The Student Room Group

Accounting or Maths A-Level?

Which one is harder? Is an accounting a-level only useful for someone going onto further university level accounting/economics? I am going to choose one just need to know which one might be more bearable/useful alongside bio and chem in order to go into medicine or keep my prospects wide.
Moved to A-Levels
Accounting is not relevant to economics in any way shape or form. A-level maths is a prerequisite for most economics degrees, on the other hand.

Since medical schools (except Cambridge) don't care what your third subject is, just pick whatever you think is most interesting that you think you could do well in; English lit, languages, sociology, geography, classical civ, whatever really.
Reply 3
First off, you should really consider what career path you want to follow, and choose a levels accordingly to how many doors they open and which ones might close doors.

Generally, based on your post, if it was a decision between accounting a level and maths a level, maths would be the better choice. Believe it or not, if you have an accounting a level and apply for an accounting degree at university, while it does seem like it will make your chances better, universities tend not to favour it that much, since they cover it during their course anyway. So if you want to do accounting for university, save it for university (but according to your post, you’re going into medicine so accounting a level is pretty useless either way lol)

You already have a medicine oriented selection of a levels, an most universities such as oxford and Cambridge require that you have chemistry, biology and another subject such as maths, further maths, etc, so you’re generally good to go. Maths might be the choice for you here

Best of luck! <3
Original post by Mephlick
Which one is harder? Is an accounting a-level only useful for someone going onto further university level accounting/economics? I am going to choose one just need to know which one might be more bearable/useful alongside bio and chem in order to go into medicine or keep my prospects wide.

Maths will be more useful and well respected.
Nobody cares whether you have an accounting A level or not for any degree (including accounting).

There are lots of degrees for which maths A level is a requirement.

If you really want to do accounting, pick accounting. If you're not sure which one to choose, pick maths.

Quick Reply

Latest