The Student Room Group

Help: Baking Donuts for Competiton

For Masterchef I'm thinking of making donuts, either 8 or 6 in total, half vanilla custard and the other half chocolate custard, unless anyone else has a better suggestion. I'm following a recipe from 'Nino's Home custard donuts' which I've made before and they tasted great but I wanted to make them look fancy so any ideas on how to decorate them? Im muslim so no gelatin based ideas please, also we only get around an 1hr and 15min. I'm going to make the dough at home and thinking of doing the 30 proof at school during the comp, but if I leave the dough in the school food tech rooms, would it proof whilst I'm in school? School starts at 8:30 (I get there around 8:15 on average) and my class finishes at 2:55pm so Id get to the room at 3:05 so Im thinking of pre-cutting the dough as well but my main worry is they over proof so any ideas on how to stop them proofing whilst I'm not there? Also, its really cold where I live s where could I leave my donuts when its time to proof them? Any other impressive desserts to make within 1hr 15 min would be appreciated!
Reply 1
So is this for a food tech exam or for masterchef?
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by I122
So is this for a food tech exam or for masterchef?

masterchef
Reply 3
hmm the donuts would prove and I don't think you can stop them from proving.

You have a huge selection of other desserts
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 4
For gelatin substitutes you can use agar agar

Desserts:
-macarons
-eclairs
-gateau
-swissroll
-tart
-chessecake
-tiramisu (with the ladyfingers done from scratch)
-pavlova
Reply 5
To decorate donuts elegantly, you can dip them in glaze (you can colour the glaze)

You can drizzle on one side some chocolate (either white or normal chocolate), and then stick to them decorations such as dried rasberries, small chocolate pieces, nuts or anything that looks good.

Also I have a foolproof recipe for macarons if u want

Hope that helps :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest