The Student Room Group

sixth form help!

hi, the sixth form i am applying to that I've always wanted to go to has a great maths department but a really bad physics department, but I am going to study maths, FM and physics? however the school I'm at rn which is at a similar level to the one I want to go to has an average physics dept but a partially bad maths, so not really sure which I should/could sacrifice? the maths here isn't terrible but some teachers are very hit and miss, but I know at the other school their maths is entirely good.

also, would moving sixth forms be much harder to settle in and would that then affect my ability to learning?? the schools are in the same area so it's just whether I would prefer to stay or if I'm willing to leave (depending on grades ofc)
Original post by kayeem
hi, the sixth form i am applying to that I've always wanted to go to has a great maths department but a really bad physics department, but I am going to study maths, FM and physics? however the school I'm at rn which is at a similar level to the one I want to go to has an average physics dept but a partially bad maths, so not really sure which I should/could sacrifice? the maths here isn't terrible but some teachers are very hit and miss, but I know at the other school their maths is entirely good.

also, would moving sixth forms be much harder to settle in and would that then affect my ability to learning?? the schools are in the same area so it's just whether I would prefer to stay or if I'm willing to leave (depending on grades ofc)

Having good maths teachers is always very helpful, and you use so much maths in a level physics so I would personally go with the sixth form with the better maths department. Plus you cover a range of mechanics topics in maths that you also have to do in physics, and I found that maths were always better at teaching mechanics from my experience. In terms of settling in, don't worry too much about it, you will make friends and it can be difficult but I think getting used to change is very helpful and its makes you a better person overall in terms of gaining confidence etc.
Reply 2
Original post by sandonmyhand
Having good maths teachers is always very helpful, and you use so much maths in a level physics so I would personally go with the sixth form with the better maths department. Plus you cover a range of mechanics topics in maths that you also have to do in physics, and I found that maths were always better at teaching mechanics from my experience. In terms of settling in, don't worry too much about it, you will make friends and it can be difficult but I think getting used to change is very helpful and its makes you a better person overall in terms of gaining confidence etc.

thanks for the quick response! i feel that physics would also be easier to learn myself instead of maths (esp considering I'm doing further too) so I guess I'll just apply anyway and decide if I get in :h:
only problem with settling in is the school has quite a reputation for being quite hit or miss, I know lots of externals loved it but it's also known for being very hostile and if u don't settle immediately then you wont at all? either way I'm sure I'll be fine
thank u for the advice, I'll defo keep in mind on results day
Original post by kayeem
thanks for the quick response! i feel that physics would also be easier to learn myself instead of maths (esp considering I'm doing further too) so I guess I'll just apply anyway and decide if I get in :h:
only problem with settling in is the school has quite a reputation for being quite hit or miss, I know lots of externals loved it but it's also known for being very hostile and if u don't settle immediately then you wont at all? either way I'm sure I'll be fine
thank u for the advice, I'll defo keep in mind on results day

No worries, talk this through with your friends and parents so you can explore what you really want more. I wish you the best of luck in the summer exams!
(edited 2 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending