The Student Room Group

Dropping an AS Level

I am currently studying A-Level Maths, Biology, Further Maths and Sociology. I’m thinking of either dropping FM or Sociology. Considering I’m not sure what I want to do yet in University, which would be the better option?
(edited 2 years ago)
Drop what's hard for you... but do you have any idea what you want to do at uni though?
For STEM subjects it's probably better to keep FM but for anything else sociology will be better ig.
Reply 3
Original post by summerbirdreads
Drop what's hard for you... but do you have any idea what you want to do at uni though?

I’m considering something to do with Biology or Psychology
Original post by d_a_d
I’m considering something to do with Biology or Psychology

Maybe drop FM then?
drop fm because technically its just like doing double maths if you took sociology out youd only be technically doing two subjects bio n maths
Original post by samcarolinx
drop fm because technically its just like doing double maths if you took sociology out youd only be technically doing two subjects bio n maths

FM is an individual subject lol.. My FM teacher would slap you for saying that.

BUT you can't take it as a stand-alone so surely its not an 'individual' subject
Original post by samcarolinx
BUT you can't take it as a stand-alone so surely its not an 'individual' subject

Of course you can't but that's because it's impossible to study FM without A-level maths.
Original post by d_a_d
I am currently studying A-Level Maths, Biology, Further Maths and Sociology. I’m thinking of either dropping FM or Sociology. Considering I’m not sure what I want to do yet in University, which would be the better option?

Definitely drop one of them, no benefit to studying 4 a levels if there’s even the slightest chance it’ll affect the grades of your other subjects. Drop whichever subject you enjoy the least and find the hardest. In year 13 everything gets much harder. (I study maths chemistry biology for comparison). I’d recommend dropping further maths because most courses requiring further maths also require physics which you don’t do.

Ofc further maths is a subject in itself-and a hard one! But actually some unis say they don’t accept maths and further maths as separate subjects, similar to biology and human biology.
For this reason I would drop further maths especially as you don’t know what you want to do yet. (Though if you’re thinking about economics keep FM)
(Edit by you I mean OP, not person quoted)
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by Rara345
Ofc further maths is a subject in itself-and a hard one! But actually some unis say they don’t accept maths and further maths as separate subjects, similar to biology and human biology.
For this reason I would drop further maths especially as you don’t know what you want to do yet. (Though if you’re thinking about economics keep FM)
(Edit by you I mean OP, not person quoted)

Well, unis like Oxford accepts FM as a third subject.
Well, unis like Oxford accepts FM as a third subject.

Hence why I said “some unis”
It’s not even essential to have further maths to study MATHS at Oxford, even tho they acknowledge it as a third subject.
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by Rara345
Hence why I said “some unis”
It’s not even essential to have further maths to study MATHS at Oxford, even tho they acknowledge it as a third subject.

I'm not talking about maths.. I'm talking about other courses. Human biology is not even offered as an A-level subject anymore (I think) but FM is different as it is more of an extension of maths, things don't necessarily overlap but I've heard human biology on the other hand overlaps with biology a lot. Plenty of unis accept FM as a third subject, maybe a select few doesn't but that doesn't mean it's not valid as a third subject as even Oxford accepts it as such for any course in my understanding
I'm not talking about maths.. I'm talking about other courses. Human biology is not even offered as an A-level subject anymore (I think) but FM is different as it is more of an extension of maths, things don't necessarily overlap but I've heard human biology on the other hand overlaps with biology a lot. Plenty of unis accept FM as a third subject, maybe a select few doesn't but that doesn't mean it's not valid as a third subject as even Oxford accepts it as such for any course in my understanding

I was just using maths as an example as it is very relevant to the alevel subject we’re talking about-further maths.
Human biology is offered as an alevel subject, but again that was just an example, let’s not derail OPs thread.
I’m not saying further maths isn’t valid, I’m simply telling OP some universities don’t differentiate it from maths as a separate 3rd subject for some courses, whereas I have not heard of a single uni where this applies to sociology and one of the other subjects they are taking.
I have no clue whether Oxford accepts it for any course.
Original post by Rara345
I was just using maths as an example as it is very relevant to the alevel subject we’re talking about-further maths.
Human biology is offered as an alevel subject, but again that was just an example, let’s not derail OPs thread.
I’m not saying further maths isn’t valid, I’m simply telling OP some universities don’t differentiate it from maths as a separate 3rd subject for some courses, whereas I have not heard of a single uni where this applies to sociology and one of the other subjects they are taking.
I have no clue whether Oxford accepts it for any course.

Well, Oxford accepts FM as 3rd subject.. even recommends it as 3rd subject.
Well, Oxford accepts FM as 3rd subject.. even recommends it as 3rd subject.

I don’t get why you’re so focused on Oxford. Also it depends very much on the course-why would Oxford recommend doing further maths alevel if OP want to do, let’s say, History at uni. Then having an essay subject like sociology would be more useful, rather then further maths.
Ultimately if you like them the same and are equally good at them, bc you don’t know what you want to do, OP, I would keep sociology as it means you can leave courses which don’t have specific alevels but require an essay subject open.
Keep sociology if you’re not sure as some unis don’t see fm as a third alevel. However if you want to go into engineering or economics it’s best to keep it. But say If you want to do psychology then keep sociology.

Quick Reply

Latest