The Student Room Group

Is uni worth it?

I don't want to "miss out on the experience" but at the same time is it really worth it for the debt ur left in and the degree u might not use

What do u guys think?

Scroll to see replies

The debt only lasts for a few years tbf.
I went for an education, not for the uni experience. And yes, it was worth it.
Original post by black tea
I went for an education, not for the uni experience. And yes, it was worth it.

A lot of people go and end up not even using the degrees they got, so in that case it wudnt be worth it?
Original post by HelloHello143
A lot of people go and end up not even using the degrees they got, so in that case it wudnt be worth it?

well that's their choice. I picked a degree I knew I would use.
Original post by black tea
well that's their choice. I picked a degree I knew I would use.

Fair enough
You have to go to uni to become a dentist so it's 100% worth it for me. I couldn't care less about the uni experience tbh.
Reply 7
if the main thing you're concerned about is 'the experience', then no
Reply 8
I don't want to "miss out on the experience" but at the same time is it really worth it for the debt ur left in and the degree u might not use

What do u guys think?

It's embarrassing to go to university
Original post by Vijara
It's embarrassing to go to university

Care to give explanation lol
I am going to university to do something I enjoy learning about, but I know I don't want to pursue and having no idea what I want to do with my life, I'd say I am going for the experience but also to get a degree.
Reply 11
Care to give explanation lol

It's just ****ing nerdy af. I hate academic people
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by Vijara
It's just ****ing nerdy af. I hate academic people

But why academic people??
Fully agree 🙌

What do u guys think?

Yea definitely, especially with the student loan situation in the UK you'll most likely not end up paying back the full amount that you borrow. I've just started my first year and am loving it, ofc uni is about the degree as well as the social life but the social life has been very fun too!

I think you should go to uni for BOTH the degree and the social life. If you really have no clue what degree to do, either continue with ur research of unis & degrees until you do know, or consider taking a gap year. That might seem scary rn, but I've met so many people in my year who have taken a gap year so you defo won't be alone if you decide to do that. Personally I knew what I wanted to do by the time it was time for me to apply, but the above users are right- don't just go for 'the experience' because you have to be at least a little interested in the subject ur studying (or revision will get really boring lmao)
Reply 15
Original post by hungrysalamander
I hate ignorant people who think "nerd" is an insult. Please leave your mum's basement and look at the real world for once.

I'm not trying to insult anyone, I'm just saying there nerds at university

Original post by whatcjidn
But why academic people??

Because they are arrogant, they think they are gods because they've done well in a few exams, it's just embarrassing
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by Vijara

Because they are arrogant, they think they are gods because they've done well in a few exams

If u couldn't be bothered to write a personal statement then just say that

lol
Original post by ah6100tsr
The debt only lasts for a few years tbf.

30 years sounds like more than a few to me?
Original post by Vijara

Because they are arrogant, they think they are gods because they've done well in a few exams, it's just embarrassing

Sounds like there are people who work harder than you.... and they deserve to go to university because of it. And yes, you are insulting everyone who goes to university. In fact, you're the arrogant one for suggesting that getting a good education is for nerds and that you're too cool for higher education. What an embarrassing comment.
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 19
Original post by ajj2000
30 years sounds like more than a few to me?

haha, quite. 'a few' times 10 :lol:

Quick Reply

Latest