The Student Room Group

After uni

Hi. I’m in my second year of uni studying accounting and finance. I didn’t do that well in my A Levels and when I think about it sometimes I get anxious about my future as I’m also not going to a great university. I did well in my GCSEs and I’m on track to get a 1st. Will the bad A Levels affect my chances of getting into the finance industry?
(edited 2 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
What were your A levels and grades at GCSE in English and maths?
Reply 2
Original post by ajj2000
What were your A levels and grades at GCSE in English and maths?

I got A in GCSE Maths and Bs in English. I did biology psychology and chemistry at A level and got CCD
Reply 3
Original post by Thatgirl_1
I got A in GCSE Maths and Bs in English. I did biology psychology and chemistry at A level and got CCD

Hey - thats good news! You'll pretty much always hit any GCSE requirement companies/ firms may have. Plus it sounds like you are doing great at university. Have you applied for year in industry/ summer schemes? What sort of jobs might you aspire to? What do you mean by 'finance industry'?
Reply 4
Original post by ajj2000
Hey - thats good news! You'll pretty much always hit any GCSE requirement companies/ firms may have. Plus it sounds like you are doing great at university. Have you applied for year in industry/ summer schemes? What sort of jobs might you aspire to? What do you mean by 'finance industry'?

Hey. I have started applying to year long industrial placements. The kind of jobs im trying to aspire for jobs like financial analyst or something to do with financial accounting. I want to also do the ACCA exams so will probably need to look into getting a training contract for when I finish university.
Reply 5
Hey. I have started applying to year long industrial placements. The kind of jobs im trying to aspire for jobs like financial analyst or something to do with financial accounting. I want to also do the ACCA exams so will probably need to look into getting a training contract for when I finish university.

Sounds great! You don't need a training contract as such for ACCA - certainly no in the same way as ACA. Grad schemes are still good though. Do you know how many ACCA exemptions you may have?

I think for the qualification and type of jobs you are aspiring to your A levels shouldn't present a particular barrier. It can be for chartered firms - but not all any more and it has been changing in recent years. I doubt your choice of university matters much at all based on peoples linkedin profiles I've seen over a long career in industry. This is also the case for chartered firms - their focus has often been A level grades and this gives the impression that the selection is by university.
Reply 6
Original post by ajj2000
Sounds great! You don't need a training contract as such for ACCA - certainly no in the same way as ACA. Grad schemes are still good though. Do you know how many ACCA exemptions you may have?

I think for the qualification and type of jobs you are aspiring to your A levels shouldn't present a particular barrier. It can be for chartered firms - but not all any more and it has been changing in recent years. I doubt your choice of university matters much at all based on peoples linkedin profiles I've seen over a long career in industry. This is also the case for chartered firms - their focus has often been A level grades and this gives the impression that the selection is by university.

Hi,
Sorry for the late response.

I'm aware it's not necessary to have a training contract for ACCA. Still, I feel it would be better to have one as I will be able to study the ACCA which the company can support me with and I can get the hands-on experience needed for the practical part of the ACCA. And when I say training contract I mean more of a graduate scheme kinda thing but instead of studying the ACA, I can study the ACCA instead. I used the ACCA exemption website and they said I could get 9 exemptions so that's pretty good. I'll only have to sit 4 exams.

I have managed to secure an industrial placement. Although I feel like I should have also applied for bigger firms such as the Big 4, but I completely ruled them out as I thought my A-levels would pose a big barrier but now that I look on the websites, it doesn't seem like it does.
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 7
Original post by ajj2000

Just to add, I’m currently working as a bookkeeper and project assistant so there’s quite a few transferable skills from there as well. Before this role, I had also been working as a volunteer intern. Since sixth form, I had also worked in retail but have just recently left that.
(edited 1 year ago)
Just to add, I’ve also been working as a bookkeeper and project assistant so there’s quite a few transferable skills from there as well.

You are building a really great CV - the year in industry job sounds like a great opportunity.
Reply 9
Original post by ajj2000
You are building a really great CV - the year in industry job sounds like a great opportunity.

Okay. I was just worried as it’s not a placement year not in the typical finance firms. Anyway, I’m happy I’ve got it. Im beginning to notice that employers are really looking for experience as well instead of just high grades. I hope the placement year can put me in good standing when I apply for grad roles.

So sorry for bombarding you with so many messages 😅 it just seems that you have a lot of knowledge in this area. So I was eager to get your feedback.
Original post by ajj2000

Hello again, I just had a quick question. Lately I’ve been think whether to do an A Level during my placement year but I’m not sure if that would just be a waste of time and money. What do you think would be best?
Thank you.
Hello again, I just had a quick question. Lately I’ve been think whether to do an A Level during my placement year but I’m not sure if that would just be a waste of time and money. What do you think would be best?
Thank you.

Just to check - which A level would you consider taking? What would your objectives be? To improve chances in big 4/ top 10 chartered firms for grad scheme intake? Or for a broader interest?

Will you live close to where your placement year is based (with parents?) or have to manage a commute?
Original post by ajj2000
Just to check - which A level would you consider taking? What would your objectives be? To improve chances in big 4/ top 10 chartered firms for grad scheme intake? Or for a broader interest?

Will you live close to where your placement year is based (with parents?) or have to manage a commute?

Hi, I was thinking of doing an accounting A level since I’m studying it at uni I think I would be able to get a pretty good grade. Yes the goal would be to improve my chances of getting into those firms.

I will have to commute. It’s like a 50min to 1 hour drive.
Hi, I was thinking of doing an accounting A level since I’m studying it at uni I think I would be able to get a pretty good grade. Yes the goal would be to improve my chances of getting into those firms.

I’m in my second year of university and I don’t want to be here anymore so you’re doing better than me buddy 👍

I think I wouldn't do that, and am confident that would have been the best advice 10 years or so ago when I researched consideration of sitting further A levels the in some detail. I've done some quick research and am not fully confident that things have not changed. Will look a bit further an write some notes.
Original post by ajj2000
I think I wouldn't do that, and am confident that would have been the best advice 10 years or so ago when I researched consideration of sitting further A levels the in some detail. I've done some quick research and am not fully confident that things have not changed. Will look a bit further an write some notes.

Great, thanks for your insight on this.
Original post by Thisismyunitsr
I’m in my second year of university and I don’t want to be here anymore so you’re doing better than me buddy 👍

To be honest I don’t blame you. University is quite draining. But my thought process is, I’m spending so much to be here I might as well make the most of it.
Great, thanks for your insight on this.

I'm learning a bit more.

Of interest - and because it may indirectly relate to the question - what non paid work experiences will you have for graduate applications which may be relevant to accounting jobs? I'm thinking leadership, societies and hobbies, perhaps activities which show coaching skills.

Also - do you know what scores you get on SHL type tests for numeracy and verbal reasoning and which population these were benchmarked against? I'd imagine you are very strong at these to have got the job you are starting shortly?
Original post by ajj2000
I'm learning a bit more.

Of interest - and because it may indirectly relate to the question - what non paid work experiences will you have for graduate applications which may be relevant to accounting jobs? I'm thinking leadership, societies and hobbies, perhaps activities which show coaching skills.

Also - do you know what scores you get on SHL type tests for numeracy and verbal reasoning and which population these were against? I'd imagine you are very strong at these to have got the job you are starting shortly?

I would say I haven’t really got much in terms of leadership or coaching at university although I was a prefect in sixth form. I’m not sure how relevant that is. I was thinking of becoming a course rep. I will also look at joining a society. My hobby is roller skating.

I think I score pretty well on these tests because I did quite a few when I was searching for a placement and I always passed these.
Original post by Thisismyunitsr
I was talking about not wanting to be on this planet anymore but not being at university would be a good start. You could always drop out I guess, I might do considering how horrific I feel.

Yeah definitely. If you feel like university is taking more out of you than it’s giving you. You should consider doing something else. Cause there’s so many other avenues. Not going to uni is not the end all be all. What do you enjoy doing?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending