The Student Room Group

Maximum time commuting to uni

Scroll to see replies

I sort of did it last year going from near St. George’s over to Mile end. Had to leave 9.30 ish for a 12am Iecture ad you have walks either end, you want to arrive 10 mins early to maybe grab water/use loo and then it’s 2 tubes and built in delays. But really that any journey that involves going across London. I did zero study on the tube, it’s just not suitable for that.

I didn’t get involved in the social side of university as I was a mature student, but I didn’t really want to attend anything there in the evening and get back home late.

So move to Tooting if you can! Nice place.
Original post by Catherine1973
I sort of did it last year going from near St. George’s over to Mile end. Had to leave 9.30 ish for a 12am Iecture ad you have walks either end, you want to arrive 10 mins early to maybe grab water/use loo and then it’s 2 tubes and built in delays. But really that any journey that involves going across London. I did zero study on the tube, it’s just not suitable for that.

I didn’t get involved in the social side of university as I was a mature student, but I didn’t really want to attend anything there in the evening and get back home late.

So move to Tooting if you can! Nice place.

12am is midnight. Also QMUL most people commute, especially people who live locally in the East Asian community, that uni is a bit of an anomaly.
the point was, a lot of people already living in London will commute to those London universities, rather than move 7 miles to be closer with all the costs involved.

yes if you are moving to London afresh, you'd try and live near the University, but if you are already there, with family or friends, you probably would commute if possible.
Depends how many days you're in a week. I commuted for about an hour and a half when I did my MSc but I was only in two days a week. My commute to work is an hour in the morning and just over an hour at night and that's okay.
Original post by kk15405
Yeah what the topic is above. What is the maximum time you would spend commuting to university. I have started looking at universities for the course I would like to study (Medicine, like 10000 other people here are as well lol). I've been looking at St Georges in SE London however it's a 1.5 hour journey on the Underground which will see me go into Central London and come out of again.

Do you think that is possible for a 5 year degree?

I'm applying for entry in 2023, so I do have some time to think about it btw

I think it really depends on you, like it's definitely doable but will also be very intense. Maybe try it out for a bit and see how it goes?
Reply 25
Original post by jonathanemptage
Why? Why was it ok just saying it was ok really doesn’t help pros cons something like that what was good what sucked and didn’t you feel a bit left out?

Well, trains are crap and walking 25 mins in the rain is grim. But I wasn't arsed about being left out, I was 24 and already had my mates, routines, and favourite boozers
Original post by gjd800
Well, trains are crap and walking 25 mins in the rain is grim. But I wasn't arsed about being left out, I was 24 and already had my mates, routines, and favourite boozers

So a bit different from IP then would you recommend a younger student (younger than you) commute or not? personally i would for a number of different reasons.
Reply 27
So a bit different from IP then would you recommend a younger student (younger than you) commute or not? personally i would for a number of different reasons.

Not hard for a student to be younger than me now :lol:

I wouldn't recommend they do anything in particular, I just offer my own experience and let them make their own decision
I think ideally no more than 30 minutes (if you want to have an active social side to university), if you are only concerned with the academics then you have more time id say ideally less then 45 commute but some people do go further.

90 minutes is too far imo, 3 hour travel per day (and their will be LONG days, and periods of high intensity), this will be very very draining.
Original post by gjd800
Not hard for a student to be younger than me now :lol:

I wouldn't recommend they do anything in particular, I just offer my own experience and let them make their own decision

I'm the same but i was 21 when I went to uni and stayed in halls (I loved it) so had a very different experience to you.
Original post by StriderHort
Yeah pretty much, 5.5 some days and I wasn't in every day tbf

Glasgow >> Edinburgh and back, 2 trains and a bus each way. Was only Uni in Scotland that offered what I wanted and I didn't want to move.

How much.. how much did you dish out to Scotrail?
Original post by mnot
I think ideally no more than 30 minutes (if you want to have an active social side to university), if you are only concerned with the academics then you have more time id say ideally less then 45 commute but some people do go further.

90 minutes is too far imo, 3 hour travel per day (and their will be LONG days, and periods of high intensity), this will be very very draining.

I agree 100% I had a day in my second or third year with a 9 (yes 9) hour break so I had 9am-10pm and then 6-7pm a long break you can spend some time in the library but It's nice to have a place to retreat to too.
Reply 32
I'm the same but i was 21 when I went to uni and stayed in halls (I loved it) so had a very different experience to you.

Yes, when I was 21 I was living on my own in Europe, working, doing all the stuff that working in resorts entails (good and bad).

As I say, I had no real interest in the social side of things at university and it didn't bother me in the slightest. This continued through the ten years I spent in some sort of training and education. I'd been, seen, done all that stuff anyway so my position to begin with was different. I was in postgrad halls last year, aged 34, and it was largely the same. I didn't really mix with people from the course (even when we were allowed to) - they were all very young and dare I say a bit dull - and instead had mates from the normal world rather than from the College/course. I got on with a couple of the lads I lived with and we went for a bev a few times but I wouldn't say we were close. I am aware that this isn't for everyone.

I still would not offer a recommendation on this. There are too many factors, not least the personality, outlook, resilience of the person considering it.
Original post by kk15405
Yeah what the topic is above. What is the maximum time you would spend commuting to university. I have started looking at universities for the course I would like to study (Medicine, like 10000 other people here are as well lol). I've been looking at St Georges in SE London however it's a 1.5 hour journey on the Underground which will see me go into Central London and come out of again.

Do you think that is possible for a 5 year degree?

I'm applying for entry in 2023, so I do have some time to think about it btw

As @gjd800 very wisely says, it's impossible to be as definitive on this as you'd like. You can see from this thread that some people have commuted for 2+ hours and found it doable but a ballache; others would only commute one hour maximum. Given how full-on medicine is, and the number of classes you'd have spread throughout the day, I wouldn't personally opt for a long commute, but only you know how well you 'travel', if you see what I mean. If you often find yourself a bit exhausted travelling for hours a day (particularly in London), then is this something you can see yourself doing deep into your medical degree when you're already tired, stressed and fed up?
Original post by Callicious
How much.. how much did you dish out to Scotrail?

*shudder* With a student rail card (1/3rd off i think) it was still about £27 a day peak time and £18 off peak if had a half day.

The Uni did give me a pretty generous chunk of discretionary funding to put towards trains which was nice of them.
Original post by StriderHort
*shudder* With a student rail card (1/3rd off i think) it was still about £27 a day peak time and £18 off peak if had a half day.

The Uni did give me a pretty generous chunk of discretionary funding to put towards trains which was nice of them.

27... Holy christ...

At least they gave you some dosh for the trip

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending