The Student Room Group

What’s the point of going to uni

Just to do a B.S job.

80% of people hate their jobs and the fact they’re stuck with it.

Be your own boss.

Invest in stocks 🤑
Reply 1
Original post by MikelArteta812
Just to do a B.S job.

Be your own boss.

Invest in stocks 🤑Ok

Well - yeah.... but if you read the literature.. one 'stock picker' journal lauds a bloke as "top stock picker of the quarter"!!! Ok, so you watch the stock picker press, and you never hear anythi9ng more about this guy. A year later (i did this), you do some research on the 'wonder child', and find that he was in the bottom third of stock pickers last quarter. What happened????

You do a bit more research on the guy, and you find that over 5 or 6 years, he floated about in the middle of stock pickers, with an occasional foray up near the top, and then, down near the bottom. On ONE occasion, he happened to pick 3 or 4 issues well - when nearly everyone else was picking bad ones. The rest of the time - he's barely average.

To an outsider - like us - it appears that everyone is making tons of dosh, but when you check into it, the 'promise' doesn't pay off. He ended up at the top - because SOMEONE has to be at the top - and his number just came up that time. I have a couple of brokers working for me - and they do "ok", but not "OK"!! They haven't lost a bundle for me, but neither have they made me super rich either. I am willing to be converted, if you have evidence that i am wrong. I "did" a bachelor's in electrical engineering, and ended up living in 14 countries on projects. I enjoyed myself + later went back and 'did' a masters in EE, because i got tired of 'lesser lights' screwing up projects i was working on, and then sticking me with the blame - when their decisions on the project turned out to be wrong. With a masters, i found that I was running the project. If things went off the rails, at least i was 'steering the ship' when they did. That never happened though. Cheers.
..Invest what? Your pocket money? Welfare benefits? Wait awkwardly for someone to die? :tongue:
(edited 2 years ago)
Just to do a B.S job.

Be your own boss.

Invest in stocks 🤑

Because it gives you academic knowledge, not getting a job in the field is not the end of the world
Just to do a B.S job.

Be your own boss.

Invest in stocks 🤑

Hate to break it you Mike but it simply doesn't work that way.
I really enjoy my job. It's a graduate profession.
Reply 6
Invest in a defence coach la, we walked through yous the other night
Original post by gjd800
Invest in a defence coach la, we walked through yous the other night

Your still not gonna win the league
Reply 8
Your still not gonna win the league

*you're
Reply 9
Original post by summerbirdreads
Hate to break it you Mike but it simply doesn't work that way.

Only if you fail to adequately research what you are getting into before you start uni. I investigated 6 fields before i started a Uni degree. I talked to 5 to 8 ppl who were credentialed in each field, Asked what they made, how they liked their jobs, what did their jobs entail, had they worked overseas, where did they see themselves in 5 yrs, 10 yrs, etc.. I considered medicine,law, engineering, and IT. I chose engineering in 1964. Since then i have worked with several hundred engineers & all of them at least said that they enjoyed their jobs - most said that they loved it - and would do it for free if they could afford to. During the course of my career, i have lived & worked in 14 overseas countries, as well as nearly every US state and most provinces in Canada. I also got two ski trips in Europe (whilst i was working there), three weeks duration each, paid for by my employer. I got to choose where to go, and how long to stay {altho over 3 weeks, i would have had to cover the cost myself}. I have also lived and worked in all US states, as well as most provinces in Canada and Alaska. While i was overseas & when i was on temporary assignment in the US/Canada, my living expenses were covered by my employer (full per-diem - i.e. food, lodging, and transportation).

I have worked with several "job-shoppers". One of these couples would look for jobs where the employer needed short-term emergency help to finish a project - for one to two years. They would both go to work for the firm, make more than the regular employees, because their jobs could be terminated at any time. Near the end of their assignment, they would look around for another pair of jobs in a different part of the country that they wanted to investigate. I met them near the end of their "active" careers. They said that they had decided where they wanted to retire, and had started proceedings to buy a home there. The house was currently rented, so until the lease was up, they were going to take another posting for a year or two. They said that they had made about 50% more than they would have at regular 'full time' jobs -so they could afford a quite nice house

The only thing i would have done differently in my career - would have been to spend more time overseas. I wanted to get my hands on a place to live - as i saw my salary going out in rent as fast as it was coming in - when i was first getting started. House prices were rising rapidly in 1971, and i had over $45,000 in my bank account - which was enough (at that time) to buy an adequate house, so i grabbed one. I perhaps could have rented it out and gone back overseas for 10 years or so.. but that's water under the bridge. Today, you'd have to be careful to avoid being caught in an islamic revolution at one place or another. The rules are a little different now - but it still works out that in order to make money on an overseas 'tour' - you have to go somewhere that they have to BRIBE people to go. You won't make any money at all in places liike Paris, Rome, London, Washington, D.C. Everyone wants to go there. It ends up costing you more than it would to live at home. You have to go to places like Beruit, abu dabhi, Kuwait, etc. Cheers.

- 3 weeks duration each - paid for by my employer.
Just to do a B.S job.

Be your own boss.

Invest in stocks 🤑

??? For certain jobs, a degree will put you at an advantage.
Original post by Aspstudent
??? For certain jobs, a degree will put you at an advantage.

I have found that if you want to manage [do technical direction on] a 'medium sized' project - say $3 million to $5 million - nobody will trust you to do so, if you don't have a master's degree. This is true, even when the ppl making the "hire/don't hire" decision DON'T have master's degrees themselves, or don't have one in a technical field relating to the project. {A master's in English Composition certainly does NOT qualify you to make judgements on a satellite communications program (at least in my mind)}. Cheers.
I love how you went from most ppl hate their job to invest stocks in just 4 messages

Quick Reply

Latest