The Student Room Group

New job role

Hi I am in my first year of mental health nursing however I’ve just got a new job with the NHS bank as a nursing assistant and I’m really nervous and scared because I haven’t had much experience due to Covid on placements can anyone reassure me or give me advice on what the role will be like?
Hi

I have been accepted to study this degree in sep 2022-so would love to know this too!

How did you find the degree??
Reply 2
Original post by Whatsit
Hi I am in my first year of mental health nursing however I’ve just got a new job with the NHS bank as a nursing assistant and I’m really nervous and scared because I haven’t had much experience due to Covid on placements can anyone reassure me or give me advice on what the role will be like?

Well done on getting a bank job! This will be a great experience for you. What sort of place is it at? General hospital, inpatient MH, community services? I can reassure you that you'll be absolutely fine. In hospital settings, expect to help with personal care, toileting, feeding etc (maybe some post op care on surgical wards too). Concentrate on doing the basics, and just keep reminding people that you're new/have never worked on that ward before and you'll be fine. You'll work out what wards you prefer working on over time.
Original post by Whatsit

Hi

Well done for both getting a bank nurse role and also onto the mental health nursing course.

I would intend tom agree with what Emily said in post #3 on the things you'll be doing as bank nurse. I would intend to take notes of things you maybe be able to use as part of your mental health nursing course as you could possibly land up doing similar tasks.
Never ever be afraid to ask a experience nurse about things you aren't sure of as you will be new and strange in doing things at first till you eventually get hand of how to do things without asking anybody.

Emily is a registered adult nurse and I'm a registered midwife x
Having some nerves before starting a new role is pretty common, you won't be the first person who has felt like this. I get horrendous imposter syndrome when starting new posts, so I completely sympathise.

Look at it this way: they wouldn't have employed you if they thought you weren't able to do the job. As others have already mentioned in this thread, you'll be able to access support when you start. I found working as a bank HCA really helpful alongside my studies, it even helped me find my first post as a registered nurse.
Reply 5
Original post by Anayaanaya
Hi

I have been accepted to study this degree in sep 2022-so would love to know this too!

How did you find the degree??

Hi

Great that you want to do nursing it really does give you job satisfaction by see the results of helping people, I must say my experience was a bit crazy as I started during pandemic and it has been all online learning apart from attending placements. There is a lot of work so expect to have little free time it really is full time I do mine a single parent so may differ for you. Online learning is an advantage of being at home. Placements are really good you get to meet all walks of like and patients with unique situations. Just read as much as you can just little bits and pieces and learn how to Harvard reference lol! That is a pain the referencing! I’m actually doing year 1 as a repeat year as I failed on one assignment by 8% although I had passed exams and other writing they are sticklers for marking you need those marks. I haven’t really met other students due to Covid so it has felt an odd experience but just think of the end goal and really try your best when completing exams and assignments. Covid restrictions may loosen up in your experience hopefully x
Reply 6
Original post by Emily_B
Well done on getting a bank job! This will be a great experience for you. What sort of place is it at? General hospital, inpatient MH, community services? I can reassure you that you'll be absolutely fine. In hospital settings, expect to help with personal care, toileting, feeding etc (maybe some post op care on surgical wards too). Concentrate on doing the basics, and just keep reminding people that you're new/have never worked on that ward before and you'll be fine. You'll work out what wards you prefer working on over time.

I’m going to work on an elderly ward at a local hospital, I feel like I have forgotten everything because I haven’t done placement since April! I just feel so nervous that I’m going to do something wrong and not know my stuff but your comment helps x
Original post by Whatsit
Hi

Great that you want to do nursing it really does give you job satisfaction by see the results of helping people, I must say my experience was a bit crazy as I started during pandemic and it has been all online learning apart from attending placements. There is a lot of work so expect to have little free time it really is full time I do mine a single parent so may differ for you. Online learning is an advantage of being at home. Placements are really good you get to meet all walks of like and patients with unique situations. Just read as much as you can just little bits and pieces and learn how to Harvard reference lol! That is a pain the referencing! I’m actually doing year 1 as a repeat year as I failed on one assignment by 8% although I had passed exams and other writing they are sticklers for marking you need those marks. I haven’t really met other students due to Covid so it has felt an odd experience but just think of the end goal and really try your best when completing exams and assignments. Covid restrictions may loosen up in your experience hopefully x

Thank you for such a lovely reply!

Ohhh the referencing haha!! I do harvard as we had to do that on my access to nursing and midwifery course.

I also am a mum of 2 and a mature student-age 35.i do have a partner, although hes away alot with work! I am dreading balancing kids, their homework, home, cooking, studying and placements!

One of the degrees i have applied for is blended learning so all study from home but then placements will be the same.

What placements have you had in your first year? Many night shifts ect and based where?

Im excited but also so nervous! Appreciate your advice xx
Reply 8
Original post by Whatsit
I’m going to work on an elderly ward at a local hospital, I feel like I have forgotten everything because I haven’t done placement since April! I just feel so nervous that I’m going to do something wrong and not know my stuff but your comment helps x

It'll all come back, I promise. Give yourself time to settle in and you'll be fine. Elderly medicine is mostly feeding, washing, toileting, pressure area checks, keeping them calm... on repeat. All day. It'll be a great reminder of "the basics", and a great learning curve for things like tricks on how to get people to eat/drink (doing this with elderly people with dementia/delirium is great practice) and checking pressure areas/preventing pressure area breakdown.
Reply 9
Original post by Anayaanaya
Thank you for such a lovely reply!

Ohhh the referencing haha!! I do harvard as we had to do that on my access to nursing and midwifery course.

I also am a mum of 2 and a mature student-age 35.i do have a partner, although hes away alot with work! I am dreading balancing kids, their homework, home, cooking, studying and placements!

One of the degrees i have applied for is blended learning so all study from home but then placements will be the same.

What placements have you had in your first year? Many night shifts ect and based where?

Im excited but also so nervous! Appreciate your advice xx

I’m not going to lie it’s bloody hard work balancing home life and a nursing degree as there is so much to learn and to take as well as remembering everything. Once you find your way of coping/routine it will become easier it took me a while but I got there. I’ve done so much Harvard referencing from a previous degree and I still can’t do it perfect 😂 it’s probably what i struggle most with! I’ve had some really good placements based in Newcastle upon Tyne on mental health wards for over 18s and elderly (dementia) both good experiences as they were totally different age groups. And there’s always another student somewhere close by on the ward so which made the experience easier as they can pass knowledge on and show you around. Where abouts are you studying? Xx
Reply 10
Original post by Emily_B
It'll all come back, I promise. Give yourself time to settle in and you'll be fine. Elderly medicine is mostly feeding, washing, toileting, pressure area checks, keeping them calm... on repeat. All day. It'll be a great reminder of "the basics", and a great learning curve for things like tricks on how to get people to eat/drink (doing this with elderly people with dementia/delirium is great practice) and checking pressure areas/preventing pressure area breakdown.

Thanks for your reply, it’s the toileting I’m really worried about everyone I’ve spoken to has said all I will be doing is cleaning them up both previous placements I’ve had I never had to do that just good timing at the time lol! I know it’s going to be the inevitable but is it really as bad as it sounds when everyone I speak to says all I will be doing is cleaning up sh#t up…🙈
Original post by Whatsit
I’m not going to lie it’s bloody hard work balancing home life and a nursing degree as there is so much to learn and to take as well as remembering everything. Once you find your way of coping/routine it will become easier it took me a while but I got there. I’ve done so much Harvard referencing from a previous degree and I still can’t do it perfect 😂 it’s probably what i struggle most with! I’ve had some really good placements based in Newcastle upon Tyne on mental health wards for over 18s and elderly (dementia) both good experiences as they were totally different age groups. And there’s always another student somewhere close by on the ward so which made the experience easier as they can pass knowledge on and show you around. Where abouts are you studying? Xx

Oh gosh sounds interesting haha! Il be studying in either Huddersfield or Bradford!

Have you had any challenging behaviour within your placements yet? Once i qualify im hoping to work with people with dementia or anxiety depression-i currently work with people with dementia.

However, i am abit wary about dealing with aggression on placements! Is this common to come across?

You sound like your doing fab and balancing home and studies great! Go girl!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending