The Student Room Group

University transfer

Currently my predicted grades are BCC, and I will most likely get into a university I would not prefer, however if I get AAA at the end of the year would it be possible to transfer to a better university after the first year?
Transferring mid study is never a recommended idea, but it's definitely possible. If you can achieve an AAA by enrolment. It may be worth checking clearing or changing before the first years end.

However, if your plans are already in place to move for the first year, id recommend reconsidering whether changing universities mid Degree is going to be beneficial for your study, as it could impact your grades.
Reply 2
Original post by Jordan Wheel
Transferring mid study is never a recommended idea, but it's definitely possible. If you can achieve an AAA by enrolment. It may be worth checking clearing or changing before the first years end.

However, if your plans are already in place to move for the first year, id recommend reconsidering whether changing universities mid Degree is going to be beneficial for your study, as it could impact your grades.

Thankyou I’m definitely going to try my chances through adjustment and clearing however in the likelihood I don’t find a place I would prefer graduating from a better university even if I have to transfer mid study.
Have you considered withdrawing and applying with achieved grades instead? That way you know exactly where you stand from the start.
Reply 4
Original post by HousesInCork
Have you considered withdrawing and applying with achieved grades instead? That way you know exactly where you stand from the start.

To do that wouldn’t I have to reapply next year? And I’d rather not take a gap year.
Original post by dear-j
Currently my predicted grades are BCC, and I will most likely get into a university I would not prefer, however if I get AAA at the end of the year would it be possible to transfer to a better university after the first year?

Transferring is risky because either the uni or course that you want to move to may not consider it. Then you’d be stuck on your original course. There is info about how the process works in the Transfer FAQ.

Adjustment isn’t taking place in 2022, so you would have to use Clearing to change course / uni on results day. You’d have to give up your existing offer to use it though.

If you end up with AAA and clearing doesn’t work out, you would honestly be better off taking a gap year despite your reluctance.
Reply 6
Original post by Admit-One
Transferring is risky because either the uni or course that you want to move to may not consider it. Then you’d be stuck on your original course. There is info about how the process works in the Transfer FAQ.

Adjustment isn’t taking place in 2022, so you would have to use Clearing to change course / uni on results day. You’d have to give up your existing offer to use it though.

If you end up with AAA and clearing doesn’t work out, you would honestly be better off taking a gap year despite your reluctance.

Thankyou for the advice. I’ll see what happens.
Original post by dear-j
Thankyou for the advice. I’ll see what happens.

No worries. The FAQ is a good source of info. The general advice is not to start a course with the intention of transferring.
Reply 8
Original post by Admit-One
No worries. The FAQ is a good source of info. The general advice is not to start a course with the intention of transferring.

Btw I was wondering would it not be possible to apply for adjustment for a university directly without using ucas? Because even tho ucas have said they wont do adjustment some universities online have said they’ll still do it but the dates haven’t been confirmed.
Original post by dear-j
Btw I was wondering would it not be possible to apply for adjustment for a university directly without using ucas? Because even tho ucas have said they wont do adjustment some universities online have said they’ll still do it but the dates haven’t been confirmed.

Unis that use UCAS can’t accept direct applications, (it’s against their agreement with UCAS).

Adjustment isn’t physically happening so I think those unis are just saying that they’ll go through the clearing process with you whilst you hold an offer elsewhere. Usually you’d need to give up the offer first.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending