The Student Room Group

Urgent: Uni withrdrawing cos of non attendance pls help!

Hi everyone,

I am extremely desperate and really need advice. Just moments ago I received an email from my uni saying that cos of no attendance they will be withdrawing my position and I have until next wednesday to contact them giving reasons why.

Late september I was mugged in my town centre and had my phone, bank cards and other valuables. I've reported everything stolen and don't have the money to replace everything. since the whole situation I've been really shook up and haven't left my house since. I've taken unpaid leave off my weekend job as I just dont feel comfortable leaving my house just yet. The whole situation happened in broad daylight 12pm and no one around me helped me or checked if I was okay. I have to walk past the place of the incident every day and I just dont feel safe or comfortable in doing so atm.

Also around the same time I found out that my best friend at university has been diagnosed with cancer in his final stages and is in hospital. I dont have any other friends at uni and get severe anxiety when i'm in public without knowing anyone. I tried to go to the first week of uni and felt incredibly out of place and had a panic attack outside the lecture hall and quickly made my way home.

I know I should have made this clear to my university before but I didn't know what to say or how to go about and prove it. What do I do? Do I need medical notes explaining my anxiety and unwillingness to leave my house? If anyone has been in a similar situation please could you give me some advice?

Thank you so much!
Reply 1
Hi,
firstly I'm so sorry this happened to you. It all sounds so awful and traumatic, and it is totally understandable that you are struggling.
What I would suggest:
1. Email them back as soon as you can with a very similar message to your post here. Just explain what has been going on, and why you have been struggling. Explain that you still want to continue your studies (if you do?) but will need some support. They shouldn't need doctors notes, but if they ask for them, they should give you time to see your GP, and it's quite easy to get backdated fit notes (note to say you are not fit for work/ or in this case uni).
2. Ask for some support. They will have safeguarding, student support, counsellors etc in place at the uni, and they are there to help in situations like this, where you are struggling.

I recently had some time off work for mental health issues, and I found asking for help, and seeing a counsellor the best thing I could have done. Everyone has been so understanding (anxiety is so common at the moment, and nobody will judge you for feeling unwell), and I am now returning to work with extra support in place. It's so much better to get it out in the open, with the uni, if you feel you can.

I hope this helps. Best of luck.
x
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by Susiehi
Hi,
firstly I'm so sorry this happened to you. It all sounds so awful and traumatic, and it is totally understandable that you are struggling.
What I would suggest:
1. Email them back as soon as you can with a very similar message to your post here. Just explain what has been going on, and why you have been struggling. Explain that you still want to continue your studies (if you do?) but will need some support. They shouldn't need doctors notes, but if they ask for them, they should give you time to see your GP, and it's quite easy to get backdated fit notes (note to say you are not fit for work/ or in this case uni).
2. Ask for some support. They will have safeguarding, student support, counsellors etc in place at the uni, and they are there to help in situations like this, where you are struggling.

I recently had some time off work for mental health issues, and I found asking for help, and seeing a counsellor the best thing I could have done. Everyone has been so understanding (anxiety is so common at the moment, and nobody will judge you for feeling unwell), and I am now returning to work with extra support in place. It's so much better to get it out in the open, with the uni, if you feel you can.

I hope this helps. Best of luck.
x

Also have a look here for some useful info: https://www.nhs.uk/mental-health/children-and-young-adults/help-for-teenagers-young-adults-and-students/student-mental-health-counselling/

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending