The Student Room Group

i FAILED Maths ,Biology and Physics (year 10) AP1 MOCK exams.

I honeslty feel so ashamed for being the student who got the lowest grade in maths AND biology and physics . For biology i got a 4/30 (i know its terrible) and for maths i got a 5/80 ( YES OUT OF 80) higher paper. For physics i got a 9/30 and for chemitsry where i almost failed i got a 15/30... I feel like rubbish. Im currently a year 10 student and these are my AP1 MOCK EXAMS. I am set 2 for maths (begged my teacher to keep me in set 2) ans im set 1 for triple science (i also begged my science teachers to keep me in set 1). I seriously don't know how to react. My parents know and are both very angry at my results. I need tution but my parents aren't in a financial position where they can afford tuition any time soon (e.g. in like a month or two). I would really like some advice on how to study and revise for these subjects because i struggle to sit down and do nothing but productive studying a lot. I tend to get distracted and my thoughts seem to distract me aswell. I learn better when i get asked questions a lot in class and i get more engaged with the lesson. You see, my science teachers or maths teacher aren't like that. Just my english and chemisty teacher tend to ask me questions in class quite often. I would really appretiate suggestions on what to study and how to study on these four subjects (maths,chemistry,biology and physcics) by doing productive studying and revision where im constantley learning. I would also be glad to get some recommendations on tutors or tuition centres in london that could help me out with a price around 20-30 pounds an hour (or less, that would be great!). If anyone read all the way throught till the end then thank you so much, i hope you have a great day.
Original post by sonictheloser
I honeslty feel so ashamed for being the student who got the lowest grade in maths AND biology and physics . For biology i got a 4/30 (i know its terrible) and for maths i got a 5/80 ( YES OUT OF 80) higher paper. For physics i got a 9/30 and for chemitsry where i almost failed i got a 15/30... I feel like rubbish. Im currently a year 10 student and these are my AP1 MOCK EXAMS. I am set 2 for maths (begged my teacher to keep me in set 2) ans im set 1 for triple science (i also begged my science teachers to keep me in set 1). I seriously don't know how to react. My parents know and are both very angry at my results. I need tution but my parents aren't in a financial position where they can afford tuition any time soon (e.g. in like a month or two). I would really like some advice on how to study and revise for these subjects because i struggle to sit down and do nothing but productive studying a lot. I tend to get distracted and my thoughts seem to distract me aswell. I learn better when i get asked questions a lot in class and i get more engaged with the lesson. You see, my science teachers or maths teacher aren't like that. Just my english and chemisty teacher tend to ask me questions in class quite often. I would really appretiate suggestions on what to study and how to study on these four subjects (maths,chemistry,biology and physcics) by doing productive studying and revision where im constantley learning. I would also be glad to get some recommendations on tutors or tuition centres in london that could help me out with a price around 20-30 pounds an hour (or less, that would be great!). If anyone read all the way throught till the end then thank you so much, i hope you have a great day.

hi, you could try my tutor online, the one i used was 19£ i think, its all online but you get to speak to them face to face and they helped me understand difficult concepts! good luck :smile:
Original post by Drphil123786
hi, you could try my tutor online, the one i used was 19£ i think, its all online but you get to speak to them face to face and they helped me understand difficult concepts! good luck :smile:

Thank you! ill go check them out now.
Thank you! ill go check them out now.

No need for a tutor - ask your teachers for help.

You can use BBC bitsesize to get feedback and for Maths there are these: https://www.missbsresources.com/teaching-and-learning/mathspassports
Original post by Muttley79
No need for a tutor - ask your teachers for help.

You can use BBC bitsesize to get feedback and for Maths there are these: https://www.missbsresources.com/teaching-and-learning/mathspassports

Thank you very much.
Username checks out (sorry, couldn't resist as it said Sonic, gotta lose fast).
This is only Year 10, you can turn your grades the right way up. You should be revising for an hour minimum daily.

Revision methods are very important. Maths, Physics and Chemistry requires practice, so you should attempt, mark and try to understand your mistakes in as many past papers as possible. Biology - Use flash cards or read mind-maps, memory is a key point here.

Finding your best method of revision takes a bit of experimenting and time.

I was the worst in Science and Maths in my sets. Nothing has changed, still the worst in Year 13. Don't let being the worst put you down, if you're the worst in the room, you're in the right room, remember this.
Original post by ah6100tsr
Username checks out (sorry, couldn't resist as it said Sonic, gotta lose fast).
This is only Year 10, you can turn your grades the right way up. You should be revising for an hour minimum daily.

Revision methods are very important. Maths, Physics and Chemistry requires practice, so you should attempt, mark and try to understand your mistakes in as many past papers as possible. Biology - Use flash cards or read mind-maps, memory is a key point here.

Finding your best method of revision takes a bit of experimenting and time.

I was the worst in Science and Maths in my sets. Nothing has changed, still the worst in Year 13. Don't let being the worst put you down, if you're the worst in the room, you're in the right room, remember this.

Yes i should be trying out different methods of revision to see what method fits me best. Thank you for making me feel a bit better about how i can improve on my grades. Good luck with year 13! Must be hard.
Reply 8
Go on You tube as top teachers do free tutorials in your subject. Maths needs daily practice.

Have a look at active recall and spaced repetition. You have time to improve for the exams - if they happen next year, if not you need to show your teachers through your work your worth getting a high grade.

Good luck.
Original post by Purdy7
Go on You tube as top teachers do free tutorials in your subject. Maths needs daily practice.

Have a look at active recall and spaced repetition. You have time to improve for the exams - if they happen next year, if not you need to show your teachers through your work your worth getting a high grade.

Good luck.

Thank you! I'll try my best with the studying.
Thank you! I'll try my best with the studying.

Mr bruff is great for English - ask your teachers for recommendations because there's rubbish out there too!

Quick Reply

Latest