The Student Room Group

GP receptionists are so obnoxious and absolutely rude

I just called for a repeat prescription and she wanted the name of the medication and I just told her just a second so I could check and then she said in a condescending tone ‘right can u call back when u know the name of the medication’
This isn’t the first time, they’ve literally been like this all the time whenever I’ve called. Before people say they might have a bad day, idc coz they’ve been like this before. I’m thinking about complaining to the GP about their rude staff as they need to get their attitudes sorted.

Scroll to see replies

*shrug* This is what medical receptionist are for, and yea it is a bit odd to call for a prescription and not know what it's for before you call.
Reply 2
Original post by StriderHort
*shrug* This is what medical receptionist are for, and yea it is a bit odd to call for a prescription and not know what it's for before you call.

Excuse you, but I just said just a second as I was checking the long scientific name. Couldn’t she wait 5 seconds before sounding so rude and obnoxious. Also I’ve already made my complaint and apparently it’s their third one today about the same thing.
Original post by Anonymous
Excuse you, but I just said just a second as I was checking the long scientific name. Couldn’t she wait 5 seconds before sounding so rude and obnoxious. Also I’ve already made my complaint and apparently it’s their third one today about the same thing.

Should have got it ready before you called. People literally spend hours on the phone trying to get through, 5 seconds is a very long time and if everyone spends 5 seconds looking things up because they weren't prepared when they called, that all adds up and means that people who are unwell and really need to get an appointment can't get through.
Did it really take just a second?
I see where you're coming from, but I find the receptionist relatable too. You have no idea how many ***** they have to deal with, who show up unprepared and who don't know their own **** from their elbow, what their GP's name is, what time their appointment is, sometimes even what day of the week it is. It is annoying and exhausting to deal with. It inevitably reaches a point where they want to 'teach people a lesson' by dishing out the kind of treatment that you received, because that is ultimately how people learn to value others' time.

I get edgy when someone starts a conversation with me and they're like "Uuuuggh I forgot what I'm doing here... [insert awkward pause]", when I have 10 other things to do & people to deal with. Come back when you've collected your thoughts. Respect others' time.

Imagine it another way... that it is rush hour and you are stuck behind someone on the London tube who can't plan 1 minute ahead in their life and get their Oyster Card ready whilst they're going up the escalator, and instead gets stuck at the turnstiles whilst fumbling for it in every pocket or in their handbag, and won't even get out of other peoples' way in the meantime. And all that whilst the crowd of people is piling up behind them and turning the whole scene into a moshpit. *** right?
(edited 2 years ago)
I just called for a repeat prescription and she wanted the name of the medication and I just told her just a second so I could check and then she said in a condescending tone ‘right can u call back when u know the name of the medication’
This isn’t the first time, they’ve literally been like this all the time whenever I’ve called. Before people say they might have a bad day, idc coz they’ve been like this before. I’m thinking about complaining to the GP about their rude staff as they need to get their attitudes sorted.

They could’ve handled it a bit better but if this is a repeat prescription, surely you know the name?
Brand name is usually fine if you don’t know the scientific, some say salbutamol, others say ventolin irs the same thing
Bear in mind other healthcare staff use the same phone line to get in contact with GPs so whatever few seconds/minutes you’re holding up the line, it’s not just patients asking for prescriptions or appointment but also doctors and other staff checking urgent referrals and so on
There is no separate direct phone line for hospital to GP practice staff
Reply 7
Most are like they have signs saying "Our staff have a right to work without harassment and insults from patients" what about patients who have to endure arrogant, rude, bad attitudes from receptionists? 🤔
Also I’ve already made my complaint and apparently it’s their third one today about the same thing.

I don't believe you - no-one at the surgery would tell you how many complaints had been made on a particular day on a particular issue.

You just sound entitled.
Reply 9
They could’ve handled it a bit better but if this is a repeat prescription, surely you know the name?
Brand name is usually fine if you don’t know the scientific, some say salbutamol, others say ventolin irs the same thing
Bear in mind other healthcare staff use the same phone line to get in contact with GPs so whatever few seconds/minutes you’re holding up the line, it’s not just patients asking for prescriptions or appointment but also doctors and other staff checking urgent referrals and so on
There is no separate direct phone line for hospital to GP practice staff

Yes it was the second time I was repeating it, the name was ketoconazole so I was figuring how to pronounce it.
Original post by Reality Check
I don't believe you - no-one at the surgery would tell you how many complaints had been made on a particular day on a particular issue.

You just sound entitled.

Says you.
But you’re right, they shouldn’t have said how many complaints they’ve had but my practice shares private information anyway when we’re in queues so I didn’t think much of it.
Reply 11

It doesn't sound like you made a call to a GP for a repeat prescription.... not one I relate to anyway.

When I call they don't ask which medication. Why would they .... it's all on the electronic screen in front of them.
Original post by meddad
It doesn't sound like you made a call to a GP for a repeat prescription.... not one I relate to anyway.

When I call they don't ask which medication. Why would they .... it's all on the electronic screen in front of them.

They do, the name of the medication has to be given how else. If your Dr's receptionists know what medication you require you either only have one medication or they read them out to you from list or theyre psychics
Would they know which is required
Reply 13
Original post by SMEGGGY
They do, the name of the medication has to be given how else. If your Dr's receptionists know what medication you require you either only have one medication or they read them out to you from list or theyre psychics
Would they know which is required

The clue's in the words "repeat prescription". It's not difficult.

I ask for my repeat prescription. They ask "all three?". I say "yes please"
Reply 14
Original post by TarantinoH
You're 'I' is making me question your credibility sorry idk why

Well, RC's 'I' is at least grammatical. Unlike that 'you're'.
Original post by meddad

Not sure but she did, my GP always asks for repeat prescriptions, even though my mum has an under active thyroid they still want you to say levothyroxine
Reply 16
Not sure but she did, my GP always asks for repeat prescriptions, even though my mum has an under active thyroid they still want you to say levothyroxine

Tbf my GP receptionist knows me quite well, and is extremely helpful.
Original post by meddad

There is another lady at my GP who although has a very loud voice and sounds intimidating, she is really nice. I wish I got her instead of the other woman
Original post by meddad

No need to defend GP receptionists. They are often rude and lack basic communication skills according to my experience.
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 19
Original post by Lucifer323
No need to defend GP receptionists. They are often rude and lack basic communication skills according to my experience.

I suggest you keep with your experience and I'll keep with mine then 😜

Quick Reply

Latest