The Student Room Group

year 10 help!!

Hello everyone I am currently in year 10. I started my gcses on the last term of year 9 so around June ish I started , and I believe I started my Sciences around March. I have ever since wanted to start 'revising'not hard-core revsion like 5,6,7 hours a day because I get stressed easily. It has been very stressful for me because because haven't nessically found what's best for me till now, when i recently got 82 percent on a chem test , so now I know what techniques work, I was just wondering, is this an okay thing to do: so whenever I get home from school, i will obviously do any homework, then maybe for about 1-2 hours I will puxk a subject (for example physics) and practice a topic within that subject I feel as if I need to recap, maybe from a week ago, a day ago, the same day, a month ago, just whatever my indistincts tell me? is this a good way to go? and also I feel like I'm gonna fail my gcaes considering I haven't recapped every since topic yet, and this is because, my friend, who is in top set, does like 8 hours of revision a day and as I compare my self it's really bringing me down and stressing me out. is it okay that I haven't nessically covered or recapped (basidallt made a revision tool) for ever single topic within my subjects? because I thought in year 8 I'd do it as I go along but that obviously hasn't happened. sorry I really needed to rant but I hope you guys understand? p.s I get rallt bad anxiety about GCSES.
Original post by imiflowerx
Hello everyone I am currently in year 10. I started my gcses on the last term of year 9 so around June ish I started , and I believe I started my Sciences around March. I have ever since wanted to start 'revising'not hard-core revsion like 5,6,7 hours a day because I get stressed easily. It has been very stressful for me because because haven't nessically found what's best for me till now, when i recently got 82 percent on a chem test , so now I know what techniques work, I was just wondering, is this an okay thing to do: so whenever I get home from school, i will obviously do any homework, then maybe for about 1-2 hours I will puxk a subject (for example physics) and practice a topic within that subject I feel as if I need to recap, maybe from a week ago, a day ago, the same day, a month ago, just whatever my indistincts tell me? is this a good way to go? and also I feel like I'm gonna fail my gcaes considering I haven't recapped every since topic yet, and this is because, my friend, who is in top set, does like 8 hours of revision a day and as I compare my self it's really bringing me down and stressing me out. is it okay that I haven't nessically covered or recapped (basidallt made a revision tool) for ever single topic within my subjects? because I thought in year 8 I'd do it as I go along but that obviously hasn't happened. sorry I really needed to rant but I hope you guys understand? p.s I get rallt bad anxiety about GCSES.

I think the first thing to say is any amount of revision in year 10 is a lot better than most of us did!! What you're doing at the moment sounds good, but honestly from my own experience, while making revision guides helped me with the small tests in yr 10, when I came back in Christmas-time yr 11 to prep for mocks, I found that the notes I had made the last year weren't really the standard of the rest of them which is natural as you get better as you practice more. Please don't worry, there's so much time left in GCSEs to get notes for all of it, one of the strategies that I take is going through during the school holidays making sure that I have notes up to date for everything that was covered that half term, as I struggle to find motivation to do it after school! It sounds like you're doing a great job, doing little and often, I'm sure you'll do just fine!! :smile:
Reply 2
Thanks!!! when you say notes up to date do you mean covering EVERYTHING?? to me that is so overwhelming!! I mean I suppose if I do what I'm planning to do and theb look over during half term, there would be some topics I obviously haven't made notes for but do you think it would be less then I'm imaging???
Reply 3
I also get really worried because my friend she does 5-8 hours straight most days and i know thats way too much for year 10 but that also stresses me out slightly idk???
Hello everyone I am currently in year 10. I started my gcses on the last term of year 9 so around June ish I started , and I believe I started my Sciences around March. I have ever since wanted to start 'revising'not hard-core revsion like 5,6,7 hours a day because I get stressed easily. It has been very stressful for me because because haven't nessically found what's best for me till now, when i recently got 82 percent on a chem test , so now I know what techniques work, I was just wondering, is this an okay thing to do: so whenever I get home from school, i will obviously do any homework, then maybe for about 1-2 hours I will puxk a subject (for example physics) and practice a topic within that subject I feel as if I need to recap, maybe from a week ago, a day ago, the same day, a month ago, just whatever my indistincts tell me? is this a good way to go? and also I feel like I'm gonna fail my gcaes considering I haven't recapped every since topic yet, and this is because, my friend, who is in top set, does like 8 hours of revision a day and as I compare my self it's really bringing me down and stressing me out. is it okay that I haven't nessically covered or recapped (basidallt made a revision tool) for ever single topic within my subjects? because I thought in year 8 I'd do it as I go along but that obviously hasn't happened. sorry I really needed to rant but I hope you guys understand? p.s I get rallt bad anxiety about GCSES.D

If it makes you feel any better, I am in year 11 and have not begun revising yet. My mock are at the begining of January and I'm not too stressed. My target grades are all 7's and 8's and I'm not naturally smart but I don't revise after school at the moment. I watch netflix and do any homework the nigh before. PLEASE enjoy year 10 and don't spend all your time studying as your mocks are very far away.
Thanks!!! when you say notes up to date do you mean covering EVERYTHING?? to me that is so overwhelming!! I mean I suppose if I do what I'm planning to do and theb look over during half term, there would be some topics I obviously haven't made notes for but do you think it would be less then I'm imaging???

I think I just forgot to mention that not all subjects really need revision material in my opinion. I never did any for maths, english language, and I probably didn't start the rest until much later than you!! What I did that helped is to literally list each chapter that you need notes for, figure out how long it takes to do one (each subject's chapters will take different amounts of time), and plan your time according to that. It may seem like a long list at first, but I found it quite satisfying to work through them, tick them off, and you get quicker at doing them as you go along I promise! Of course, different methods work for everyone, this is just how I've done it :smile:
Reply 6
Thank you so much this does help a lot truly , for maths I do practice, maths is one of my weakest lol but I understand and I get what you mean, so maybe every night I just do a couple of notes for subjects? one last question, when you mean notes could that be Cornell notes , mindmaps , flashcards ?
Thank you so much this does help a lot truly , for maths I do practice, maths is one of my weakest lol but I understand and I get what you mean, so maybe every night I just do a couple of notes for subjects? one last question, when you mean notes could that be Cornell notes , mindmaps , flashcards ?

No worries - i wish I had found this website in my GCSEs! I tried the Cornell method, but found it didn't really work and I was trying too hard to make my notes pretty instead of focusing on content, so instead what I do is effectively condense chapters into as few and as precise revision cards as I can (so not just one question per card, usually 2 cards, both sides for a chapter or something like that) for most subjects. Doing some mindmaps did help for a few subjects (like Religious Studies), and potentially some vague essay plans for subjects like Englishes and History if you do it, but that's something that most people start doing at A level although it can be really effective if it turns out you can predict the questions! Hope this helps :smile:
Reply 8

Okay, so I'm also in year 10 but I'm in top set like your friend. However I don't really think that 8 hours of revision a day is necessary because you can make 3 hours easily as productive as eight with the right method. A good tool for this would be the pomodoro technique which allows you to complete several hours with increased focus, I really like it. As for your current method, if you seem to be getting good results from it, I would recommend you keep using it. Another good idea would be active recall, where you create questions for each topic that you would then answer, this just helps you keep on top of subjects while still engaging your brain. Honestly, please don't stress, I stress alot of the time about revision because I'm always afraid that I'm going to fall behind but that never gives me any results. The best thing I can say that has helped me, is to understand that my brain works differently to everyone else's so it doesn't matter what they're doing as long as what I'm doing is working for me. I still stress but now it's manageable because I know that hard work pays off and if you keep working and trying your best without pushing yourself to the point of which you're going to fall apart, then as far as I'm concerned you're doing great. Keep up the good work, because you've got this. Complete confidence from a friendly stranger :wink:
Reply 9

my computig teacher did not teach me one thing so I was left all alone in year 11, what I did was I bought a computing revision note passport with all the info and learnt that- i learned everything from it and it was so helpful- I got an A* (grade 9) in that subject- does anyone want the link to it?

Quick Reply

Latest