The Student Room Group

cut on thumb

​I cut my thumb open while slicing a bagel. I could see the fat in the cut yesterday but it's blocked by blood today. Do I need to do anything or is this fine to heal by itself?
Any advice on the best way of treating this thumb injury?
I’m not a biologist so this isn’t my expertise, but have you used a plaster yet? I think it would heal regardless but that cut leaves an entrance for pathogens to enter and that’s a big no any day.
Original post by Sabertooth
I cut my thumb open while slicing a bagel. I could see the fat in the cut yesterday but it's blocked by blood today. Do I need to do anything or is this fine to heal by itself?

You know better than to ask for medical advice here!!
I cut my thumb open while slicing a bagel. I could see the fat in the cut yesterday but it's blocked by blood today. Do I need to do anything or is this fine to heal by itself?

:console:
i think it will heal by itself but put a plaster on it
Reply 5
Original post by 0ptics
I’m not a biologist so this isn’t my expertise, but have you used a plaster yet? I think it would heal regardless but that cut leaves an entrance for pathogens to enter and that’s a big no any day.

I'm allergic to them.

Original post by Bang Outta Order
You know better than to ask for medical advice here!!

:getmecoat:

I put alcohol on it last night. Hurt like a mofo.
I'm allergic to them.

:getmecoat:

I put alcohol on it last night. Hurt like a mofo.

tips hat
I did not want to see that :lol:

I had a cut somewhat deep like that and went to the A&E- the lady said good call, gave it an iodine bath, and taped the devil shut as hard as she could.

Mind you I cut myself while dicing some ham and vegetables, though, not a bagel.
Best thing you can do is wash it regularly, use anti septic cream on it (sudocrem for example) and bandage it up. If it goes septic, then I would go to the doctors and have it checked out. Pretty deep wound
Not discouraging you from seeing a medical professional as that is definitely the best course of action (doesn't need to be a doctor, a practice nurse should be able to advise - I'm not sure what the equivalent is the the US, sorry!) but I have had deeper cuts on my thumbs that healed fine. I think I injured nerves both times though as I had a lot of neuropathic pain afterwards (basically, a very sharp stabbing/burning pain whenever I brushed against my thumbs even lightly that lasted for months), but I'm not sure if seeing a health professional would have prevented that.

If you choose not to see anyone about it now, if it get more painful or red or swollen, or if there is any pus coming out of the wound, you should definitely speak to someone as those might be signs that the cut has gotten infected and that you might need some antibiotics.

Hope it heals soon!
cut it off and post it to me for analysis
keep it clean and dry
Original post by the bear
keep it clean and dry

I went swimming... :colondollar:

Ok, so it keeps bleeding - I've been putting antibiotic ointment on but it randomly bleeds. I take it that it's too long for a doctor to do anything?
Reply 13
I went swimming... :colondollar:

Ok, so it keeps bleeding - I've been putting antibiotic ointment on but it randomly bleeds. I take it that it's too long for a doctor to do anything?

omg dude : O it looks pretty deep. if its still bleeding you might need stitches? hope you feel better soon. and why would you go swimming with such injury ffs

Original post by GGGG_GayUnit
rub salt in it

rub some in your eyes bby
Original post by GGGG_GayUnit
rub salt in it

I doubt that would hurt more than the alcohol I cleaned it with. :wink:
Original post by Ciel.
omg dude : O it looks pretty deep. if its still bleeding you might need stitches? hope you feel better soon. and why would you go swimming with such injury ffs

Yeah it keeps randomly bleeding. I might go to the walk-in center after work. I just didn't want to go only for them to laugh at me.

Swimming...yeah. I want to lose weight :colondollar:
Reply 16
Yeah it keeps randomly bleeding. I might go to the walk-in center after work. I just didn't want to go only for them to laugh at me.

Swimming...yeah. I want to lose weight :colondollar:

you should really go. why would they laugh at you? it's their damn job
lose weight, huh? get a german shepherd.... they need like 2h long walks every day lol
Original post by Ciel.
you should really go. why would they laugh at you? it's their damn job
lose weight, huh? get a german shepherd.... they need like 2h long walks every day lol

I dunno, it just seems kind of small and insignificant. A couple years ago I went with a deep cat scratch and they took one look and told me to get antibiotic ointment - that ****er needed stitches, and I now have a bad scar from it.

Haha, I have 4 cats. :tongue: I swim for an hour and work 9-5 everyday so wouldn't be able to give a dog the life it needs.
Reply 18
I dunno, it just seems kind of small and insignificant. A couple years ago I went with a deep cat scratch and they took one look and told me to get antibiotic ointment - that ****er needed stitches, and I now have a bad scar from it.

Haha, I have 4 cats. :tongue: I swim for an hour and work 9-5 everyday so wouldn't be able to give a dog the life it needs.

aww, i love cats
but yeah in that case, a dog is prob a bad idea, it would wreck your house : <

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending