The Student Room Group

Can I take a national 5 course if it didn't take it in S3?

To summarise my problem, basically, I changed my mind on what I wanted to pursue in life. I wanted to become a geologist, so I took things like Geography. I also took things like Modern Studies and Home Economics, which I have come to regret. Now I'd like to become a pathologist, but I also have an interest in computers, so I want that as a backup. I'm not sure if I should do Nat 4 Business and Nat 4 Computing Science (the subjects I didn't take that I want to now) or go straight into Nat 5. Course choice is coming up soon and I don't have an appointment with a careers adviser (TBH I'm not sure how to even get one..). Anybody who was in this situation or has done Nat 4/5 Business and Computing, your advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
hi! my friend takes nat 5 business and it's basically just a lot of memorising terms, so if you're good at that you should be okay. i take nat 5 computing and find it really easy personally, if you are good with other logic based subjects (maths, physics etc.) then you should be okay. I'm in S4 at the moment and I took national 5 modern studies despite not taking it last year (I had chosen history) and, as long as you're willing to put the work in, you should be okay. Not every school will allow it though, mine was hesitant but my guidance teacher managed to get them to let me switch because she knows i'm relatively smart. good luck!
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by rose.clm
hi! my friend takes nat 5 business and it's basically just a lot of memorising terms, so if you're good at that you should be okay. i take nat 5 computing and find it really easy personally, if you are good with other logic based subjects (maths, physics etc.) then you should be okay. I'm in S4 at the moment and I took national 5 modern studies despite not taking it last year (I had chosen history) and, as long as you're willing to put the work in, you should be okay. Not every school will allow it though, mine was hesitant but my guidance teacher managed to get them to let me switch because she knows i'm relatively smart. good luck!

Thank you so much! This really helped as I'm kinda struggling with course choice lol. Again, tysm!
Original post by bunnyhoney
Thank you so much! This really helped as I'm kinda struggling with course choice lol. Again, tysm!

no problem! if you have any more questions let me know, i'm happy to help. also, if you do manage to switch to computing I have some websites I can recommend that are really good for revision.
Reply 4
Original post by rose.clm
no problem! if you have any more questions let me know, i'm happy to help. also, if you do manage to switch to computing I have some websites I can recommend that are really good for revision.

That would be great! I think if finally decided on taking computing, so I'd really appreciate it :-)
Original post by bunnyhoney
That would be great! I think if finally decided on taking computing, so I'd really appreciate it :-)

if you search for a website called 'achieve hashtag' it's really good for computing science revision, it's also useful for chemistry and a couple other nat 5 subjects if you take them :smile:
I am similar. I am in S3 doing nat 5 geography but want to switch to nat 5 History. My pastoral care teacher says I can do this and that I don't need to worry about catching up as its all new topics in S4. Is that right? My mum and dad are worried I'd be behind everyone who did History in S3.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending