The Student Room Group

burnout med school

I've just started medical school and i'm already so behind on work - idk how its even happened, I'll work for 8-9 hours each day but those hours are so unproductive that the work I have to show for it looks more like 2-3 hours. Im getting so easily distracted but I'm not sure what by, I don't have my phone on or music or other people around me when I'm working but I just can't focus? I feel so tired :frown:

I did a test the other week, and surprisingly I actually did well considering I haven't covered 1/4 of the content on it - not 100% or anything, but I somehow did better than a few kids in my group who actually had done all the work? So im not sure whether I should just keep going and hope it gets better? I feel stressed knowing there's a massive pile of work that I haven't done, but at the same time if I say I'm stressed, my tutor will probably just look at my test score and say I have no need to worry.

am really scared that this test score was a fluke :/
Reply 1
find someone to revise with
i understand how it feels i am revising for my mocks and feel like im burning out but as soon as i start revising with my friend and we are firing questions at each other i actually make progress.
try making a competition on who can get the most questions correct
also you need to keep your blood moving to reduce the sluggish feeling so do a set of pressups or something every 30 - 60 mins
Original post by Anonymous
I've just started medical school and i'm already so behind on work - idk how its even happened, I'll work for 8-9 hours each day but those hours are so unproductive that the work I have to show for it looks more like 2-3 hours. Im getting so easily distracted but I'm not sure what by, I don't have my phone on or music or other people around me when I'm working but I just can't focus? I feel so tired :frown:

I did a test the other week, and surprisingly I actually did well considering I haven't covered 1/4 of the content on it - not 100% or anything, but I somehow did better than a few kids in my group who actually had done all the work? So im not sure whether I should just keep going and hope it gets better? I feel stressed knowing there's a massive pile of work that I haven't done, but at the same time if I say I'm stressed, my tutor will probably just look at my test score and say I have no need to worry.

Is this 8-9 hours in addition to lectures/formal group work?
Reply 3
Original post by Anonymous

1)find someone to revise with
2)do quickfire questions it really helps
3)you need to keep you blood flowing to prevent the sluggish feeling so do a set of press ups or something every 30 - 60 minuets
i know its hard im revising for my mocks but it makes it so much easier with a friend
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by Democracy
Is this 8-9 hours in addition to lectures/formal group work?

Yeah, apart from days when I've got a rly busy schedule with something on almost every hour. Then I'll carry over the extra work into the weekend, so its like an average of 8-9 hours a day through the week.
Reply 5
Original post by owa1n
1)find someone to revise with
2)do quickfire questions it really helps
3)you need to keep you blood flowing to prevent the sluggish feeling so do a set of press ups or something every 30 - 60 minuets
i know its hard im revising for my mocks but it makes it so much easier with a friend

Thanks for the tips, I'll give it a go. I'm currently finding it pretty hard on the revision front since all my consolidation time has just been used up trying to catch up the stuff I haven't went through yet :/
Good luck with ur mocks as well ^^

Quick Reply

Latest