The Student Room Group

Which GCSEs for a GP

I do history, geog and triple science along with Spanish, English and maths. I’m not really keen on geography, if I changed to health and social, would that be better?
Reply 1
Same thought, most people (I could be wrong) who want to go into medicine just want to have a high-paying job and prestige for their family rather than the job itself.
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by Anonymous
I do history, geog and triple science along with Spanish, English and maths. I’m not really keen on geography, if I changed to health and social, would that be better?

Yes ecolier is right. Wishing you every success with your future studies!
Original post by The RAR
Same thought, most people (I could be wrong) who want to go into medicine just want to have a high-paying job and prestige for their family rather than the job itself.

I remember wanting to study medicine for that very reason.
Reply 4
Is it bad? I want to have time to do what I love in the future but I’m also really interested in medicine and helping others. Things like a surgeon is a lot of uni which would restrict me until I’m in my 30’s so I’m not sure what I’d be able to do? Do you have any ideas? I’d also be in a lot of debt and my friends have told me that I wouldn’t have any money because I’d be paying back all the uni debt. I really love biology, chemistry’s ok- not my favourite but not my worst subject. I also have interests in history and Spanish!

Thank you so much for your help :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by The RAR

I love helping others. Money isn’t a big factor in my career. As long as I have enough to have my basic needs, I’d be ok! :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by summerbirdreads
I remember wanting to study medicine for that very reason.

Did you study medicine?
Is it bad? I want to have time to do what I love in the future but I’m also really interested in medicine and helping others. Things like a surgeon is a lot of uni which would restrict me until I’m in my 30’s so I’m not sure what I’d be able to do? Do you have any ideas? I’d also be in a lot of debt and my friends have told me that I wouldn’t have any money because I’d be paying back all the uni debt. I really love biology, chemistry’s ok- not my favourite but not my worst subject. I also have interests in history and Spanish!

Thank you so much for your help :smile:

The time spent at uni (and thus the debt) is exactly the same whether you become a surgeon or a GP
(edited 2 years ago)
Did you study medicine?

Lol no... it was more of childhood Asian parents agenda conflicting my thoughts thing. I'm in year 13.
It's really lovely to see actually, my own GP looks exhausted, hope they're ok with all the new face-to-face stress. Also, not sure if you mind me telling you, I have a Newcastle interview and a Saint Andrews interview, all thanks to your help! Thank you!!
Thank you!! PRSOM! :colondollar:
my friends have told me that I wouldn’t have any money because I’d be paying back all the uni debt.

Are your friends the same age as you - i.e. 13 going on 14, just choosing GCSEs? Have a think about how much they know about university, studying medicine, student finance repayments and so on.

You're doing the right thing by researching it for yourself. Be very careful of the sort of urban myths about university which get passed from one generation of mid-teens to the next and often have no basis in reality.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending