The Student Room Group

Advice for applying to maths g100 with A*BB? uni mathematics 2022

Hi guys
My predicted grades are A*BB (maths, physics, further maths), and I'm struggling on which unis to apply to. The ones I'm considering are:

Edinburgh: A*AA - A*AB
Leeds: A*BB
Newcastle: A*BB
Glasgow: AAB-BBB
Sheffield: ABB

-Do I need more safety options because it's going to be competitive this year? Bear in mind I'm doing TMUA tomorrow so Sheffield might offer me lower (If I get an offer in the first place).
-Is there even any point to applying to Edinburgh with my grades?
-I have pretty good GCSE's (9999988887), but will that even help me?

I really want to go to Leeds so hopefully they offer me A*BB...

If you have/are going to apply to Maths for 2022 entry let me know which Uni's and what predicted grades you have!!
Depends on how confident you are you'll meet your predicted grades, really. How flexible are the universities you're applying to? Are they likely to take you if you slightly miss the offer or are they really strict? I'd say that ABB is more of a target choice than a safety, given your predicted grades, but it genuinely depends on what you feel is right.

I'm also applying for Mathematics (G101) at Edinburgh this year! :smile: A*AB is the minimum entry requirement so they may reject you unless you have an outstanding personal statement and TMUA results, so be careful with that one. It's always good to have one ambitious choice though!

I'm also applying for Maths! I've applied for Imperial, Cardiff, Edinburgh, Manchester and Aberystwyth.
I achieved A*A* last year and am predicted A*A* in my remaining subjects this year.

Good luck!
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by Indililam1
Depends on how confident you are you'll meet your predicted grades, really. How flexible are the universities you're applying to? Are they likely to take you if you slightly miss the offer or are they really strict? I'd say that ABB is more of a target choice than a safety, given your predicted grades, but it genuinely depends on what you feel is right.

I'm also applying for Mathematics (G101) at Edinburgh this year! :smile: A*AB is the minimum entry requirement so they may reject you unless you have an outstanding personal statement and TMUA results, so be careful with that one. It's always good to have one ambitious choice though!

I'm also applying for Maths! I've applied for Imperial, Cardiff, Edinburgh, Manchester and Aberystwyth.
I achieved A*A* last year and am predicted A*A* in my remaining subjects this year.

Good luck!

Well depending on how well I did in the tmua, sheffield will accept me with 1 grade below ABB, and I've been told that my personal statement is very strong so I reckon I'll keep Sheffield as my safety(ish)...
As for Edinburgh, I was hoping they might offer be A*AB (even when I don't have those grades right now) but maybe that was naïve? I have a feeling they will just ignore applications that don't meet those requirements. If my predicted grades don't change then I think I'll give up on that one.
Oh wow that's super impressive!! Well done :smile: I'm thinking of Cardiff if I don't apply to Edinburgh... And the Manchester course is lovely, I really wanted to go there! Good luck (though I'm sure you won't need it)!
Original post by sc0rrie
Hi guys
My predicted grades are A*BB (maths, physics, further maths), and I'm struggling on which unis to apply to. The ones I'm considering are:

Edinburgh: A*AA - A*AB
Leeds: A*BB
Newcastle: A*BB
Glasgow: AAB-BBB
Sheffield: ABB

-Do I need more safety options because it's going to be competitive this year? Bear in mind I'm doing TMUA tomorrow so Sheffield might offer me lower (If I get an offer in the first place).
-Is there even any point to applying to Edinburgh with my grades?
-I have pretty good GCSE's (9999988887), but will that even help me?

I really want to go to Leeds so hopefully they offer me A*BB...

If you have/are going to apply to Maths for 2022 entry let me know which Uni's and what predicted grades you have!!

Have you thought about Nottingham?
Original post by LibertyoLee99
Have you thought about Nottingham?

Yeah I thought about it but I didn't apply there, not really sure why... lol
Reply 5
Unfortunately, GCSEs won't help you that much. I don't personally believe that Edinburgh would make you an offer, however, if you're wanting to do maths, some universities will lower your grades slightly because you've done further maths.
Original post by JJPSWFC
Unfortunately, GCSEs won't help you that much. I don't personally believe that Edinburgh would make you an offer, however, if you're wanting to do maths, some universities will lower your grades slightly because you've done further maths.

Agree with the Edinburgh bit (particularly after the statement they released regarding having to make offers higher than the published ranges) but I've never seen any universities offer lower grades due to FM, and a B grade certainly won't lower any offers due to the competitiveness of the course.

OP, you've got some really good uni choices there (but, as I said before, I'd take Edinburgh off) and wherever you go I'm sure you'll do very well! Best of luck.
Original post by JJPSWFC

Luckily I got my predicted grades up to A*AB but I I know even now there's still no hope for Edinburgh lmao :,)
Original post by Indililam1
Agree with the Edinburgh bit (particularly after the statement they released regarding having to make offers higher than the published ranges) but I've never seen any universities offer lower grades due to FM, and a B grade certainly won't lower any offers due to the competitiveness of the course.

OP, you've got some really good uni choices there (but, as I said before, I'd take Edinburgh off) and wherever you go I'm sure you'll do very well! Best of luck.

I got predicted an A now in FM, so I ended up applying to Edinburgh but really just because I had nowhere else to fill up my 5 choices lol. I've had 2 offers so far (Cardiff ABB, and Newcastle A*BB), so I'm totally happy with that! Edinburgh is such a long shot but it doesnt really matter imo :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest