The Student Room Group

psychology Schizophrenia AQA

'Discuss issues associated with the classification and or diagnosis of Schizophrenia.'

I know what to talk about for A01 such as reliability, validity, culture and gender bias ect with the use of studies as examples but what do we then mention for A03?
Really sorry to jump on this, but ive an assessment on schizophrenia on monday and would love to hear peoples ideas
I think theres research to say that 2 psychiatrists diagnosed a different amount of people depending on whether they used the ICD or DSM, so theres a lack of validity and consistency
Theres the consequences of gender and racial bias, and how cultures vary
Cheniaux et al (2009) found that inter-rater reliability amongst two psychiatrists was low. One diagnosed 26 out of 100 patients with schizophrenia using the DSM, and 44 out of 100 using the ICD. The other diagnosed 13 using the DSM and 24 using the ICD. This supports that the classification and diagnosis of the disorder is lacking in reliability and validity.
Buckley et al (2009) found that 50% of schizophrenia patients also had a diagnosis of depression, 29% had a post-traumatic stress diagnosis, and 23% had an OCD diagnosis. This supports that there are problems with validity, namely the issue of co-morbidity.
There is gender and cultural bias present in the diagnosis of schizophrenia. Men are far more likely to be diagnosed, potentially because women are able to cope better with the symptoms, and people of African origin are also more likely to be diagnosed. Perhaps this is due to the cultural significance of ‘hearing voices’, which may be seen by white Western psychiatrists as unusual or bizarre. These factors support that the classification of schizophrenia lacks validity and reliability.

I got this off a website, to back up what i said above

Should you require it, i think there is a mark scheme online
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by Squiggles1238
Cheniaux et al (2009) found that inter-rater reliability amongst two psychiatrists was low. One diagnosed 26 out of 100 patients with schizophrenia using the DSM, and 44 out of 100 using the ICD. The other diagnosed 13 using the DSM and 24 using the ICD. This supports that the classification and diagnosis of the disorder is lacking in reliability and validity.
Buckley et al (2009) found that 50% of schizophrenia patients also had a diagnosis of depression, 29% had a post-traumatic stress diagnosis, and 23% had an OCD diagnosis. This supports that there are problems with validity, namely the issue of co-morbidity.
There is gender and cultural bias present in the diagnosis of schizophrenia. Men are far more likely to be diagnosed, potentially because women are able to cope better with the symptoms, and people of African origin are also more likely to be diagnosed. Perhaps this is due to the cultural significance of ‘hearing voices’, which may be seen by white Western psychiatrists as unusual or bizarre. These factors support that the classification of schizophrenia lacks validity and reliability.

yeah I have all of that to mention for A01 thanks, but if thats all the 'issues' mentioned in A01 the mark scheme says for A03 we discuss consequences of these issues but because A03 is worth 10 marks I am struggling to write 3-4 points for this.
Original post by idk__21
yeah I have all of that to mention for A01 thanks, but if thats all the 'issues' mentioned in A01 the mark scheme says for A03 we discuss consequences of these issues but because A03 is worth 10 marks I am struggling to write 3-4 points for this.

You can use the studies themselves to evaluate, for example, chenaux’s study- it there was consistency, then they would’ve diagnosed the same number of people using both diagnostic tools, and yet, they varied. This shows a lack of validity as different diagnostic tools will diagnose people differently, so one patient may be diagnosed as schizophrenic under the DSM, but not the ICD. This means that some people will be misdiagnosed, or not diagnosed at all, and therefore have the potential to miss out of the appropriate treatment
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by Squiggles1238
Cheniaux et al (2009) found that inter-rater reliability amongst two psychiatrists was low. One diagnosed 26 out of 100 patients with
schizophrenia using the DSM, and 44 out of 100 using the ICD. The other diagnosed 13 using the DSM and 24 using the ICD. This supports that the classification and diagnosis of the disorder is lacking in reliability and validity.

Which website did you get this information from please??
Original post by Lauren_3006
Which website did you get this information from please??

https://studyrocket.co.uk/revision/a-level-psychology-aqa/psychology-in-context/schizophrenia

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending