The Student Room Group

is economics hard

i just want to know what degrees are worth it and if economics is hard.
I have just finished my first year in economics never having studied it before and truth be told it was very doable. Often the difficulty depends on the uni you go to but from what I’ve seen and been told it is a very doable degree granted you put in the work required in the form of extra reading.
I finished my Econ degree, and it depends on how much work your willing to put in, and how much you like maths. You will encounter lots of maths during an economics course, and to get a good grade lots of extra reading will be needed
Original post by Magnum_nasus
I have just finished my first year in economics never having studied it before and truth be told it was very doable. Often the difficulty depends on the uni you go to but from what I’ve seen and been told it is a very doable degree granted you put in the work required in the form of extra reading.

Original post by Cheesybread
I finished my Econ degree, and it depends on how much work your willing to put in, and how much you like maths. You will encounter lots of maths during an economics course, and to get a good grade lots of extra reading will be needed

hii during gcse’s i had a lot of family issues and mental health issues it was rly bad i nearly got put in a foster home etc. so bc of this revising and grades were the last thing i cared ab so my gcses are a bit rubbish

im currently in y12 doing a level 3 business national extended diploma and i was looking at courses and im rly interested in econ. i decided that i dont need to let a few rubbish years affect my whole life so this year im gonna pay to resit my gcse maths and aim for a 7/8 then next year im planning to self study maths alevel. ive asked a lot of people on TSR and even asked my teacher and he said this is definitely possible.

i was just wondering if u think economics is realistic for me? im really interested in doing it as it’s a really well respected degree, i genuinely think a lot of the modules are very interesting, and u can get pretty high paying jobs if u implement ur skills well enough. but ive never really believed in myself i never evem thought i’d pass more than 2 gcses because of how low my self esteem is so idk. do u think its worth a try or maybe i should just find something else to do. soz if this became a bit deep lol i dont want sympathy im just curious for other people opinions tysm sorry if this was long xxx
Original post by estella135
hii during gcse’s i had a lot of family issues and mental health issues it was rly bad i nearly got put in a foster home etc. so bc of this revising and grades were the last thing i cared ab so my gcses are a bit rubbish

im currently in y12 doing a level 3 business national extended diploma and i was looking at courses and im rly interested in econ. i decided that i dont need to let a few rubbish years affect my whole life so this year im gonna pay to resit my gcse maths and aim for a 7/8 then next year im planning to self study maths alevel. ive asked a lot of people on TSR and even asked my teacher and he said this is definitely possible.

i was just wondering if u think economics is realistic for me? im really interested in doing it as it’s a really well respected degree, i genuinely think a lot of the modules are very interesting, and u can get pretty high paying jobs if u implement ur skills well enough. but ive never really believed in myself i never evem thought i’d pass more than 2 gcses because of how low my self esteem is so idk. do u think its worth a try or maybe i should just find something else to do. soz if this became a bit deep lol i dont want sympathy im just curious for other people opinions tysm sorry if this was long xxx

Economics is a great subject and really broad so you can go into lots of fields, but don't do a degree just for the potential money as it can be very hard to get those jobs, and may take a long time to move up in a company. You should only do the subject because you want too, as a degree can be very demanding and costly.
Depends on your background, aptitude, and interests. Economics at uni is very mathematical, and some people do very well, and others very poorly, in mathematical subjects.
Original post by Cheesybread
Economics is a great subject and really broad so you can go into lots of fields, but don't do a degree just for the potential money as it can be very hard to get those jobs, and may take a long time to move up in a company. You should only do the subject because you want too, as a degree can be very demanding and costly.

yeah i get what u mean, either way im gonna go uni im just not sure what course to do. i watched a YT vid of a girl who does economics at bath and she was explaining some of her modules and i genuinely find it so interesting, im just worried i will struggle a lot
Original post by estella135
yeah i get what u mean, either way im gonna go uni im just not sure what course to do. i watched a YT vid of a girl who does economics at bath and she was explaining some of her modules and i genuinely find it so interesting, im just worried i will struggle a lot

If you're interested in the subject it will motivate you to do better
Original post by Magnum_nasus

Which uni did you go?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending