The Student Room Group

Underwhelmed by course

Hi,

First time posting here so sorry if this isn't the right place!

I'm currently finding university very underwhelming - Its not that my subject (Computer Science at University of Huddersfield) is boring, it's the content we are learning just seems very basic. I'm in second year now and some of the stuff we go over in the lectures are basically repeated from last year.

I thought there would be some advanced stuff within our coding projects but again, its just basic stuff that doesn't require much knowledge. I'm by all means a smart or know it all type person - I actually don't know that much in regards to coding and computer science in general.

The only thing that I've found quite difficult at times and I feel like I'm actually learning stuff is within the computational mathematics module since I didn't do maths before coming to university (I did BTEC Computing)

I really kind of expected University to be quite difficult and I would actually be learning some advanced stuff but all its been is just disappointment.

For anyone that's curious I have around 11 contact hours, 3 days in and 5 lectures a week (one of which is 2h long) - I don't know if this is a lot but compared to my other friends, they seem to get a lot more than I do.

Is anyone else kind of going through the same thing?
Reply 1
Oh, Max... now you have to get a first. If you're feeling underwhelmed, most of the time, it's overconfidence from your part. Alternatively, it could just be that you're very good at what you do, and, indeed, you find it easy.
Reply 2
Original post by gtty123
Oh, Max... now you have to get a first. If you're feeling underwhelmed, most of the time, it's overconfidence from your part. Alternatively, it could just be that you're very good at what you do, and, indeed, you find it easy.

I wouldn't say I'm overconfident at all nor am I good at what I do - I genuinely wouldn't class myself smart at all as I never been the type of person to get high grades. I am projected to get a first within the course though.

The course just feels very basic in terms of what is being taught to us and it's a huge disappointment. Maybe I'm missing something or maybe I chose the wrong Uni - In the first year, I found it basic as well but everyone finds first year pretty normal/nothing too complex so I assumed second year would be kind of that step up but there hasn't been one at all.

Feel like I'm wasting money at this point....
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by MaxB81
I wouldn't say I'm overconfident at all nor am I good at what I do - I genuinely wouldn't class myself smart at all as I never been the type of person to get high grades. I am projected to get a first within the course though.

The course just feels very basic in terms of what is being taught to us and it's a huge disappointment. Maybe I'm missing something or maybe I chose the wrong Uni - In the first year, I found it basic as well but everyone finds first year pretty normal/nothing too complex so I assumed second year would be kind of that step up but there hasn't been one at all.

Feel like I'm wasting money at this point....

I can understand why you'd feel like that, but at this point I'd attribute it more to how the course content was set out to be by the university. Before starting your course, were you aware (even if roughly) of what to expect in years 1, 2 and 3?
Reply 4
Original post by gtty123
I can understand why you'd feel like that, but at this point I'd attribute it more to how the course content was set out to be by the university. Before starting your course, were you aware (even if roughly) of what to expect in years 1, 2 and 3?

Yes I roughly did but did not go over it too much to be quite honest. - As in, I didn't look in-depth into the content and what I will be studying.
Reply 5
Original post by MaxB81
Yes I roughly did but did not go over it too much to be quite honest. - As in, I didn't look in-depth into the content and what I will be studying.

I'd argue this is probably one of the main reasons you're feeling this way about your course.
Reply 6
Original post by gtty123
I'd argue this is probably one of the main reasons you're feeling this way about your course.

I guess there's not much I can do but to suck it up and finish the course.... It's a shame really. Makes me scared asf about the future to be quite frank (after I finish my course) cause as I've already mentioned, the content seems so basic that I'm worried when I finish the course and it's time to apply for a job, I won't know much while others that went to a different university will most likely know more complex stuff.

I've really ****ed up or on the other hand maybe I'm stressing too much. I really don't know - I've always had a constant fear of education. Like when I was in college (didn't go to the brightest college), I was always stressing about whether this stuff will help me in University because it was again, basic stuff and now that I'm university, it's almost the same cycle. It's not just me really that feels as tho the course is pretty basic, I've talked to some other people on the course that feel the same way in my uni
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by MaxB81
I guess there's not much I can do but to suck it up and finish the course.... It's a shame really. Makes me scared asf about the future to be quite frank (after I finish my course) cause as I've already mentioned, the content seems so basic that I'm worried when I finish the course and it's time to apply for a job, I won't know much while others that went to a different university will most likely know more complex stuff.

I've really ****ed up or on the other hand maybe I'm stressing too much. I really don't know - I've always had a constant fear of education. Like when I was in college (didn't go to the brightest college), I was always stressing about whether this stuff will help me in University because it was again, basic stuff and now that I'm university, it's almost the same cycle. It's not just me really that feels as tho the course is pretty basic, I've talked to some other people on the course that feel the same way in my uni

All you can do is make sure you take it seriously and do well in the course. Don't let yourself be put off by its ease. Some of it will be useful during your career.

Unlike gtty123, I won't try and gaslight you into second-guessing your assessment of this course. Some course really are just not hard. (Anecdotally, I've known some very unacademic folks who attended, ahem, some ex-polytechnic institutions, and somehow were managing to get high firsts. But I've known people from those same institutions who go on to have great careers, so having such an alma mater won't condemn one to unemployment and serfdom.)

On the bright side, the thing which helps you get jobs from a degree is mostly not the degree contents. It's:
a) having the degree, to even get an interview
b) being able to program

Based on my experience interviewing people, b) is certainly not guaranteed by a lot of universities. The best thing you can do to prepare yourself for a job actually be able to write code. I don't mean "write object oriented code with dependency injection and the latest fancy framework" (I certainly don't do this), I mean literally be able to use conditions, for loops, and the other fundamentals, in order to solve problems.
CS is meant to be taught at uni level from the very beginning, so its likely if youre so far ahead you'll feel this way. Maybe read ahead of your syllabus / start a project?
Reply 9
Original post by MaxB81

Some of the things you've learned will definitely help you later on - irrespective of whether or not you found them 'hard'. However, even though the course may seem basic, don't let that stop you - try to get the best grades possible, the best work experience (if relevant) and overall have a good time.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending