The Student Room Group

whats good about a russell group univerisity

whats good about a russell group university?
will i not be offered good opportunities if i dont go to a russell group univeristy?
(edited 2 years ago)
Its a marketing concept thought up by the older Unis when the Polytechnics got Uni status in the 1980s/90s. Thats all.
It doesnt mean 'better' course, and it doesnt guarentee you either a fabulous career or a happy life.

What subject do you want to apply for?
Original post by McGinger
Its a marketing concept thought up by the older Unis when the Polytechnics got Uni status in the 1980s/90s. Thats all.
It doesnt mean 'better' course, and it doesnt guarentee you either a fabulous career or a happy life.

What subject do you want to apply for?

i dont understand the concept blahblah polytechs, i wont apply for a russell group dont worry, i dont have the brain. i want to do business
Original post by usernamechange11
whats good about a russell group university?
will i not be offered good opportunities if i dont go to a russell group univeristy?

Lots of the Russell Group unis are very well respected, highly academic institutions. There is a spread within the Russell Group, and also many good unis are not part of it (e.g. St Andrews). It also depends on the course you want to study, as some unis have strengths in particular areas.
i dont understand the concept blahblah polytechs, i wont apply for a russell group dont worry.

Then why are you asking?
Original post by booklover1313
Lots of the Russell Group unis are very well respected, highly academic institutions. There is a spread within the Russell Group, and also many good unis are not part of it (e.g. St Andrews). It also depends on the course you want to study, as some unis have strengths in particular areas.

oh thankyou so much, i actually understood reading this.
oh thankyou so much, i actually understood reading this.

No problem! So for example, the Russell Group includes Imperial, which is one of the top science unis in the world.
No problem! So for example, the Russell Group includes Imperial, which is one of the top science unis in the world.

i've heard of that university. isn't queen mary a russell group and it heard it's actually bad..

btw since your name is book lover, do you have any books you'd recommend?
i've heard of that university. isn't queen mary a russell group and it heard it's actually bad..

btw since your name is book lover, do you have any books you'd recommend?

As I said, there is a spread within the Russell Group, but I wouldn't say that Queen Mary is actually a bad uni. It isn't on the same level as Oxford or Cambridge, which are also part of the Russell Group.
And what genre of books are you interested in!!
At the very least it mean jack **** for an undergraduate student. Although, the youngsters bang on about it all the time.
As I said, there is a spread within the Russell Group, but I wouldn't say that Queen Mary is actually a bad uni. It isn't on the same level as Oxford or Cambridge, which are also part of the Russell Group.
And what genre of books are you interested in!!

oh, its a spread. they all arent grouped because they are on the same level. okok got you.

im currently reading legendary by stephanie garber but i realised i got the second book and i dont think my library has the first book and i dont really want to return it!?!?! what do i do?

im interested in fantasy romance and magical realism at the moment. hbu?
oh, its a spread. they all arent grouped because they are on the same level. okok got you.

im currently reading legendary by stephanie garber but i realised i got the second book and i dont think my library has the first book and i dont really want to return it!?!?! what do i do?

im interested in fantasy romance and magical realism at the moment. hbu?

I'll pm you with some book recommendations!

Ask the library if they can get hold of the first book for you - they can probably order it in
Original post by harrysbar
Ask the library if they can get hold of the first book for you - they can probably order it in

i’ve already placed an order for 2 already. i might get the first book as an e books? idk how tho bc i’ve never used an e book in my life nor do ik how to get it when i don’t have a kindle

i’ve already placed an order for 2 already. i might get the first book as an e books? idk how tho bc i’ve never used an e book in my life nor do ik how to get it when i don’t have a kindle

How did a thread about RG unis turn into one about YA books? :curious:
Original post by summerbirdreads
How did a thread about RG unis turn into one about YA books? :curious:

Readers of the world unite :h:
Readers of the world unite :h:

ahahah ❤️
Original post by random_matt
At the very least it mean jack **** for an undergraduate student. Although, the youngsters bang on about it all the time.

really??? so why wont people in my school stfu about it? why doesnt it mean a lot for an undergraduate? who are RG unis best for (not me) just wondering
really??? so why wont people in my school stfu about it? why doesnt it mean a lot for an undergraduate? who are RG unis best for (not me) just wondering

Outside of law and a couple others, it is irrelevant where you do your degree. I guess if you do research post-grad it may help you, that is about it.
At undergraduate level it means nothing if you do a research based postgraduate then it makes a little difference (it's something to do with research.) a vast maggoty of them are very good universitys but there are also a lot of good universitys that rant in the Russel Group like Reading or Bath also a lot of the smaller unis aren't in it.

Quick Reply

Latest