The Student Room Group

Could I change to A level Chemistry now??

So I have been looking at biomedical science courses and most of them require chemistry and not maths

Could I still change to A level Chemistry as I am in Year 12 and started in September 2021

I would like to point out that I think that I would struggle with A level Chemistry tho
(edited 2 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

I'm in year 12 and I take chemistry as an a level as well as potentially being interested in biomedicine too.

In my school, we haven't covered any super hard topics yet, all the tests I've done are pretty doable. It depends how determined you are at doing biomedicine, there would be so much content to learn since September as well as finding time to revise for mocks (mine are at the end of Janurary 2022) as well as finding a good resource to teach you everything since I'm not sure if a teacher from your school would be dedicated enough to go through the whole course with you from September

Hope this helps :smile:
Chemistry is hard - not just the A level but any degree course requiring it as well.
If you struggled with the GCSE you might need to think again - especially trying to catch up on 3 months missed work.
Reply 3
Original post by canajones18
I'm in year 12 and I take chemistry as an a level as well as potentially being interested in biomedicine too.

In my school, we haven't covered any super hard topics yet, all the tests I've done are pretty doable. It depends how determined you are at doing biomedicine, there would be so much content to learn since September as well as finding time to revise for mocks (mine are at the end of Janurary 2022) as well as finding a good resource to teach you everything since I'm not sure if a teacher from your school would be dedicated enough to go through the whole course with you from September

Hope this helps :smile:

Thank you I am thinking of probably getting a tutor if I will go ahead with changing to chemistry as the only biomedical options available to me with my A-levels are at Oxford, Queen Mary and Imperial where only the Oxford course is accredited.
Chemistry is quite hard btw.
Reply 5
Original post by McGinger
Chemistry is hard - not just the A level but any degree course requiring it as well.
If you struggled with the GCSE you might need to think again - especially trying to catch up on 3 months missed work.

Thank you but I did not really struggle with GCSE Chemistry as I got an 8 in it, however, I thought that I could struggle with it at A-level especially with the catch up
Original post by Idk131
Thank you but I did not really struggle with GCSE Chemistry as I got an 8 in it, however, I thought that I could struggle with it at A-level especially with the catch up

Yes, you would struggle.
Chemistry at GCSE is very easy compared to A-level.
Reply 7
Original post by summerbirdreads
Chemistry is quite hard btw.

Yes I have been told that quite a lot but I am hard working, I'm just not sure If I am 'naturally' talented at Chemistry so I might need to work harder than others
Reply 8
Yes, you would struggle.
Chemistry at GCSE is very easy compared to A-level.

Do you think that having a tutor would help me with the catch up and the difficulty of it?
Original post by Idk131
Yes I have been told that quite a lot but I am hard working, I'm just not sure If I am 'naturally' talented at Chemistry so I might need to work harder than others

You don't really need to be "naturally talented".

Original post by Idk131
Do you think that having a tutor would help me with the catch up and the difficulty of it?

Having a tutor would help but if you are hard-working as you say, you can watch youtube videos and learn from other online resources.You probably only started year 12, so even freesciencelessons might've covered the topics you have to study.

But chemistry is nothing like GCSE btw, sure it builds on the concepts we were taught at GCSE but it's 90 times more complicated, even topic 1 I would say.

For example: in GCSE we learn about electronic configuration like 2 electrons in first shell, 8 in second and third etc.. but in A-levels it's completely different, sure there are shells but there are also different energy level with sub energy levels and orbitals and whatnot... it's like a slap in the face straight after GCSE tbh.
Reply 10
You don't really need to be "naturally talented".

Having a tutor would help but if you are hard-working as you say, you can watch youtube videos and learn from other online resources.You probably only started year 12, so even freesciencelessons might've covered the topics you have to study.

But chemistry is nothing like GCSE btw, sure it builds on the concepts we were taught at GCSE but it's 90 times more complicated, even topic 1 I would say.

For example: in GCSE we learn about electronic configuration like 2 electrons in first shell, 8 in second and third etc.. but in A-levels it's completely different, sure there are shells but there are also different energy level with sub energy levels and orbitals and whatnot... it's like a slap in the face straight after GCSE tbh.

Thank you I will make sure to ask my friends to look at their folder and exercise books before making an informed decision regarding my ability to do A level Chemistry
Original post by Idk131
Thank you I will make sure to ask my friends to look at their folder and exercise books before making an informed decision regarding my ability to do A level Chemistry

That sounds like a great idea :smile:.
Hi, I am in year 13 and I am doing chemistry A level. I think before you make this decision you should look in to a little bit of organic chemistry as that is the main difference between year 12 and GCSE chemistry.

I swapped from biology to further maths a level at the end of year 12 which is a lot later than you are planing to switch, lots people thought I couldn’t do it. Yes it was a lot of work and I spent almost the entire summer holiday catching up with it, but ultimately I would definitely do it again and I don’t regret anything.

I think you just need to decide which you would rather, not changing to chemistry and potentially regretting it or working hard to catch up with you peers.

Good luck with whatever you decide.
Reply 13
Original post by Mathsnerd1212
Hi, I am in year 13 and I am doing chemistry A level. I think before you make this decision you should look in to a little bit of organic chemistry as that is the main difference between year 12 and GCSE chemistry.

I swapped from biology to further maths a level at the end of year 12 which is a lot later than you are planing to switch, lots people thought I couldn’t do it. Yes it was a lot of work and I spent almost the entire summer holiday catching up with it, but ultimately I would definitely do it again and I don’t regret anything.

I think you just need to decide which you would rather, not changing to chemistry and potentially regretting it or working hard to catch up with you peers.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

Thank you for giving me hope for my potential switch, I take Biology, Psychology and Maths and a-level so far. However, I still need to consider whether I would switch from Maths to Chemistry or Psychology to Chemistry. Although I am thinking of the latter as I enjoy both subjects but am beginning to find Psychology a little boring and prefer Maths to it.
I am also in yr12 and I switched to Biology AND Chemistry about a month ago. After roughly a month of doing Chemistry, I have realised how big of a jump chem a level is from GCSE. It is not easy. But I am always trying my hardest to catch up on the missed work, as unfortunately missing a month of chem a level left me very behind, as you learn the basics of chem a level in the first couple of months. But I knew it was not going to be easy, so what I would advise on doing is to make a firm decision and be 100% sure that chem a level is what you want to do and put in a lot of effort and hard work. Even though I switched a month , I don't regret it
Original post by Idk131

You've missed nearly half of Year 12 content - will your school allow you to change?
Reply 16
Original post by oKayImight
I am also in yr12 and I switched to Biology AND Chemistry about a month ago. After roughly a month of doing Chemistry, I have realised how big of a jump chem a level is from GCSE. It is not easy. But I am always trying my hardest to catch up on the missed work, as unfortunately missing a month of chem a level left me very behind, as you learn the basics of chem a level in the first couple of months. But I knew it was not going to be easy, so what I would advise on doing is to make a firm decision and be 100% sure that chem a level is what you want to do and put in a lot of effort and hard work. Even though I switched a month , I don't regret it

Okay thank you I will have discussions to make sure I am 100%
Original post by Muttley79
You've missed nearly half of Year 12 content - will your school allow you to change?

No they haven't
Original post by oKayImight
No they haven't

?? What do you mean? Half the content is covered in term 1 ... imho, it's far too late.
Reply 19
Original post by Muttley79

It has been nearly 3 months but I will talk to my head of year to see if I would be allowed

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending