The Student Room Group

Can I appeal a university rejection?

Ive got 5/5 offers back now but have been rejected from the uni i really wanted to goto for my predicted not matching entry requirements but the other unis i applied for they didnt either but i got into all 4. Anyway to contest this?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by ughpopcorn11
Ive got 5/5 offers back now but have been rejected from the uni i really wanted to goto for my predicted not matching entry requirements but the other unis i applied for they didnt either but i got into all 4. Anyway to contest this?

im not sure but heres a thread from the same question a couple years ago: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=5151486

You can however applying for 5 unis above your predicted is not wise. I’d suggest applying for one uni that you could put down as an insurance option.

It’s a different university, different admissions methodology.

The fact different universities made you an offer is not valid grounds for appeal. These are professional academics & admissions staff, please don’t waste their time on a frivolous appeal.
It's not going to do anything and will make you look unprofessional, you could ask for feedback but I've only heard of this for Oxbridge and medicine. You're better off using that energy to revise instead.
On what grounds? You can hardly say they treated you unfairly if your predicted grades are below their requirements, but even if they weren't, you're not entitled to get an offer from them and chances are that lots of people who do meet their requirements won't get offers either. There are universities where this isn't true - the average grades of their students are so far below their requirements that in practice they must be taking people who are many grades below, not just a couple - but in general the listed requirements are just that. You would need evidence that you were discriminated against. "I got offers from other universities with the same listed requirements" is irrelevant.
You have no right of appeal.

The Uni published their entry criteria. You ignored it and applied anyway. They said No.
You can't appeal an academic decision, even if you were predicted above the published offer, (unless they told you that was the reason for the rejection - and in those cases its most likely the feedback that was in error, not the decision itself).

You can appeal if you think there was an administrative error.

Not really that's the thing with applications a no is usually final however if your grades are better than predicted you could get in via adjustment you'd still hold your firm incase it's still a no but you could get in that way.
There's no adjustment in 2022.
Original post by jonathanemptage
Not really that's the thing with applications a no is usually final however if your grades are better than predicted you could get in via adjustment you'd still hold your firm incase it's still a no but you could get in that way.

Adjustment isn’t happening this year I believe
Not unless you want to look like a halfwit, no.
Reply 12
utterly ridiculous
Original post by Admit-One

Well in that case op should firm what would have been his insurance and put another place that he likes as an insurance.

Why is this the case?

How ridiculous - you cannot contest a rejection from a university that you do not have the qualifications for. That is like applying for a job at a top law firm, getting rejected and saying 'well McDonald's accepted me so I want to appeal your decision'. There is nothing wrong with McDonalds but their entry criteria is definitely different.
Original post by Thisismyunitsr
Why is this the case?

I haven’t heard an official explanation, but only around 100 students use it each year so I suspect that it just wasn’t worth the effort to administer it.
I haven’t heard an official explanation, but only around 100 students use it each year so I suspect that it just wasn’t worth the effort to administer it.

That makes sense. I qualified for it but the courses on there are pretty limited and if you do better than predicted you normally can go to your first choice anyways so why would you go through adjustment?
Original post by Googley_eyes
That makes sense. I qualified for it but the courses on there are pretty limited and if you do better than predicted you normally can go to your first choice anyways so why would you go through adjustment?

And most people who do better in exams than they expected would still want to go to their Firm choice - or would reapply the following year with 5 new choices. Clearing still allows folk to 'trade up' if they want to - but most would sensibly rather avoid all of that chaos and uncertainty.
Original post by mnot
It’s a different university, different admissions methodology.

The fact different universities made you an offer is not valid grounds for appeal. These are professional academics & admissions staff, please don’t waste their time on a frivolous appeal.

fair enough ive been looking into it and i think i got on due to contextual offers at im from a 'disadvantaged area' i think emailing them about this could work?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending