The Student Room Group

Would I be able to take Japanese studies at uni if I didn't do Alevels.

For context, I am taking the UAL Creative Writing course which I know can get me into uni but I'm unsure whether I'd be able to study Japanese there. I have some basic knowledge of the language and culture but no qualifications to show for it.
If you know any UK unis that would let me apply please lmk!
You'd probably need to contact individual unis to see if your qualification meets their requirements. It's worth noting that Japanese (Studies) at uni is a reasonably "academic" course with a lot of exams etc, so unis often like to see you've done well in traditionally academic qualifications - also they may well want to see some language learning ability demonstrated (not necessarily in Japanese, but e.g. in a modern language otherwise). Language acquisition is just one part of a languages degree, and usually at least half will be the "studies" part, where you study the e.g. history, literature, politics, etc of the region(s) speaking the language. This tends to be very much in the vein of standard historical/literary critical/etc work so quite "academic" in nature.

That said there aren't a huge range of unis offering Japanese in the first place so it will probably not be too onerous to get in touch with each of them to find out if your qualification(s) would meet their entry criteria. Note though some may simply say they can't give any advice in advance of an application (I suspect Edinburgh would say this for example).
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by artful_lounger
You'd probably need to contact individual unis to see if your qualification meets their requirements. It's worth noting that Japanese (Studies) at uni is a reasonably "academic" course with a lot of exams etc, so unis often like to see you've done well in traditionally academic qualifications - also they may well want to see some language learning ability demonstrated (not necessarily in Japanese, but e.g. in a modern language otherwise). Language acquisition is just one part of a languages degree, and usually at least half will be the "studies" part, where you study the e.g. history, literature, politics, etc of the region(s) speaking the language. This tends to be very much in the vein of standard historical/literary critical/etc work so quite "academic" in nature.

That said there aren't a huge range of unis offering Japanese in the first place so it will probably not be too onerous to get in touch with each of them to find out if your qualification(s) would meet their entry criteria. Note though some may simply say they can't give any advice in advance of an application (I suspect Edinburgh would say this for example).

That makes sense. I did well in my GCSE's and took a modern language which might help. I was taking A levels last year but due to family issues and the added stress of the courses I had to drop it. Do you think they would consider that?
Btw thanks for your help
Original post by sophieamy
That makes sense. I did well in my GCSE's and took a modern language which might help. I was taking A levels last year but due to family issues and the added stress of the courses I had to drop it. Do you think they would consider that?
Btw thanks for your help

I don't think the reason for changing course will make much difference, they'll be looking at the end result of what you studied, however if you did well in GCSEs and did well in a language at GCSE then that is encouraging. You'll just have to find out from the unis if your current qualification is fine - for at least some I imagine it will be fine, or at least considered.
Reply 4
Original post by artful_lounger
I don't think the reason for changing course will make much difference, they'll be looking at the end result of what you studied, however if you did well in GCSEs and did well in a language at GCSE then that is encouraging. You'll just have to find out from the unis if your current qualification is fine - for at least some I imagine it will be fine, or at least considered.

Thank you. If it comes down to it I can just take a creative writing degree that lets me study abroad

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending