The Student Room Group

A-level options help!!

Hi I need some advice and would appreciate it if someone could help me.

I am year 11 student and its coming to that time where I need to start applying for colleges or 6th forms. I have already applied to my schools 6th form with these options: btec health and social care level 3, A-Level Biology and A-Level Chemistry. The thing is I'm open to studying nursing or midwifery after college/6th form and I'm pretty sure these options would allow me to. However my heart is mainly set on studying pharmacy. Would doing btec health and social care (along with A-Level Bio and Chem) set me back from being able to study pharmacy, or is the opportunity still there. If you think doing a 3rd A-Level is the better option, what would you recommend? If I decide to do a 3rd A-Level instead I don't want it to be something heavy like maths or physics, so what would be the best option that'll still give me a good chance to study pharmacy.

Sorry this is kind of long, but I'll appreciate any advice including what the workload for these A-Level sciences are like. Thank youuuu
Reply 1
Original post by aleeshaa05

I am year 11 student and its coming to that time where I need to start applying for colleges or 6th forms. I have already applied to my schools 6th form with these options: btec health and social care level 3, A-Level Biology and A-Level Chemistry. The thing is I'm open to studying nursing or midwifery after college/6th form and I'm pretty sure these options would allow me to. However my heart is mainly set on studying pharmacy. Would doing btec health and social care (along with A-Level Bio and Chem) set me back from being able to study pharmacy, or is the opportunity still there. If you think doing a 3rd A-Level is the better option, what would you recommend? If I decide to do a 3rd A-Level instead I don't want it to be something heavy like maths or physics, so what would be the best option that'll still give me a good chance to study pharmacy.

Sorry this is kind of long, but I'll appreciate any advice including what the workload for these A-Level sciences are like. Thank youuuu

Hi,
I am pretty sure you do not need biology or chemistry for courses like midwifery or nursing however for pharmacy, science A levels are crucial, especially if wanting to apply to a top university. Bio and chem are a great start, for a third I would say maybe psychology as it ties in with the other two subjects really well. Maths is also a great subject to have and isn't as heavy as you may think. I currently do it and really enjoy it.

Make sure you do your research before finalising your choices as it's so important that you know what you are getting yourself into and whether you will be able to hack studying it for the next two years as well as trying to keep as many doors open to you as possible.

Hope this was helpful!
Reply 2
Original post by Susan543
Hi,
I am pretty sure you do not need biology or chemistry for courses like midwifery or nursing however for pharmacy, science A levels are crucial, especially if wanting to apply to a top university. Bio and chem are a great start, for a third I would say maybe psychology as it ties in with the other two subjects really well. Maths is also a great subject to have and isn't as heavy as you may think. I currently do it and really enjoy it.

Make sure you do your research before finalising your choices as it's so important that you know what you are getting yourself into and whether you will be able to hack studying it for the next two years as well as trying to keep as many doors open to you as possible.

Hope this was helpful!

This was extremely helpful tysm! I have considered A-Level maths, and it's not that I'm bad at maths but even gcse maths concepts take some time for me to 100% understand, so I don't feel as if A-Level maths would be the best choice. I've also heard that bio and chem isn't needed for nursing etc, but I think beacuse I know I really want to do pharmacy I want to chose it. Would I be able to choose psychology if Im not doing it for gcses, or does that depend on the chool. What about sociology? Do you think this is a good option? But tysm for help, I appreciate sm because I feel a bit lost😭
This was extremely helpful tysm! I have considered A-Level maths, and it's not that I'm bad at maths but even gcse maths concepts take some time for me to 100% understand, so I don't feel as if A-Level maths would be the best choice. I've also heard that bio and chem isn't needed for nursing etc, but I think beacuse I know I really want to do pharmacy I want to chose it. Would I be able to choose psychology if Im not doing it for gcses, or does that depend on the chool. What about sociology? Do you think this is a good option? But tysm for help, I appreciate sm because I feel a bit lost😭

Not many schools offer GCSE Sociology/Psychology, I have yet to see a sixth form ask for the GCSEs (usually the requirement for Psy is Maths and English GCSE at a marginally higher level than the normal entry requirements - and also if you do study at GCSE, they may ask for a certain grade, for Sociology it's usually just English GCSE at a marginally higher level or even just the general entry requirements)
Reply 4
Original post by AmIReallyHere
Not many schools offer GCSE Sociology/Psychology, I have yet to see a sixth form ask for the GCSEs (usually the requirement for Psy is Maths and English GCSE at a marginally higher level than the normal entry requirements - and also if you do study at GCSE, they may ask for a certain grade, for Sociology it's usually just English GCSE at a marginally higher level or even just the general entry requirements)

That's so helpful tysm. If you study sociology or psychology, what's it like in terms of the workload and the difficulty?

Biology, Chemistry and Health/Social care are fine for pharmacy. Science subjects are also helpful for midwifery. I don't see how health/social would set you back from studying pharmacy :confused:
Original post by rosy_posy
Biology, Chemistry and Health/Social care are fine for pharmacy. Science subjects are also helpful for midwifery. I don't see how health/social would set you back from studying pharmacy :confused:

It's a BTEC and not all universities take them
Original post by AmIReallyHere
It's a BTEC and not all universities take them

Biology, Chemistry and something like Psychology then
Biology, Chemistry, Psychology and AS Maths would be the best combination to take to keep your options open fully!!! :smile:
Original post by thegeek888
Biology, Chemistry, Psychology and AS Maths would be the best combination to take to keep your options open fully!!! :smile:

Would the AS Maths be needed for pharmacy?
Would the AS Maths be needed for pharmacy?

There is some Statistics in MPharm.

Check pharmacy courses on unis websites to see what they say
Reply 12

I have my doubts because health and social care is a btec, but I guess it just depends on the uni thern
Reply 13
Original post by Emma:-)
Check pharmacy courses on unis websites to see what they say

Thank you thats useful to know
I have my doubts because health and social care is a btec, but I guess it just depends on the uni thern

See my other post:
(psychology does involve some maths but it could be a good option)
Biology, Chemistry and something like Psychology then
This was extremely helpful tysm! I have considered A-Level maths, and it's not that I'm bad at maths but even gcse maths concepts take some time for me to 100% understand, so I don't feel as if A-Level maths would be the best choice. I've also heard that bio and chem isn't needed for nursing etc, but I think beacuse I know I really want to do pharmacy I want to chose it. Would I be able to choose psychology if Im not doing it for gcses, or does that depend on the chool. What about sociology? Do you think this is a good option? But tysm for help, I appreciate sm because I feel a bit lostt

Hey, if you are worried about not understanding maths content straight away that is okay because as with everything practice makes perfect. Also, first year for Maths is consolidating most of your previous knowledge - theres been so many times where I was like, "Oh shoot, this is why I do this or that is so much more clearly". But of course, you know yourself best, so you'll be able to make the best judgement on what you think is best for you.

I don't think GCSE psychology or sociology is needed to pick it for A levels but you will have to double check with the individual colleges that you choose to apply to. Psychology is a great bridge between your two subjects and from my friends I know that sometimes the content can overlap with Biology.
Also, whatever career path you end up taking - Bio and chem are two great subjects which keep plenty doors open.
Hope this helps!!

Quick Reply

Latest