The Student Room Group

using freesciencelessons,cognito and cgp only for my notes

I'm trying to minimize my sources for notes and right now I'm using freesciencelessons,Cognito and my cgp revision guide.
I want to know whether those alone will satisfy my knowlege for gcse triple science aqa,
Thanks
Reply 1
for notes?? i wouldnt recommend cgp as it gives a quite brief overview and sometimes doesn't go into all the detail you need for your notes, but I guess they're alright for revision. since you're doing triple science i would recommend using your class notes since it's heavy content (if u were doing combined then maybe cgp would be ok) but i would say pmt is good instead :smile: they do detailed notes for every topic in the spec
Yeah those are fine... CGP covers everything you need to know from the spec, you don't need to go beyond that for GCSE.
Reply 3
Original post by summerbirdreads
Yeah those are fine... CGP covers everything you need to know from the spec, you don't need to go beyond that for GCSE.

That isnt quite right i suppose as when we were doing a practice exam,there was a question i got wrong,and i couldnt find the answer in the cgp revision guide,
the question was:
"Why do we start by using the lower objective lens?"
Reply 4
Yep, CGP is perfect. I got a grade 9 in bio, 8 in physics and 7 in Chem with it and later on 3 As with chemistry as one of them for alevels
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by Honey57
Yep, CGP is perfect. I got a grade 9 in bio, 8 in physics and 7 in Chem with it and later on 3 As with chemistry as one of them for alevels

What else did you use with it?
Reply 6
Original post by Laigne111
What else did you use with it?

That’s all. I used past papers too along side it.
Reply 7
Original post by Honey57
That’s all. I used past papers too along side it.

you didnt use class notes?, cos i dont have access to class notes hence why i need extra sources
Reply 8
you didnt use class notes?, cos i dont have access to class notes hence why i need extra sources

Nope. Class notes are honestly crap. I don’t know why I wasted 5 years of writing notes when there was a great revision guide like the cgps
Original post by Honey57
Nope. Class notes are honestly crap. I don’t know why I wasted 5 years of writing notes when there was a great revision guide like the cgps

I have piles of GCSE notes with me... they were never useful.
Reply 10
Original post by Honey57

Thank you!
That isnt quite right i suppose as when we were doing a practice exam,there was a question i got wrong,and i couldnt find the answer in the cgp revision guide,
the question was:
"Why do we start by using the lower objective lens?"

This is what you call an “application” question. The information doesn’t necessarily need to be explicit in order for you to answer it correctly - that’s why understanding is important and having the ability to think about what you learn meaningfully. To put it bluntly: it’s there to catch out those that just memorise text book information.
Reply 12
Original post by CaptainDuckie
This is what you call an “application” question. The information doesn’t necessarily need to be explicit in order for you to answer it correctly - that’s why understanding is important and having the ability to think about what you learn meaningfully. To put it bluntly: it’s there to catch out those that just memorise text book information.

i understand but there is no information in the cgp guide that supports th answer
i understand but there is no information in the cgp guide that supports th answer

There doesn’t need to be.
Reply 14
There doesn’t need to be.

Where would i get the info then?

You have to think. Because it’s an application question.
Reply 16
Original post by Honey57
You have to think. Because it’s an application question.

So how would i know for sure if its not in the book?,I "thought" in the test and didnt get it right so how would i revise so i get these typeso f questions right?
(edited 2 years ago)

The text book provides you with information that is mandatory to know, which I agree on you with this one. However, to be able to answer the application questions, which is a question that has an answer that either isn’t so obvious or not in the text book; you need to think critically about how you can connect the dots with pre-existing information you know, specifically how you can apply it to whatever question it asks. This is where the grade 9 students linger around, they are prepared for these thinking questions and honestly the only way to get better is to put yourself into this situation voluntarily (as in practice application questions in your own time) so you aren’t caught of guard.

If you get it wrong then you simply don’t understand the topic in depth enough to be able to answer anything (that’s within the ranged skill level) on the specification. Go back to the drawing boards and fill in gaps in your understanding so you can get the marks for next time.
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 18
The text book provides you with information that is mandatory to know, which I agree on you with this one. However, to be able to answer the application questions, which is a question that has an answer that either isn’t so obvious or not in the text book; you need to think critically about how you can connect the dots with pre-existing information you know, specifically how you can apply it to whatever question it asks. This is where the grade 9 students linger around, they are prepared for these thinking questions and honestly the only way to get better is to put yourself into this situation voluntarily (as in practice application questions in your own time) so you aren’t caught of guard.

If you get it wrong then you simply don’t understand the topic in depth enough to be able to answer anything (that’s within the ranged skill level) on the specification. Go back to the drawing boards and fill in gaps in your understanding so you can get the marks for next time.

Thank you !

Quick Reply

Latest