The Student Room Group

How much do you spend at Uni per term approximately

I just want to get an estimate to see how I'm doing so far in terms of budgeting :smile:
I'm guessing this is excluding rent but i'm spending around 300 a month, not sure what that works out to termly. Bearing in mind this includes freshers for the first 2 weeks where more was spent going out than usual. I'm also curious to see what people are spending to check im not overspending
Reply 2
Original post by Anonymous
I'm guessing this is excluding rent but i'm spending around 300 a month, not sure what that works out to termly. Bearing in mind this includes freshers for the first 2 weeks where more was spent going out than usual. I'm also curious to see what people are spending to check im not overspending

Yes, similar to me then, for me excluding rent it has been 400 a month approximately. But yes this is including freshers and a lot of one off payments like societies, pc games, laptop essentials and some clothes, which I won't be spending on again for the rest of the year. Excluding these I'm at about 200 a month, but we'll see for next term if this is actually the case haha xD
Original post by Vicky55
Yes, similar to me then, for me excluding rent it has been 400 a month approximately. But yes this is including freshers and a lot of one off payments like societies, pc games, laptop essentials and some clothes, which I won't be spending on again for the rest of the year. Excluding these I'm at about 200 a month, but we'll see for next term if this is actually the case haha xD

£400 a month? I've been spending around £100-£130 a month. But recently I spent about £100 on stuff online and I feel HORRIBLE and I spent even more money than usual on foodddd. I need to stop but I'm struggling to lol.
Reply 4
£400 a month? I've been spending around £100-£130 a month. But recently I spent about £100 on stuff online and I feel HORRIBLE and I spent even more money than usual on foodddd. I need to stop but I'm struggling to lol.

That's really good! But yeah like I said it's a lot of one-off stuff. Plus I live near London and I travel a lot home.

how are you spending only 100 a month haha that's insane, maybe it depends which city you're in?
Reply 6
how are you spending only 100 a month haha that's insane, maybe it depends which city you're in?

FR hahah, that's about my food costs lmao
Honestly, probably £60 a month. I live a home, so I don’t pay money for rent or food and all I spend is money on bus fare to and from the university!
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by Vicky55
I just want to get an estimate to see how I'm doing so far in terms of budgeting :smile:

Hi there,

I hope you're well :smile:

It definitely depends on the city you're in - as some cities are more expensive than others. As well as rent, you have to factor other things like nights out, food, transport, [takeaways!], etc. However, what everyone has suggested seems roughly right. My tip to you would be if you want to start saving as of now, definitely do so! Money flies away at Uni and before you know it, you've got a lot less money in your bank than you thought :biggrin:

Hope that's helpful.

Ana :h:
University of Liverpool Rep.

I go to Keele university which is the west midlands. I only spent money on food, laundry and occasional printing (which costs like 4p per paper). But recently I figured out how to order stuff online so I've been spending more money lol.

Original post by Vicky55
That's really good! But yeah like I said it's a lot of one-off stuff. Plus I live near London and I travel a lot home.

yeah living in London/near London as well as transport costs uses a lot of money. But I live on campus and a bit further up north so things are a lil cheaper here.
Original post by Vicky55

Max 80/90 a week. I pay a portion of my rent and my parents pay the rest of my rent. Some weeks ive only spend £20

That £80 is food, alcohol, car costs, anything extra I need (uni supplies etc). I did have to go into my savings but that was because I hadn't budgeted for emergencies/unforeseen costs. I got in a car crash so spent more money than I had planned on transport costs and comfort food.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending