The Student Room Group

Industrial links

Which universities have the best industrial links/employment prospects?
Reply 1
For which course?

Hi there!

To follow up on this, Bath does has excellent industrial links. Related to this, Bath’s placement scheme is excellent. Over two-thirds of students do a work placement or study abroad (compared to other universities where this is around 10-15%). The department of engineering have a really supportive placement team who’s role is dedicated to helping students find placements and supporting whilst they are on placement. This help is invaluable in allowing students to secure placements. We have an online database where all the placement vacancies are posted, which means it is easy to see what you want to apply for. Some of these are open to all students but some are Bath specific, which makes securing a placement much more likely. The team also help with CV and application checking and interview preparation. After you have secured a placement, the team ensure your contact is in place and keep in contact with you whilst you are working to ensure everything is going well.

Having industrial experience from placement gives Bath graduates good graduate prospects! What course are you hoping to study? I would be happy to provide more information!

Leah
Final Year Chemical Engineering
Reply 4
Engineering

Original post by ajj2000
For which course?
Reply 5
Original post by Quack#1
Engineering

Bath and Loughborough are well known for their links especially for year in industry placements.
Original post by Quack#1

Surrey
Loughborough, Strathclyde, Southampton, Bath and Heriot-Watt all have pretty good industrial links for engineering in general to my knowledge. Bristol has links with the nearby aerospace industry I gather, and Dundee and Aberdeen I believe both have links with the north sea oil and gas industry.

@mnot or @Smack might have some thoughts (or disagree with the above)?
Original post by artful_lounger
Loughborough, Strathclyde, Southampton, Bath and Heriot-Watt all have pretty good industrial links for engineering in general to my knowledge. Bristol has links with the nearby aerospace industry I gather, and Dundee and Aberdeen I believe both have links with the north sea oil and gas industry.

@mnot or @Smack might have some thoughts (or disagree with the above)?

Loughborough, Bath, Southampton, Bristol as mentioned are all strong engineering with good links.

Im not familiar with the Scottish unis tbh, although I think some are heavy into oil & gas industry partnerships (although tbh the companies which funded the research are quickly moving into renewables, e-fuels and using hydrocarbons for thermal applications rather then fuel.. oil isn’t quite what it once was).

id add unis such as: leeds, Sheffield, Nottingham, Imperial.

Id also say just find a course & university you enjoy, plenty of good engineering departments not mentioned here.
I think industrial links depend quite heavily on the industry in question, rather than there simply being a list of universities that have really good links with absolutely everything. Some industries are clustered around certain locations, so geography can play a role in links too.

However, I don't expect anyone who goes to have half-decent university to be penalised by your university having "poor industrial links", and unless you have something specific in mind for when you graduate (e.g. F1), I'm not sure it's something you can chase anyway.
Original post by Quack#1

Hi there,

To introduce myself I’m Joao. I am in my final year studying BSc Economics at Surrey University while working as a Campus Ambassador for JP Morgan. I recently finished my one-year industrial placement as an Economist for the British Government’s Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs (Defra). I also had the opportunity to work as a Private Secretary to the Minister of Environment and Biosecurity.

Surrey has an enviable record in the graduate jobs market, with consistently large numbers of graduates going into high-skilled jobs when they leave. This is no accident; the pathways to their later success are laid down during their studies. The university has an exceptional placement programme for its students and is renowned for working closely with the business community. For a third year running, we have been recognised as the Best University Placement Service (Over 750 Placements) at the National Undergraduate Employability (NUE) Awards 2021.

Our consistently high ranking is a result of our relentless focus on graduate employability and the success of our Professional Training placements, which we pioneered 60 years ago and in which we continue to be a world leader today. Surrey is highly unusual in offering Professional Training placements to almost all of its undergraduates, regardless of their degree subject. More than 2,300 partner organisations work with us to give our students valuable work placements in the UK and abroad.

If you have any questions about Surrey or uni life in general, then please ask as I am here to help you out :smile:

Joao
Economics
(edited 2 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending