The Student Room Group

Tory MP Links Young Men Turning To Crime With Female Leads In TV / Film

"In recent years we have seen Doctor Who, Ghostbusters, Luke Skywalker, the Equaliser, all replaced by women. And men are left with the Krays and Tommy Shelby. Is it any wonder we are seeing so many young men committing crimes?” - Nick Fletcher, Conservative MP for Don Valley.

The MP later claimed in a Twitter post that they did not associate Dr Who being female with crimes committed by men.

---

Thoughts on this?

I'm all for young men having role models, but to act like TV and films lack positive male role models is straight up wrong. It should also go without saying that the reasons people turn to crime are more complicated than just what they see in TV and films.

I'm all for talking about issues that affect men, promoting self esteem and good mental health among men, etc, but uh... this ain't it.

Scroll to see replies

People have always commit crime this generation is called the sensible generation. This generation is statically less likely than any other generation to have sex become teenage parents, drinking alcohol to excuse, be arrested, take drugs smoke etc.

This generation is more likely to study at school go to university apprenticeships etc. The reason night clubs bars were closing down even before covid was because people under 25 not going to them.

So were are those criminal young men this MP believe exist the statics do not back up his claim.
(edited 2 years ago)
No that's dumb.

What he really should be saying is that it is an attack on white masculinity, which it is absolutely.
Oh no.
Sounds like someone else has jumped upon the idiotic blame game wagon in relation to the fact that most uk arrests and incarcerated felons are males under 45.

If my memory serves me accurately so far attempts over the last 30 years have included apportioning the blame to: video games, single mothers, television shows, misandry, premier league football players, music, grammar schools, feminism, the bbc, alcohol, female teachers, controversial politicians and then "toxic masculinity". :blah:
Reply 4
Original post by Starship Trooper
white masculinity

:laugh:
Reply 5
Whilst some of his comments hace been taken slightly out of context he really did make a complete ass out of himself here 😂 pity as he does, in a manner of speaking, raise a good point vis a vis male role models in general… completely undermined by his rambling sexist claptrap but nevertheless
Reply 6
Original post by londonmyst
Oh no.
Sounds like someone else has jumped upon the idiotic blame game wagon in relation to the fact that most uk arrests and incarcerated felons are males under 45.

If my memory serves me accurately so far attempts over the last 30 years have included apportioning the blame to: video games, single mothers, television shows, misandry, premier league football players, music, grammar schools, feminism, the bbc, alcohol, female teachers, controversial politicians and then "toxic masculinity". :blah:

The list goes ever on and on which is strange given the reasons, if innately complex, are actually rather simple:
Men + testosterone = risk taking and aggression (for some anyway and compared to women)
Lower socio economics speak for themselves in their outcomes and with their trickle down effects to crime drug use and mental issues
Etc
Original post by londonmyst
Oh no.

These are all to blame as well as drugs and gang culture.
No that's dumb.

What he really should be saying is that it is an attack on white masculinity, which it is absolutely.

I've got a traditional view of masculinity, so tend to associate it with strength and emotional resilience.

Any man who is sensitive enough to regard a fictional alien being portrayed by a woman as an attack on masculinity is, by the definition of traditional masculinity, not very masculine.
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by Crazed cat lady
I've got a traditional view of masculinity, so tend to associate it with strength and emotional resilience.

Any man who is sensitive enough to regard a fictional alien being portrayed by a woman as an attack on masculinity is, by the definition of traditional masculinity, not very masculine.

Ah I'm so glad a woman has come to weigh in on what masculinity is lmao :rolleyes:

I've never liked Dr Who so can't really bring myself to care for this particular example overmuch. But it is what it is:

Left wing liberals can't create their own interesting characters (see captain marvel or that star wars girl) so they have to co-opt and ruin existing characters. And of course the ratings have subsequently tanked, not because people "hate women" but because not only is it unwatchable garbage, but it's also an attack on them by people who hate them.
I would definitely say that strength and emotional resilience are part of being masculine (as well as obviously being a man, which I think she'd disagree with).

But I'm sure she views that in a pro feminist, liberal way that I'm sure you would vehemently disagree with. EG by "strong" what she really means is cater to women's whims.
Original post by Crazed cat lady

100%, PRSOM.

I'd hate for my sense of identity to be based on something so flimsy and weak as the gender of a TV / film character.
It's sort of just how the industry works. There is more risk involved with releasing material that is totally new, so people will stick closer to rehashing the same story over and over (e.g. we've had at least three separate Spider Man series since 2000). Portraying originally male characters as female is just part of that, I think.
Original post by SHallowvale
I'd hate for my sense of identity to be based on something so flimsy and weak as the gender of a TV / film character.

So you don't think female/ LGBT/ BAME representation in media is important?
So you don't think female/ LGBT/ BAME representation in media is important?

Sure, I think it's important... but would I think it's an 'attack on white women' if an originally white female character is played by a white male? No. Would I think it's an 'attack on black people' if an originally black character is played by a non-black person? No.

Etc etc.
(edited 2 years ago)
Sure, I think it's important... but would I think it's an 'attack on white women' if an originally white female character is played by a white male? No. Would I think it's an 'attack on black people' if an originally black character is played by a non-black person? No.

Etc etc.

Generally speaking I would say it would be actually, and would definitely be interpreted that way by those groups.

Lmao imagine the outrage if they made the next Black Panther a white guy :tongue: oh my!
Generally speaking I would say it would be actually, and would definitely be interpreted that way by those groups.

Lmao imagine the outrage if they made the next Black Panther a white guy :tongue: oh my!

Then their sense of identity would be just as weak as yours is, lol? These are fictional, originally cartoon, characters.
I would definitely say that strength and emotional resilience are part of being masculine (as well as obviously being a man, which I think she'd disagree with).

But I'm sure she views that in a pro feminist, liberal way that I'm sure you would vehemently disagree with. EG by "strong" what she really means is cater to women's whims.

That plus defining noticing and challenging anything the cultural marxoids doing as "not very masculine". Best to just ignore such bad faith jeering and keep pushing back against this stuff.
Then their sense of identity would be just as weak as yours is, lol? These are fictional, originally cartoon, characters.

Where have I said it's my sense of identity?

(Lol if you're saying that black people are fragile though, lmao)
Where have I said it's my sense of identity?

(Lol if you're saying that black people are fragile though, lmao)

Seems to have been implied by your first post. You do believe that these things are an attack on white masculinity, right?

Not what I am saying. I'm sure there are millions of black people out there who don't base their identity on the race of TV / film characters.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending