The Student Room Group

Starting uni at 22 worries

So I'll be starting university next year September and I'll be 22 and I'm slightly concerned not so much about my course but about uni life in general. I'm getting accommodation and definitely going to be getting fully involved with societies and parties a lot but I'm worried will I be noticeably older than most others? Will it make a difference? I sort of feel like I missed out on potentially 4 years more of experiencing uni life if I had started at 18. Does anyone have any thoughts on this please?
(edited 2 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by EngStudent2022
So I'll be starting university next year September and I'll be 22 and I'm slightly concerned not so much about my course but about uni life in general. I'm getting accommodation and definitely going to be getting fully involved with societies and parties a lot but I'm worried will I be noticeably older than most others? Will it make a difference? I sort of feel like I missed out on potentially 4 years more of experiencing uni life if I had started at 18. Does anyone have any thoughts on this please?

Hi i get your concerns i really do I'm 23 in my first year. Yes you do feel old but tp be honest old doesn't mean you are singled out. I got drunk on a jight out was a bit embarrassed but you know thats life. Just enjoy it mate.
Original post by Kentinho99
Hi i get your concerns i really do I'm 23 in my first year. Yes you do feel old but tp be honest old doesn't mean you are singled out. I got drunk on a jight out was a bit embarrassed but you know thats life. Just enjoy it mate.

Thanks. As long as I don't stick out because of my age I'm good or some kind of expectations of higher maturity 😂

Hey, I started my first year September just gone and I'm 23. Honestly you will be fine, this was my worry but there will more than likely be somebody else who's older than you and you will get on with everybody. I have my own house so I commute everyday so I can't comment too much on the clubbing side of things but with you saying you'll be in accommodation, I'm sure you will experience it more so than myself. You've got this, good luck xxx
Thanks. As long as I don't stick out because of my age I'm good or some kind of expectations of higher maturity 😂

Well it all depends on whether ypu have lived on your own or not before. If you're confident and everything then you'll fit right in. Thry can be annoying 18/19 year olds if theu don't do the work but you'll be alright
Original post by aimeegibsonx
Hey, I started my first year September just gone and I'm 23. Honestly you will be fine, this was my worry but there will more than likely be somebody else who's older than you and you will get on with everybody. I have my own house so I commute everyday so I can't comment too much on the clubbing side of things but with you saying you'll be in accommodation, I'm sure you will experience it more so than myself. You've got this, good luck xxx

You have your own house??! Lucky you haha

Hi @EngStudent2022 :smile: University is definitely a daunting experience and you create all of these expectations before starting and it's only until you finally start that you realise you had nothing to worry about!! In my course alone we have about a 50/50 mix of students in their late teens and early twenties, through to students in their forties and fifties. Everyone has their own priorities and responsibilities, but at the end of the day, we're all there for the same reason and that shared interest means that everyone gets on really well and no one feels "out of place". You definitely haven't missed out on four years of university life - you'll get to experience it now! Everyone's path in life is different and it's just about respecting that!! :smile:
I hope this fills you with more confidence and good luck for university next year!!!
Best wishes,
Emma
3rd year diagnostic radiography student
Original post by University of Suffolk student
Hi @EngStudent2022 :smile: University is definitely a daunting experience and you create all of these expectations before starting and it's only until you finally start that you realise you had nothing to worry about!! In my course alone we have about a 50/50 mix of students in their late teens and early twenties, through to students in their forties and fifties. Everyone has their own priorities and responsibilities, but at the end of the day, we're all there for the same reason and that shared interest means that everyone gets on really well and no one feels "out of place". You definitely haven't missed out on four years of university life - you'll get to experience it now! Everyone's path in life is different and it's just about respecting that!! :smile:
I hope this fills you with more confidence and good luck for university next year!!!
Best wishes,
Emma

Thank you! I am a bit concerned that I won't be fully getting the uni experience not starting as a teenager. Perhaps starting later isn't as bad as I think though!
Original post by aimeegibsonx

Thanks a lot. Honestly I hope I'm not noticeably the oldest in my flat lol.
Original post by Kentinho99
Well it all depends on whether ypu have lived on your own or not before. If you're confident and everything then you'll fit right in. Thry can be annoying 18/19 year olds if theu don't do the work but you'll be alright

Never lived on my own but I'm pretty sure I can take care of things. I hope I get great flatmates! And I hope I'M a good one as well hahaha.
Never lived on my own but I'm pretty sure I can take care of things. I hope I get great flatmates! And I hope I'M a good one as well hahaha.

Ah you'll smash it mate. Goid luck
Anyone else?
Thank you! I am a bit concerned that I won't be fully getting the uni experience not starting as a teenager. Perhaps starting later isn't as bad as I think though!

Hi @EngStudent2022! Everyone's university experience is different depending on what they'd like to achieve, so you'll definitely be able to make your experience how you'd like it to be! The 4-year age difference between yourself and students who have come straight from college/ Sixth Form isn't as big as you think! You'll see that there are a lot of younger students who act very mature and a lot of mature students who act younger :smile:
You've got this!

Emma
Original post by University of Suffolk student
Hi @EngStudent2022! Everyone's university experience is different depending on what they'd like to achieve, so you'll definitely be able to make your experience how you'd like it to be! The 4-year age difference between yourself and students who have come straight from college/ Sixth Form isn't as big as you think! You'll see that there are a lot of younger students who act very mature and a lot of mature students who act younger :smile:
You've got this!

Emma

Thanks for the great advice!
My daughter started her degree after a year out and was worried about being a bit older, but once she started she actually found that not only were there loads of gap year students, in fact there were also a load of people doing a second degree or starting after deciding on a career change in their 30's and 40's!! So not only would you most probably not be the oldest on your course, you will find other "mature" students doing other courses and will have no problem finding people of your age. But having said that, you're only 22!! There is no reason why you should't get on with the younger students. If you don't make a thing about it I don't think they will.
Original post by Nobody2u
My daughter started her degree after a year out and was worried about being a bit older, but once she started she actually found that not only were there loads of gap year students, in fact there were also a load of people doing a second degree or starting after deciding on a career change in their 30's and 40's!! So not only would you most probably not be the oldest on your course, you will find other "mature" students doing other courses and will have no problem finding people of your age. But having said that, you're only 22!! There is no reason why you should't get on with the younger students. If you don't make a thing about it I don't think they will.

That's awesome, thanks. All of these positive comments make me think any age gap problems might be all in my head lol.

Hello,

Everyone else on this thread is absolutely correct in that it does not make much difference! You will find people who you have things in common with, age aside. There will be people your age and older than you but some Freshers can seem older than they are.

I have a friend who is 25 (we are in our third year) and she lives with people who came to university straight out of sixth form. She parties as much as the rest of us and really enjoys her time here! Whilst it is not the conventional idea, it is just another great opportunity to wider our circles and get to know knew people!

Lydia :smile:
That's awesome, thanks. All of these positive comments make me think any age gap problems might be all in my head lol.

Hi EngStudent2022

As others have said, don't worry. As an extra mature student, I can assure you that at 22, you will barely stand out. You may even find you are not even the oldest in your accommodation. Naturally, you will find some 18 y olds who seem very immature, but you will also find the opposite. I have shared housing with a wide range of students and most don't care. They may not all become your best friends, but some will.

Enjoy the experience!

Chris
University of Hull Student Ambassador
Original post by Lydia Taylor (YSJU Student Ambassador)
Hello,

Everyone else on this thread is absolutely correct in that it does not make much difference! You will find people who you have things in common with, age aside. There will be people your age and older than you but some Freshers can seem older than they are.

I have a friend who is 25 (we are in our third year) and she lives with people who came to university straight out of sixth form. She parties as much as the rest of us and really enjoys her time here! Whilst it is not the conventional idea, it is just another great opportunity to wider our circles and get to know knew people!

Lydia :smile:

Nice. Yeah I'm less worried about my course and more concerned if my age will affect the social and partying side as for better or worse I'm definitely going to be a big partier next year. Although your friend's experience seems to dispell most of my concerns. Thanks!
I started uni a bit older than 22 and I'm a good 7-8 years older than most of my colleagues. If I can do it, so can you! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending