The Student Room Group

scottish government interview presentation help

I have an interview for an EO role in the new Social Security offices. I am pretty familiar and confident with the written exercise and the competency based questions.

However, I have to deliver a presentation on the following :

“How do you improve performance of those around you, dealing with constructive challenge whilst maintaining your own and others well-being?”

Covering these three competencies; Self Awareness, People Management & Improving Performance.

I've never had a presentation before for a civil service job and I have no idea how to structure it. Should I focus on one example that covers the whole question and use the STAR approach or should I break it down and use different examples for each competency. Or should it be a more general approach (not really sure what I mean by this)

If anyone has any experience of a presentation for a scottish gov job and has any advice let me know please. Thanks

Scroll to see replies

Hi, how did you get on? I have this exact interview coming up. Do you have any advice?
Reply 2
Original post by loveablees
Hi, how did you get on? I have this exact interview coming up. Do you have any advice?

Sorry I would love to help but it got delayed cause of covid so I haven't done it yet either!
Reply 3
Sorry this isn't helpful but I'm also replying in anyone has helpful advice 😂 I have a presentation for a CS interview coming up too, it's a totally different job but I'm in the same boat as just never having had to present at an interview and I don't have clue where to start with structuring it!
Reply 4
Original post by loveablees

I've had mine now if you want to ask any questions?
I hope it went well. What were the competency based questions they asked and how did they facilitate the online assessment?
Original post by stevent1995
Sorry I would love to help but it got delayed cause of covid so I haven't done it yet either!

How can they delay this? I'm not asking you btw but I'm sure it's an essential role as job duties could save someone's life such as welfare endangerment protection...particularly during covid. It's far more essential than bloody Amazon delivering pencil cases and McDonald's. Also, while Amazon stays open with their facilities at max with 100 people working in them at once, I'm sure social distancing is far better in a government role which is fairly office based, far less staff in one area at once, and an appointment or case based environment meaning few people inside.....so why can't your business run but Amazon's can? Bloody hell **** society. So glad I left Amazon. I don't wanna be apart of corruption.
Reply 7
Original post by Harris_19
I hope it went well. What were the competency based questions they asked and how did they facilitate the online assessment?

It was on some video chat thing called Cisco I think it was called.

Interview lasted around one hour starting with presentation & follow up Qs.

Then just 5 standard competency questions such as 'tell us about a time when you had to analyse evidence to reach a conclusion 'etc.
Reply 8
I also have this coming up , any advice would be appreciated thanks
Reply 9
Original post by Humes
I also have this coming up , any advice would be appreciated thanks

Yeah me too, in about 2 weeks time.
Has any one had their interviews recently? Starting to panic about the questions, was their any curve balls?
Original post by SSJ01
Yeah me too, in about 2 weeks time.

Hi.. Sorry I'm not able to PM... Thanks for ur response! Good luck for ur interview! I have the client advisor interview middle of June, but I have the case manager interview tomorrow 🙈😬
Reply 12
For a B1 role its likely first level team leader or a mobile client advisor.

Look at the competencies on work for Scotland website and google the skills for success framework.

Its likely they will ask you 4 areas from the skills for success.

When I interview for Scotgov I always have examples ready for all areas of the framework. Some interviewers will actually say this question is about financial awareness etc.

FYI I am a current Grade 7 in the Civil Service a Scotgov equivalent to a C1 so have done my fair share of interviews in different departments and have also interviewed my fair share of people.
Reply 13
Original post by Louisewalker805
Hi.. Sorry I'm not able to PM... Thanks for ur response! Good luck for ur interview! I have the client advisor interview middle of June, but I have the case manager interview tomorrow 🙈😬

Hi, how was your interview? Hope it went well. Could you please share with us how it was? I also have one coming so any advice will be good. Thanks and good luck.
Reply 14
Is the presentation compulsory in all interview ? Could someone confirm it as I am not sure I have got that in my invite. Just the 4 competencies. I am just panicking maybe I didn't read the presentation part. Could anyone who had their interview shed a light please? Thanks
Original post by Louisewalker805

Hi there - hope your interview went well. I have mine next week, do you have any helpful hints or tips?
I'm due to have an interview next week for a simiar role - any advice? I need to do a presentation too, not sure how to go about it. Not going to lie, I'm freaking out a little bit. Hope your interview went well!
Hey, I still have another one to go but the case manager interview went well, they really stuck to the format... Presentation, few questions if they have any and then the panel take turns in asking the competency questions. All in I think I was about 40 min. There wasn't any surprises just what u would expect... Tell me about a time that you.... Type questions based on the Competencies and then again they asked questions after. If anything I would say I was a little disappointed there was very little small talk I think it would have put me more at ease as that was first online interview I have ever done. Hope that helps! Good luck! X
Reply 18
Original post by Georgesomething
I'm due to have an interview next week for a simiar role - any advice? I need to do a presentation too, not sure how to go about it. Not going to lie, I'm freaking out a little bit. Hope your interview went well!

I had mine yesterday. No presentation as internal and then questions about the 4 competencies.Despite having 1 month to prepare, I was so nervous as I never had SG interview. Just prep well and you will be fine. Best of luck.
Thank you very much for the well wishes, I really appreciate it. I've only had one other interview before, and I didn't do very well so I'm even more nervous this time around. Not entirely sure what to expect, but I'll prep best I can.

I'll keep my fingers crossed for both of you too - hope the outcome is positive for you both! Thanks again :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending