The Student Room Group

Is this A-Level combination good

Maths
German
Spanish
English Literature
(Btw I’m in year 11 don’t know quite what I want to do yet)

Scroll to see replies

why 4?
4 A-levels are not good.
Original post by AliMousavi05
Maths
German
Spanish
English Literature

Maths seems like the odd one out here?
They are so random
I dont think doing 2 languages is a good idea since it might get confusing, unless your looking to do languages in the future. The best thing to do would be to figure out roughly what you want to do in the future (like would you want to go into science or something business related or maybe humanities) then look at what a levels are typically needed to get you there. Some courses dont even ask for specific alevels just the grades so you could pick the ones you know you'll do good at.
Original post by heccyeah
why 4?

In my school we generally take 4 then drop one at A2 (I’m not sure if Ik good enough at English Literature)
Original post by Darkness_o
They are so random

Sorry I should’ve gave some backstory
Basically I’m generally good at languages and I enjoy them and my teachers are very passionate so I might want to take them further and I like maths and I’m good at it and English is the odd one for me personally however I think it’s a strong essay based subject and would blend nicely with my languages and I enjoy the lessons
Original post by Spelunker
I dont think doing 2 languages is a good idea since it might get confusing, unless your looking to do languages in the future. The best thing to do would be to figure out roughly what you want to do in the future (like would you want to go into science or something business related or maybe humanities) then look at what a levels are typically needed to get you there. Some courses dont even ask for specific alevels just the grades so you could pick the ones you know you'll do good at.

I either want to do languages, law with a language or economics with a language so I think they suit my options
Original post by chris01928
Maths seems like the odd one out here?

I just like maths and I feel like it would be a nice break from the essays
Maths
German
Spanish
English Literature

imo English and Maths aew a weird combination they dont rlly go together
Original post by the_pharaoh
imo English and Maths aew a weird combination they dont rlly go together

I’m gonna try them out and drop which ever one doesn’t take my fancy
If I did drop a language out of Spanish and German and maybe replace it with something like politics or biology which one should I drop?
I’m gonna try them out and drop which ever one doesn’t take my fancy

I think your A level ideas seem absolutely fine! You mentioned wanting to do economics, you might need Further Maths for that? But these options are good if you want to do languages, law, english. You could even do classics. Ignore people saying 4 A level is too much, most people at my school do 4 A levels and it is manageable.
If I did drop a language out of Spanish and German and maybe replace it with something like politics or biology which one should I drop?

If you want to study languages, unis tend to want 2 foreign languages at A level.
I just like maths and I feel like it would be a nice break from the essays

Maths is not a nice breask :lol:
Original post by chris01928
Maths is not a nice breask :lol:

Lmao true...
I would suggest doing one language, Maths and English are good as they keep options open if you are not sure what you want to do.
Original post by booklover1313
I think your A level ideas seem absolutely fine! You mentioned wanting to do economics, you might need Further Maths for that? But these options are good if you want to do languages, law, english. You could even do classics. Ignore people saying 4 A level is too much, most people at my school do 4 A levels and it is manageable.

Thank you and how coke further maths in needed for economics
Thank you and how coke further maths in needed for economics

It's not needed, but LSE's website says 'Further Mathematics at A-level is also desirable, and is acceptable for entry in combination with Mathematics and one other A-level.' It would make your application more competitive.

Quick Reply

Latest