The Student Room Group

How do I learn A level chemistry?

There have been multiple nights when I just blankly stare at the chemistry booklet I've been given, and I start filling the pages with tears because I don't have a clue what the question is even asking me to do. And if that wasn't embarrassing enough, I am literally the worst person in my class. I'm aiming for an A*, because I want to study dentistry in the future, but I don't know how to get there.
Reply 1
I would ask your teacher for some help, you should not be feeling like this. It is the responsibility of your teacher to ensure you are making good progress. I would also suggest pairing up with other students in your class, the chances are that they are in the same position as you and you can help and support each other. Don't be afraid to admit your struggling and need help. Make a pest of yourself and demand support from your teacher, its their job.

Try to break down what it is exactly you are struggling with, I bought some second hand chemistry books on ebay to help, as sometimes the standard issued books are not that good. Just because they are a bit out of date and cheaper does not mean they are not helpful. Read round the subject.

Most of all dont give up, chemistry is an enjoyable subject - you just need some success to build up your confidence levels.

Try this site for some help

https://www.science-revision.co.uk/
hi, yeah dw this is an expected response. Chemistry is generally tough, don’t cry. Do you find your lessons unhelpful?
Original post by scimus63
I would ask your teacher for some help, you should not be feeling like this. It is the responsibility of your teacher to ensure you are making good progress. I would also suggest pairing up with other students in your class, the chances are that they are in the same position as you and you can help and support each other. Don't be afraid to admit your struggling and need help. Make a pest of yourself and demand support from your teacher, its their job.

Try to break down what it is exactly you are struggling with, I bought some second hand chemistry books on ebay to help, as sometimes the standard issued books are not that good. Just because they are a bit out of date and cheaper does not mean they are not helpful. Read round the subject.

Most of all dont give up, chemistry is an enjoyable subject - you just need some success to build up your confidence levels.

thanks a lot, I'll definitely try whatever I can. I got a test back today and I only got 16/30, and even though I feel very disheartened I will try my best. I'm definitely quite scared, just because it's already almost December, and time goes fast, so my exams are right around the corner. I feel like I won't be able to achieve that A* - I feel like I'll spend a ton of money on tutors and the best I'll get is a B.
Original post by CaptainDuckie
hi, yeah dw this is an expected response. Chemistry is generally tough, don’t cry. Do you find your lessons unhelpful?

The teacher tends to look over topics very fast - there have been multiple occasions on which we literally finished a whole topic within 1 lesson, because certain parts "we'll understand ourselves", or "they're not important enough". So I try to catch him outside of lessons, to go through topics with me slowly, and it tends to be a bit more helpful then; the only problem with that is that he's obviously a busy guy, and he is always teaching a lesson when I find him. But I'll try to persevere.
T

Original post by scimus63

Thank you for the link and for the support though, I appreciate it a lot :-)
Original post by future dilf
The teacher tends to look over topics very fast - there have been multiple occasions on which we literally finished a whole topic within 1 lesson, because certain parts "we'll understand ourselves", or "they're not important enough". So I try to catch him outside of lessons, to go through topics with me slowly, and it tends to be a bit more helpful then; the only problem with that is that he's obviously a busy guy, and he is always teaching a lesson when I find him. But I'll try to persevere.

Do lots of practice questions in your free time and make summary cards when you do a topic at school
Identify your weakness first and then work on it. Weakness can be anything though like lack of understanding or ineffective study/revision techniques.
Allery chem on yt will save your life
There have been multiple nights when I just blankly stare at the chemistry booklet I've been given, and I start filling the pages with tears because I don't have a clue what the question is even asking me to do. And if that wasn't embarrassing enough, I am literally the worst person in my class. I'm aiming for an A*, because I want to study dentistry in the future, but I don't know how to get there.

This gives me deja vu w this girl I helped back in 2020 and she was in the same situation. If u need help I'm happy to help and give up some time. I study chem at uni. I'll give u some advice if u need it. Just let me k, pm or reply
Reply 10
Past papers are going to be your best friend - I know you’ve probably heard it 100s of times but believe it.
Also this YouTube page has saved me countless times. I’m not sure what board you’re doing but I do CCEA and even I’ve found this extremely helpful.
https://youtube.com/user/MrERintoul
Original post by ciaralb
Past papers are going to be your best friend - I know you’ve probably heard it 100s of times but believe it.
Also this YouTube page has saved me countless times. I’m not sure what board you’re doing but I do CCEA and even I’ve found this extremely helpful.
https://youtube.com/user/MrERintoul

Thank you so much! I'm doing OCR if anyone knows exam board specific learning materials/ yt channels?
Original post by Muhammad Razak
This gives me deja vu w this girl I helped back in 2020 and she was in the same situation. If u need help I'm happy to help and give up some time. I study chem at uni. I'll give u some advice if u need it. Just let me k, pm or reply

Thank you for offering I'll definitely pm when I need help
I am sure you will succeed, you seem to be a positive person and if you get stuck post questions on here, there are always loads of people who will help. Your last test score of 16/30 while maybe not A* is still good .
Reply 14

I'm guessing that you are in y12? I think generally it can be very hard at the beginning of a course, you have a lot of time to improve!

I guess try and figure out exactly what you are struggling with. Mostly, I think past paper questions are the most useful (especially examiners reports!) as they can help you get to know the mark scheme and what different questions want you to do, also if it's topic five especially with back titrations give yourself time at least a first, they can be tricky and the worst thing to do is panic.

Also, I'd recommend https://chemguide.co.uk/ as it's very comprehensive if you are having trouble understanding any of the more difficult concepts
Thank you for offering I'll definitely pm when I need help

cool. Good luck and the ppl who posted above gave brilliant suggestions. 1 key technique I can't stress enough is 'blurting'. So after you revise a topic/ chapter or whatever you should come back to it a day later and blurt onto a blank piece of paper what you remember. From there check your accuracy and understanding. It's one of the most effective techniques.
Thank you so much! I'm doing OCR if anyone knows exam board specific learning materials/ yt channels?

A or B?
Original post by Muhammad Razak
A or B?

OCR A
OCR A

Cool, I sat that exam board in 2019

Quick Reply

Latest