The Student Room Group

Psychology Uni Help

Hey, I would really like to study psychology at uni however I’ve never studied it before but it sounds very interesting. I’m worried that once I start studying it at university I’ll hate it. How would I know/ what should I do? I.e read books
Original post by SF2
Hey, I would really like to study psychology at uni however I’ve never studied it before but it sounds very interesting. I’m worried that once I start studying it at university I’ll hate it. How would I know/ what should I do? I.e read books

Hi! @SF2

I know a few friends who study psychology at university.
I would definitely read around the area and maybe read some A-Level books. The course, however, does always teach you the basics in term one and you don't have to have studied psychology before to take it.
Psychology involves a lot of research methods and ethics. The best way I could describe that is like when you do experiments in science at GCSE, but involves a lot of the written work.
If you know any friends or have a teacher who teaches psychology then go and speak to them as they'll be able to tell you more about the subject in general. Also, have a look at university open days or even look at their website, as this will tell you what each university will teach on their psychology course. (Make sure that the course is BPS accredited).

I hope this helps!
Best wishes
Chloe - Official Student Rep :smile:
do some free moocs to get a feel for the subject.
Original post by SF2

@SF2
Hello!

I've just completed my MSc Psychology course so might be able to help.

A good overview of the subject and famous studies can be found here - https://www.simplypsychology.org/whatispsychology.html

If you do decide to study Psychology make sure the course is approved by the BPS. It is a very rewarding subject to study, however the market is saturated with people with Psychology degree's - it is best having a clear career goal / plan for post graduate study if you want to pursue this area.

The Arden University BSc Psychology course might interest you - https://arden.ac.uk/undergraduate/psychology-degrees/bsc-hons-psychology-bps

Marc
Arden University Student Ambassador

Quick Reply

Latest