The Student Room Group

Struggling in second year

With covid last year and everything being online it was actually easier than being in person. I wasn’t as anxious, with group work I’m really struggling, I hate letting people down but I have zero motivation for lectures I feel as though I have no idea what’s going on in my course and I’m considering dropping out but I know I need this degree and I don’t know whether to just hold out or give up as it’s getting to the point where the stress is overbearing. Anyone have any advice.
yea i feel the same way cba for the lectures and liked it when they were online. I would just try your best to tank it and focus on the assessments, on what its asking from you.
Reply 2
Original post by issycook
With covid last year and everything being online it was actually easier than being in person. I wasn’t as anxious, with group work I’m really struggling, I hate letting people down but I have zero motivation for lectures I feel as though I have no idea what’s going on in my course and I’m considering dropping out but I know I need this degree and I don’t know whether to just hold out or give up as it’s getting to the point where the stress is overbearing. Anyone have any advice.

IZZY. it is the EXACT same for me! i can relate to everything you have said.

anywayy…
1. i would suggest first talking to a counsellor/friend/tutor etc. someone who can be your comfort blanket and support you no matter what before dropping out. i’ve never been one for counselling but i’m going to start because my attendance this year is the worst it has ever been. definitely start with that and see if things some what improve.
2. what i’ve been trying to do is something i enjoy. i have procrastinated far too much this year and am behind with all my assignments but i’m trying to recharge and get my energy back by dancing (as i usually enjoy that). i’m hoping i see some improvement by doing that.

if things still aren’t making you much better then 100% drop out. there is no point of always being behind, being overwhelmed with stress, being miserable because you’re not mentally able. (not that you have mental problems aha, it’s just sometimes we aren’t in the right frame of mind to cope with situations). for this reason, after doing what i’m trying, i would suggest deferring for another year once you’ve had a break, because who know…maybe that’s all you need. it seems apparent that this is the course you believe will help you but coming from someone who is literally experiencing what you are i know it isn’t easy being behind and having all this stress. i’ve noticed my mental health deteriorating and wouldn’t wish that for anyone. therefore if things don’t improve in the next month (before/just after christmas break) then take a break, recharge and discover how to revert back to your happier self and feel far less stressed.

i hope i haven’t just ranted too much and this is somewhat useful xx
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 3
No that was really helpful actually, yeah I’ve applied for the counselling and spoken to my lecturers so hopefully that will help a bit and now I’ve got sport back properly I should be alright I just seem to be focused on everything other than my actual uni work but thank you xx

Quick Reply