The Student Room Group

GCSE Exams May Half Term Holiday

Hi,
My family has booked to go away on holiday during the may half term of 2022 which is unfortunately when I have to sit my GCSE's. I am very worried about revision for my exams and have tried to explain the situation to them that it's a bad idea to go away however they don't really understand and say it will be good to have a break and have still booked to go away and I don't really know what to do. I find it hard to revise at the best of times so I don't know what I am going to do.
Any advice would be much appreciated.
i mean you only need grade 5 and 6 max for the hardest university courses as long as do well at a level assuming you'll do it, it doesn't matter
Original post by tomrawlinson01
Hi,
My family has booked to go away on holiday during the may half term of 2022 which is unfortunately when I have to sit my GCSE's. I am very worried about revision for my exams and have tried to explain the situation to them that it's a bad idea to go away however they don't really understand and say it will be good to have a break and have still booked to go away and I don't really know what to do. I find it hard to revise at the best of times so I don't know what I am going to do.
Any advice would be much appreciated.

I assume your parents are not really into education as it's a very odd thing to do - perhaps a day out or a trip to the cinema during half term to keep the balance but a holiday would normally be out of the question. Are your GCSEs both sides of the half term? Is it in the UK or abroad? Do you have a relative you could stay home with and have a break once the exams are over? Sorry your parents don't get it .
Original post by znne56yu7
i mean you only need grade 5 and 6 max for the hardest university courses as long as do well at a level assuming you'll do it, it doesn't matter

This is incorrect while some courses at some unis just require a basic 5 pass many top courses and others expect a 7 in maths and other subjects.

I am not sure if the poster is a 7-9 student or a 4-5 student either way a holiday for the half term is not really a great idea.
Original post by Fruity Girl
This is incorrect while some courses at some unis just require a basic 5 pass many top courses and others expect a 7 in maths and other subjects.

I am not sure if the poster is a 7-9 student or a 4-5 student either way a holiday for the half term is not really a great idea.

still its all down to what he wants to do later on
I'm not entirely sure what you can do in this situation. Perhaps you could have a word with your teachers, and ask them to contact your parents to explain why a holiday at that time is a bad idea.

I'm quite baffled by your parents' actions to be honest.
I assume your parents are not really into education as it's a very odd thing to do - perhaps a day out or a trip to the cinema during half term to keep the balance but a holiday would normally be out of the question. Are your GCSEs both sides of the half term? Is it in the UK or abroad? Do you have a relative you could stay home with and have a break once the exams are over? Sorry your parents don't get it .

Hi
I should probably point out that all of my extended family (grandparents, aunts, uncles, cousins, etc… are all going as well it’s like a really big family gathering thing) so no one to stay at home with and not very easy to change the dates to the summer unfortunately. I was also told my my friend that the exams finished before the may half term so didn’t realise it was right in the middle of them until a few days ago when I found out it went onto the other side of the half term as well. I’m still really torn on what to do, if I can do anything at all.
(edited 2 years ago)

Hi
I should probably point out that all of my extended family (grandparents, aunts, uncles, cousins, etc… are all going as well it’s like a really big family gathering thing) so no one to stay at home with and not very easy to change the dates to the summer unfortunately. I was also told my my friend that the exams finished before the may half term so didn’t realise it was right in the middle of them until a few days ago when I found out it went onto the other side of the half term as well. I’m still really torn on what to do, if I can do anything at all.
Original post by PinkMobilePhone
I'm not entirely sure what you can do in this situation. Perhaps you could have a word with your teachers, and ask them to contact your parents to explain why a holiday at that time is a bad idea.

I'm quite baffled by your parents' actions to be honest.

Hi
Hi

Does the holiday clash with any of your actual exam dates, or is it just in the half term?

I'd suggest just taking all your study materials with you then, and revising as thoroughly as possible whilst on holiday.
Is the holiday 7 days or less? Is it in the UK?
I'd suggest just taking all your study materials with you then, and revising as thoroughly as possible whilst on holiday.

OP will need to be very disciplined to revise on holiday, especially considering their entire extended family is going to be with them.
Does the holiday clash with any of your actual exam dates, or is it just in the half term?

No it doesn't clash with any of my exams it is only in the half term. Thank you so much for your advice that is what I will do it seems like the best option to me at the moment.
Is the holiday 7 days or less? Is it in the UK?

It's for a week it takes up the whole half term unfortunately and no it's in italy.
Original post by summerbirdreads
OP will need to be very disciplined to revise on holiday, especially considering their entire extended family is going to be with them.

I agree. I'm not sure there's an alternative though.
It's for a week it takes up the whole half term unfortunately and no it's in italy.

I really feel for you - If the whole thing is booked I can not see how you get out of it! I am sorry your family have not shown interest in understanding your educational demands. I assume you are their first to get to this stage at school. I am stunned your school haven't written to all parents or had an in person or online meeting discussing these issues for the GCSEs and things that are important not to do like go on holidays. What's done is done so I think you may have to accept that you are going.

Firstly don't panic - explain to a teacher you get on with at school that you have this issue and they may be able to suggest strategies for revision that will be portable for your holiday.

I would get yourself a wall poster timetable and start planning the time from January to the exams - you are going to be fine with the exams prior to half term and you need to see what comes immediately after half term. Plan out your revision so you are not trying to get everything crammed in at the last minute. Exams in normal years start in early May with the odd subject and then most are 10 days before the half term and 15 days afterwards. This year things maybe different.

You will need to have revision notes on cards etc that are easy to pack for the exams that feature in that 5 days after you return. During travel time you can revise and also you can revise first thing in the morning before the family are all up and about. Most kids would have the odd day or evening off during that week so you don't need to be working every day all day.

Do you have a plan for A levels or college?
(edited 2 years ago)
I really feel for you - If the whole thing is booked I can not see how you get out of it! I am sorry your family have not shown interest in understanding your educational demands. I assume you are their first to get to this stage at school. I am stunned your school haven't written to all parents or had an in person or online meeting discussing these issues for the GCSEs and things that are important not to do like go on holidays. What's done is done so I think you may have to accept that you are going.

Firstly don't panic - explain to a teacher you get on with at school that you have this issue and they may be able to suggest strategies for revision that will be portable for your holiday.

I would get yourself a wall poster timetable and start planning the time from January to the exams - you are going to be fine with the exams prior to half term and you need to see what comes immediately after half term. Plan out your revision so you are not trying to get everything crammed in at the last minute. Exams in normal years start in early May with the odd subject and then most are 10 days before the half term and 15 days afterwards. This year things maybe different.

You will need to have revision notes on cards etc that are easy to pack for the exams that feature in that 5 days after you return. During travel time you can revise and also you can revise first thing in the morning before the family are all up and about. Most kids would have the odd day or evening off during that week so you don't need to be working every day all day.

Do you have a plan for A levels or college?

Hi,
Thanks for your comment it's really helpful to me. I am indeed the eldest child and my parents have never had any experience of exams before since they took theirs years ago! They keep on telling me that if I don't know it by the exam season then I will never know it and it will be beneficial for me to have a break (maybe one afternoon out during the holidays would be beneficial but not the whole week)! Nothing really from the school so far, all they have said is they will continue to support us throughout the year but nothing on revision or what to and what not do to!! My school has always had issues with communication to be honest and I am usually the one telling my parents everything and not the school!

I think it is a very good idea to plan and start revision quite a bit earlier than people would normally start so I can get a bit of a head start with it to make up for time that will inevitably be lost when I'm away. I have planned out all my revision for my mocks this year and did the same thing with my year ten mocks so hopefully that won't be too much of a challenge. I have checked the exam board website and the majority of the time my first paper for every subject is before the half term and my second and third paper is afterwards so I will be able to plan it all out in that way.

My family all tend to get up very late when they are away (around 11) so if I continue to wake up at the same time as I do for school like I normally do that will be a good few hours of undisturbed revision in the morning and in the evening I should be able to fit in time as well. We are also staying in a villa and I will have my own room so I won't have to worry about being disturbed by my family too much as I can be by myself as and when I choose.

I must point out that one of my cousins is also in year 11 so will also be in the same predicament as me so I won't be all on my own, someone else will be in the same boat as me.

Thank you so so much for your message again I really appreciate it.
Tom
Hi,
Thanks for your comment it's really helpful to me. I am indeed the eldest child and my parents have never had any experience of exams before since they took theirs years ago! They keep on telling me that if I don't know it by the exam season then I will never know it and it will be beneficial for me to have a break (maybe one afternoon out during the holidays would be beneficial but not the whole week)! Nothing really from the school so far, all they have said is they will continue to support us throughout the year but nothing on revision or what to and what not do to!! My school has always had issues with communication to be honest and I am usually the one telling my parents everything and not the school!

I think it is a very good idea to plan and start revision quite a bit earlier than people would normally start so I can get a bit of a head start with it to make up for time that will inevitably be lost when I'm away. I have planned out all my revision for my mocks this year and did the same thing with my year ten mocks so hopefully that won't be too much of a challenge. I have checked the exam board website and the majority of the time my first paper for every subject is before the half term and my second and third paper is afterwards so I will be able to plan it all out in that way.

My family all tend to get up very late when they are away (around 11) so if I continue to wake up at the same time as I do for school like I normally do that will be a good few hours of undisturbed revision in the morning and in the evening I should be able to fit in time as well. We are also staying in a villa and I will have my own room so I won't have to worry about being disturbed by my family too much as I can be by myself as and when I choose.

I must point out that one of my cousins is also in year 11 so will also be in the same predicament as me so I won't be all on my own, someone else will be in the same boat as me.

Thank you so so much for your message again I really appreciate it.
Tom

Sounds like you are sensible with a plan. It will be nice to have your own space when you are away and the weather should be good and if you are lucky to have a pool that can be super relaxing. Look from it on the positive side - they are not springing this on you as a surprise four weeks before the holiday and you do have time to plan how to revise.

Pop back on here and tell us how you are getting on. Remember there are forums on here for help with different subjects on the lead up to the exams and even if the school aren't great and your parents just don't get it there will be people on here that do.

Really good luck
Sounds like you are sensible with a plan. It will be nice to have your own space when you are away and the weather should be good and if you are lucky to have a pool that can be super relaxing. Look from it on the positive side - they are not springing this on you as a surprise four weeks before the holiday and you do have time to plan how to revise.

Pop back on here and tell us how you are getting on. Remember there are forums on here for help with different subjects on the lead up to the exams and even if the school aren't great and your parents just don't get it there will be people on here that do.

Really good luck

Thank you so much. I will definitely post on how everything goes and it’s always better to look on the positives than the negatives.

Quick Reply

Latest