The Student Room Group

Not sure what to do about a levels

i got predicted low grades for a levels( in yr12) and my friend got predicted decent grades for the effort that they’ve put in but they’re still upset about they’re grades and want to do better but I’m not despite almost failing. I know I have to study better and put in more but it’s like I need to feel under pressure for me to study better. What should I do? Any help would be great thanks
>~<
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by EstL
i got predicted low grades for a levels( in yr12) and my friend got predicted decent grades for the effort that they’ve put in but they’re still upset about they’re grades and want to do better but I’m not despite almost failing. I know I have to study better and put in more but it’s like I need to feel under pressure for me to study better. What should I do? Any help would be great thanks
>~<

I feel the exact same
Original post by EstL
>~<

Whenever you feel that way just remember that you could be few steps away from being useless in life if you don't work hard. Your friends would do well and go on to do decent things in life and you will be that person, the one who everyone has quiet disgust for being lazy and incompetent.

You probably don't understand it yet, but if you continue that the path of lacklustre performance you will soon understand it.

hope it helps.
Reply 3
Original post by Wired_1800
Whenever you feel that way just remember that you could be few steps away from being useless in life if you don't work hard. Your friends would do well and go on to do decent things in life and you will be that person, the one who everyone has quiet disgust for being lazy and incompetent.

You probably don't understand it yet, but if you continue that the path of lacklustre performance you will soon understand it.

hope it helps.

Thanks for the help! I’ve been told that a lot by those close to me, I hope that, by seeing this from different person, it will give me a better perspective of my future...
Reply 4
Original post by Anonyxox
I feel the exact same

I hope the advice I was given will somehow help you and allow you to achieve the grades you deserve:crossedf:
Let’s work hard and do our best:rave:

Btw may I know what a levels your doing???
You could apply for an apprenticeship, as they require lower grades. University is more for academic people and if you aren't that (which low predicted grades would suggest), it isn't the best route for you.
You could also apply to a lower ranked university which asks for lower grades, but if you aren't into academia I wouldn't see the point in that.
Original post by EstL
I hope the advice I was given will somehow help you and allow you to achieve the grades you deserve:crossedf:
Let’s work hard and do our best:rave:

Btw may I know what a levels your doing???

It has motivated me a lot actually! Has it motivated you?

I’m doing Biology chemistry and maths wby?
Original post by rosy_posy
You could apply for an apprenticeship, as they require lower grades. University is more for academic people and if you aren't that (which low predicted grades would suggest), it isn't the best route for you.
You could also apply to a lower ranked university which asks for lower grades, but if you aren't into academia I wouldn't see the point in that.

I disagree with this a little. Doing badly at a levels doesn’t really mean you’re not an academic person, for example I actually did quite well at gcse because I put the work and effort in but when it came to a levels a lot of things impacted on my performance and it doesn’t mean I can’t change things around or am I wrong?
Original post by EstL
>~<

Try very very hard for your next small test in whatever subject. Actually revise - do practice questions. You will get a good score, much better than usual and it will feel incredible. Then you will realise what you are capable. I think the motivation will come if you taste that positive feeling. So give your next assessment your best shot. You’ll also get the satisfaction of understanding a topic - it won’t be a stressful one to revise when the time comes, as you’ll only have to remind yourself of it.
Original post by Thefatalbellman
Try very very hard for your next small test in whatever subject. Actually revise - do practice questions. You will get a good score, much better than usual and it will feel incredible. Then you will realise what you are capable. I think the motivation will come if you taste that positive feeling. So give your next assessment your best shot. You’ll also get the satisfaction of understanding a topic - it won’t be a stressful one to revise when the time comes, as you’ll only have to remind yourself of it.

I love this. It really motivated me thank you
I don’t think feeling bad about yourself will help. Work hard on something, produce a result that gives you a reason to feel good about yourself. Repeat.
Don’t feel intimidated by a hard topic. It’s not about false positivity and believing you understand topics that you actually don’t - it is about trusting that you can teach yourself anything, and persevering until you really do get to that point of understanding.
Reply 12
Original post by Anonymous238383
It has motivated me a lot actually! Has it motivated you?

I’m doing Biology chemistry and maths wby?

SAMEEE wow...:eek: It has motivated me! I do Ocr and Edexcel for maths wbu??
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 13

Don’t feel intimidated by a hard topic. It’s not about false positivity and believing you understand topics that you actually don’t - it is about trusting that you can teach yourself anything, and persevering until you really do get to that point of understanding.

Thank you for the help! It has motivated me! I’ll try to do my best today!:smile:
Original post by EstL
SAMEEE wow...:eek: It has motivated me! I do Ocr and Edexcel for maths wbu??

No wayy edexcel
Original post by Anonymous238383
I disagree with this a little. Doing badly at a levels doesn’t really mean you’re not an academic person, for example I actually did quite well at gcse because I put the work and effort in but when it came to a levels a lot of things impacted on my performance and it doesn’t mean I can’t change things around or am I wrong?

If a lot of things impacted on your performance, it can make your grades lower than they could have been. In your case it didn't necessarily mean you weren't academic. In my other post I meant that those who don't study much (bc they're not academic) and therefore end up getting lower grades are better off pursuing a non-academic route after sixth form.

Quick Reply

Latest