application process as well as student life and workload. i would be grateful for any input. thanks!
Um.... are you a British student? most people here apply for uni when they're 18...
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by dead line
hi. im 17 and will be applying to university in the next couple of months. im already taking a foundation, so naturally a degree is the next step forward. im excited, but im not confident im ready either- seeing most applicants/students are in their early 20s and over makes me worry my portfolio wont be sufficient with lack of experience. im taking fashion design. does anyone have any experiences of taking a degree at 18? id like some stories about the application process as well as student life and workload. i would be grateful for any input. thanks!

Their backgrounds are irrelevant. Each degree is different, so just focus on your degree and you'd be fine.
(edited 2 years ago)

Hi @dead line,
Actually, most people apply for university in the last year of college when they're 17/18 anyway so I wouldn't be concerned if I were you about being 'too young', its a completely normal stage to start applying. But if lack of experience for your portfolio is what concerns you and you think that could affect the prospects of a successful application, then by all means apply a year later and use that gap as a chance to build on the relevant experience you think you need to apply.

Can't speak much though in terms of the fashion design course as that's not my area I'm afraid but I hope that still somewhat helped! :smile:

Sarah- ULaw student ambassador
If you start your degree aged 17 its more complicated - you are not an 'adult' and therefore a) you cant sign a contract in your own right and b) teaching staff who have contact with you has to have been CRB checked. The Uni has a duty of vare towards you and there will be lots of extra process stuff that you will have to do. And your social life will be very limited simply because you cant drink etc.

All in all, its not a great idea and taking a gap year so that you are the 'right age' when you start Uni is far better. If you stay at home and do a one year Art and Design Foundation course you will have a better portfolio, and avoid the extra year's student loan. More info on A&D here : https://www.thecompleteuniversityguide.co.uk/student-advice/what-to-study/art-and-design-foundation-diplomas
Reply 5
Original post by summerbirdreads
Um.... are you a British student? most people here apply for uni when they're 18...

yes i am, ill be 18 by next academic year
Reply 6
Original post by The University of Law Students
Hi @dead line,
Actually, most people apply for university in the last year of college when they're 17/18 anyway so I wouldn't be concerned if I were you about being 'too young', its a completely normal stage to start applying. But if lack of experience for your portfolio is what concerns you and you think that could affect the prospects of a successful application, then by all means apply a year later and use that gap as a chance to build on the relevant experience you think you need to apply.

Can't speak much though in terms of the fashion design course as that's not my area I'm afraid but I hope that still somewhat helped! :smile:

Sarah- ULaw student ambassador

hi sarah,
thanks so much for your advice! i will take it into consideration : )
Reply 7
Original post by federam
Their backgrounds are irrelevant. Each degree is different, so just focus on your degree and you'd be fine.

thank you for the advice!

I mean I havent done my degree but if all goes to plan I should be starting my undergraduate degree right after I turn 18 so will most ppl ik so...
Reply 9
Original post by the_pharaoh
I mean I havent done my degree but if all goes to plan I should be starting my undergraduate degree right after I turn 18 so will most ppl ik so...

nice to know, thank you for your reply! ill take that into consideration
yes i am, ill be 18 by next academic year

Then why are you saying you're young? everyone applies to uni around this time...
If you are 18 before rhe first day of term then you will be the same age as 95% of everyone else starting their first year at Uni......

Quick Reply