The Student Room Group

My Dad shouts at me for everything I do and is making me feel worthless

He says I’m useless, an idiot and an accident. All because he won’t move out of the house after my parents getting a divorce. He’s refusing to look for anywhere. He has all his work computers set up in MY ROOM!!! For the past 2 years I’ve been asking when I can have my room back and he never answers me. He eats in there and it’s honestly disgusting. I’m 17 and have never been able to use my desk because my dads always there. He says I’m useless because I haven’t learnt to drive (even though it’s impossible as my parents won’t give me any money and have spent 10k on a divorce) and also he is annoyed because I don’t have a job (even though I can’t find anything and would be too much with my A Levels) my dads controlling my life, shouting at me all day every day and making me feel worthless.
(edited 2 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Anonymous
He says I’m useless, an idiot and an accident. All because he won’t move out of the house after my parents getting a divorce. He’s refusing to look for anywhere. He has all his work computers set up in MY ROOM!!! For the past 2 years I’ve been asking when I can have my room back and he never answers me. He eats in there and it’s honestly disgusting. I’m 17 and have never been able to use my desk because my dads always there. He says I’m useless because I haven’t learnt to drive (even though it’s impossible as my parents won’t give me any money and have spent 10k on a divorce) and also he is annoyed because I don’t have a job (even though I can’t find anything and would be too much with my A Levels) my dads controlling my life, shouting at me all day every day and making me feel worthless.

That's pretty sh*t bro. Your dad is not a thoughtful person. Puts into perspective for me bc الحمد لله I got rlly good parents (not rubbing it in). What I would say is a part time job at college is fine. I did it and I'm doing it at uni which is more work. However, u don't need a license just bc ur dad said so. If u want it get it and if u can afford a car (in your situation I don't think so) then go for it. Car insurance is high. Learn how to drive if u want to but get ur own money if they aren't going to give it to u. Voice ur concerns to your mother and study more in the library. It's gonna be fine bro u got it good compared to poor ppl who don't even have a roof over their head or food. Just look at the positives. Ik it's sh*t but u gotta do what u gotta do in a sh*try situation. Gotta make the most of it. Good luck
(edited 2 years ago)
Mum has nothing to say about this?

In my experience i spent as much time out of the house as possible and put up with him and left for uni. It gets better. Trust me. Don’t give up.
Reply 3
Mum has nothing to say about this?

In my experience i spent as much time out of the house as possible and put up with him and left for uni. It gets better. Trust me. Don’t give up.

My mums at work or at her boyfriends house
Reply 4

Look I think u should start 2 stand up 4 urself, ur old enough, I'm also in 6thform and understand the stress ur going through. 1st tell him the lazy 1 here is him not u, like seriously y can't he set up he's own room, about the driving tell him what u just said about the money an all. But a part time job will do u well if u decide 2 go ahead with it, it might as well take ur mind off things, I mean no 1 can force u, I'm not working cause my parents r more than happy 2 provide 4 me, I would like an experience tho, so mayb when I start uni I'll do it. Just b patient and do ur thing, something will come 2 light. And everything u said here, say it 2 ur dad, tell him how frustrated u feel, u have the right 2 speak up and say how u feel. U can always ask me 4 more advice if u want :smile:
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by A.G.G.
Look I think u should start 2 stand up 4 urself, ur old enough, I'm also in 6thform and understand the stress ur going through. 1st tell him the lazy 1 here is him not u, like seriously y can't he set up he's own room, about the driving tell him what u just said about the money an all. But a part time job will do u well if u decide 2 go ahead with it, it might as well take ur mind off things, I mean no 1 can force u, I'm not working cause my parents r more than happy 2 provide 4 me, I would like an experience tho, so mayb when I start uni I'll do it. Just b patient and do ur thing, something will come 2 light. And everything u said here, say it 2 ur dad, tell him how frustrated u feel, u have the right 2 speak up and say how u feel. U can always ask me 4 more advice if u want :smile:

He doesn’t have a room bc of the divorce he sleeps on the sofa but that’s his fault for being too lazy to move out.
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 6
He doesn’t have a room bc of the divorce he sleeps on the sofa but that’s his fault for being too lazy to move out.

Pleaseeeee, go and say it 2 him, try put some sense in his brain.
Reply 7
Original post by A.G.G.
Look I think u should start 2 stand up 4 urself, ur old enough, I'm also in 6thform and understand the stress ur going through. 1st tell him the lazy 1 here is him not u, like seriously y can't he set up he's own room, about the driving tell him what u just said about the money an all. But a part time job will do u well if u decide 2 go ahead with it, it might as well take ur mind off things, I mean no 1 can force u, I'm not working cause my parents r more than happy 2 provide 4 me, I would like an experience tho, so mayb when I start uni I'll do it.Just b patient and do ur thing, something will come 2 light. And everything u said here, say it 2 ur dad, tell him how frustrated u feel, u have the right 2 speak up and say how u feel. U can always ask me 4 more advice if u want :smile:

Original post by A.G.G.
Pleaseeeee, go and say it 2 him, try put some sense in his brain.

I do and he just says I’m the problem
(edited 2 years ago)
He's having a detrimental impact on you and your confidence (and thus your ability to get a job) and taking over your workspace. You need to get your own space somehow. Can you spend jobseeking time at your local library? Are you getting financial support?

Can't you live with mum instead?
Reply 9
Tell ur father that he is the problem
Reply 10
yh hows ur relationship with ur mum, i hope shes happy 2 help

Speak to social services.
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 12
Speak to social services.

they dont always help, sometimes just makes it worse
He's having a detrimental impact on you and your confidence (and thus your ability to get a job) and taking over your workspace. You need to get your own space somehow. Can you spend jobseeking time at your local library? Are you getting financial support?

Can't you live with mum instead?

We all live together because my dad is supposed to be the one moving out. My mums buying him out but he’s taking forever. Don’t think he’s looked at any houses yet. I have no financial support and only have a few hundred pounds to my name.
Original post by A.G.G.
yh hows ur relationship with ur mum, i hope shes happy 2 help

Really good, I just wish she was at home more
Reply 15
Really good, I just wish she was at home more

talk 2 her, tell her how u feel
Original post by A.G.G.
talk 2 her, tell her how u feel

I do talk to her. My dad hates that I like my mums new partner
Reply 17
I do talk to her. My dad hates that I like my mums new partner

ur dad just needs 2 get outttttt, sorry, tell ur parents that if they dont sort it out, ur running away (dont acc do it), if nothing happens stay at ur friends house 4 a few days without them knowing, then theyll realize that u were not joking, then come back, hopefully all sorted
Original post by A.G.G.
ur dad just needs 2 get outttttt, sorry, tell ur parents that if they dont sort it out, ur running away (dont acc do it), if nothing happens stay at ur friends house 4 a few days without them knowing, then theyll realize that u were not joking, then come back, hopefully all sorted

It’s been 2 years and it’s getting ridiculous. Also my friendship group is falling apart
Maybe getting a job would be a good, it’d get you out of the house, you would be able to treat yourself with the wages. I think for now you need to spend as little time with him as possible.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending