The Student Room Group

how do I get over the regret of not applying to Oxbridge? :(

I really really regret not applying to Oxbridge, especially because I stand a pretty decent chance of getting in. I got all 9s at GCSE, have 4A* predictions and got a high BMAT score. Not to mention, the Oxbridge environment/learning style appeals to me. Of course, a strong academic profile isn’t enough to secure a place but it definitely helps. I originally didn’t apply because my parents were really reluctant to let me move out, and I guess at the time I just accepted it, but recently I’ve been so upset that I didn’t just apply. I know im kinda sounding like one of those annoying typical TSR students right now, but I really can’t shake this feeling off. What do I do? :frown:
(edited 2 years ago)
Apply next year or just enjoy life at your next stage in life
Original post by boopboopbeep
I really really regret not applying to Oxbridge, especially because I stand a pretty decent chance of getting in. I got all 9s at GCSE, have 4A* predictions and got a high BMAT score. Of course, a strong academic profile isn’t enough to secure a place but it definitely helps. I originally didn’t apply because my parents were really reluctant to let me move out, and I guess at the time I just accepted it, but recently I’ve been so upset that I didn’t just apply. I know this must be pretty annoying to read since people have bigger problems, but I really can’t shake this feeling off. What do I do? :frown:(

Good grades and a high bmat are just a starting point. They do not guarantee an Oxford place. Medical school is stressful enough without the punishing Oxford expectations. As ecolier, our resident medical expert would say, it doesn’t matter which medical school you go to, you will still end up as a doctor.

Further, my younger son applied to Oxford because he loves research.

25 per cent of the first Oxford degree is a research project so if you don’t like that kind of stuff maybe it’s not the right place to apply to.

As it is Oxford has given him an opportunity to work in some fantastic laboratories and get some research papers published. He is probably going to go into research eventually.
(edited 2 years ago)
Also to help OM's point, when you get your placements, your university name will be blacked out, so noone can judge you on it when handing them out :biggrin:
You are correct, as ever . My closest school friend qualified as a doctor at Newcastle university and spent a few years working at tge John Radcliffe hospital in Oxford
Original post by Oxford Mum
Good grades and a high bmat are just a starting point. They do not guarantee an Oxford place. Medical school is stressful enough without the punishing Oxford expectations. As ecolier, our resident medical expert would say, it doesn’t matter which medical school you go to, you will still end up as a doctor.

Further, my younger son applied to Oxford because he loves research.

25 per cent of the first Oxford degree is a research project so if you don’t like that kind of stuff maybe it’s not the right place to apply to.

As it is Oxford has given him an opportunity to work in some fantastic laboratories and get some research papers published. He is probably going to go into research eventually.

Thats true, I know every medical school is amazing. I guess I’m just haunted by the “what if” thoughts, but I’ll get over it eventually. Congratulations to your son by the way, thats a great achievement :smile:
I really really regret not applying to Oxbridge, especially because I stand a pretty decent chance of getting in. I got all 9s at GCSE, have 4A* predictions and got a high BMAT score. Not to mention, the Oxbridge environment/learning style appeals to me. Of course, a strong academic profile isn’t enough to secure a place but it definitely helps. I originally didn’t apply because my parents were really reluctant to let me move out, and I guess at the time I just accepted it, but recently I’ve been so upset that I didn’t just apply. I know this must be pretty annoying to read since people have bigger problems, but I really can’t shake this feeling off. What do I do? :frown:

Why? All medicine degrees are equivalent - be thankful for any offers. You might not have been invited for an interview as everyone has great stats.
Reply 7

I know, of course, you do a lot of excellent and well appreciated work helping people get into Oxford when it's the right thing for them... but you're also absolutely right with your comments here as well.

Oxford isn't right for everyone and Oxford Medicine isn't right for all prospective medicine degree applicants. My daughter was encouraged by her school to apply for Oxford, but chose out of her eventual offers to study medicine at a non-RG University.... she just preferred the course structure and the general vibe of the place. Her degree is ranked at the same level as an Oxbridge medine degree or anywhere else for that matter.

The original poster doesn't explain why they regret not applying for Oxbridge. Hopefully it wasn't for the imaginary "prestige" associated with it.
That is true, thank you for the advice. I can see why you’re known as the residential medical expert haha
Original post by Funtimes01_
Don't regret anything. University is University. I went to Brighton University and many people shamed me for some reason, even though they were on the same teaching League Tables as the University of Sussex and Kent University. Bear in mind I could've applied to Oxbridge, Oxford, Cambridge, whatever, I did 4 years at Sixth Form and got A*,A,A,A,B,B in my final 2nd and 4th year exams, but chose Brighton and loved it there. Some really great and helpful staff over there. See what you get in your final grades, all offers are conditional until results day in August 2022. But honestly, please don't regret anything. Some of these top Universities aren't all that they are cracked up to be from knowing some people that went to them.

That’s reassuring to hear, thank you :smile:
Original post by meddad
I know, of course, you do a lot of excellent and well appreciated work helping people get into Oxford when it's the right thing for them... but you're also absolutely right with your comments here as well.

Oxford isn't right for everyone and Oxford Medicine isn't right for all prospective medicine degree applicants. My daughter was encouraged by her school to apply for Oxford, but chose out of her eventual offers to study medicine at a non-RG University.... she just preferred the course structure and the general vibe of the place. Her degree is ranked at the same level as an Oxbridge medine degree or anywhere else for that matter.

The original poster doesn't explain why they regret not applying for Oxbridge. Hopefully it wasn't for the imaginary "prestige" associated with it.

Its not so much the prestige, but the fact that it’s research oriented (which I like), in a beautiful location and just overall a great university. But I guess I escaped the high pressure environment which is a good thing, and it’s true that every medical degree is the same. I guess I just feel pretty bummed out because I had a small chance.
(edited 2 years ago)
I really really regret not applying to Oxbridge, especially because I stand a pretty decent chance of getting in. I got all 9s at GCSE, have 4A* predictions and got a high BMAT score. Not to mention, the Oxbridge environment/learning style appeals to me. Of course, a strong academic profile isn’t enough to secure a place but it definitely helps. I originally didn’t apply because my parents were really reluctant to let me move out, and I guess at the time I just accepted it, but recently I’ve been so upset that I didn’t just apply. I know this must be pretty annoying to read since people have bigger problems, but I really can’t shake this feeling off. What do I do? :frown:

People are under the misconception that the goal is to be at a certain university, the goal should be what do you want to achieve at university; now their are obviously different experiences & some unis offer different or more opportunities then others but the goal should really be about what you accomplish whilst at university wherever you land.
It doesn’t matter where you go for medical school. The real high achievers are those who work well as a team, respect everyone ( all the staff, the patients and their family) and go that extra mile. There will also be exams to pass, but I think that those with emotional intelligence make the best doctors of all.

I can remember my grandad praising his consultant, dr Hussain, in 1986. See I still recall his name. And mr watoo. The senior registrar who operated successfully on me in 2002. That will be your legacy too, when you become a doctor. Exciting, isn’t it?
It doesn’t matter where you go for medical school. The real high achievers are those who work well as a team, respect everyone ( all the staff, the patients and their family) and go that extra mile. There will also be exams to pass, but I think that those with emotional intelligence make the best doctors of all.

I can remember my grandad praising his consultant, dr Hussain, in 1986. See I still recall his name. And mr watoo. The senior registrar who operated successfully on me in 2002. That will be your legacy too, when you become a doctor. Exciting, isn’t it?

It is exciting indeed :smile: Thank you for the advice
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 14
I really really regret not applying to Oxbridge, especially because I stand a pretty decent chance of getting in. I got all 9s at GCSE, have 4A* predictions and got a high BMAT score. Not to mention, the Oxbridge environment/learning style appeals to me. Of course, a strong academic profile isn’t enough to secure a place but it definitely helps. I originally didn’t apply because my parents were really reluctant to let me move out, and I guess at the time I just accepted it, but recently I’ve been so upset that I didn’t just apply. I know im kinda sounding like one of those annoying typical TSR students right now, but I really can’t shake this feeling off. What do I do? :frown:

I hope that all the feedback on this thread reassures you. It seems very sensible to me! I agree with all of it.
I wouldn't even bother regretting it. There are other great universities out there to focus on.
Original post by Cote1
I hope that all the feedback on this thread reassures you. It seems very sensible to me! I agree with all of it.
I wouldn't even bother regretting it. There are other great universities out there to focus on.

I know that op will be happy when they start their training. It will be really interesting and absorbing and they will forget about Oxford. All the doctors I know seem pretty much addicted to medicine and like nothing better than to get together and talk about it all the time.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending